Thread: Your feelings right now...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Reds Your feelings right now...

So how are you guys feeling about these Reds right now? Overall, was it a successful season or a one we can continue to expect?

I think it is somewhere in between. Perhaps, if we look at our thoughts from previous post seasons moments as we sit at home and see other teams battle it out for the biggest crown in baseball, we may notice that we continue to say the same things.

"It will get better next year. We have youth, we will be healthy again, and hopefully the addition of some outside help will bring forth a chance at contention."

Are we still riding that same wave? Or are we feeling a bit more pessimistic? Too much reality creates ultimate understanding sometimes. Or, can we honestly state that next season will be different?

A few things come to mind that target the difference in comparing next season to years past. First, what a way to finish a year. With several members of the staff going down with injuries, we still finished very strong (thanks a lot in part to one Bronson Arroyo). Is this a sign of things to come?

Our youth is arguably the strongest it has been in a very long time. So many players have room for improvement and have not reached their ceilings yet. And there is still more help developing.

The addition of Bryan Price will be welcome as well. He seems to be the guy who gets to know his players personally. It is amazing to work for someone you can trust and generally enjoy being around. And hopefully, he can help the pitchers through their struggles when the time arrives. But seeing the front office act on matters that seem to stop working, and make changes in areas that need changing, reflects great credibility upon us fans.

The worst part about the offseason will be the mentioned little movement if any factor. Yes, we need a shortstop. Maybe we will get a surprise. But I think it would be healthier for us to realize that a lot of money is already being spent and that we may not be getting much help at all.

So, how are we feeling about the coming season?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Your feelings right now...

Rotation needs to get and stay healthy, that's probably the Achilles' Heel right now. Cueto was good before he got hurt, then never looked the same. Volquez never got the engine started. Harang had his moments.

And Slyder will be the biggest advocate of this, I think, but they really need to stop wasting playing time and at bats with veterans like Willy Taveras. Yes he can't hit, but he's a player best served as a backup on a contender, that only uses him as a pinch runner and defensive replacement. He's not a 400-500 at bat guy on a team that needs to give way to youth, and commit. I don't know about Rolen, at least he's still a quality Major League Player and until further evidence provided, is probably an upgrade over Encarnacion, despite the age and contract difference.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

You need to come back. Seriously, we need you. You have no idea how dumb this is. Please, just for a day or something.

/threadjack
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA

Reds Re: Your feelings right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    Rotation needs to get and stay healthy, that's probably the Achilles' Heel right now. Cueto was good before he got hurt, then never looked the same. Volquez never got the engine started. Harang had his moments.

And Slyder will be the biggest advocate of this, I think, but they really need to stop wasting playing time and at bats with veterans like Willy Taveras. Yes he can't hit, but he's a player best served as a backup on a contender, that only uses him as a pinch runner and defensive replacement. He's not a 400-500 at bat guy on a team that needs to give way to youth, and commit. I don't know about Rolen, at least he's still a quality Major League Player and until further evidence provided, is probably an upgrade over Encarnacion, despite the age and contract difference.
    What are you talkin about Willis? I am Willy T's #1 fan . Okay enough sarcasm before everyones BS meter breaks.

We need another offensive force in the middle of the lineup and maybe another arm for the rotation. The lineup picked up once Taveras and Gonzalez were out of it. But Im not certain it as is would be enough especially considering Duhhhsty Baker is still the manager and making out lineup cards.

Bruce needs to show the talent every scout has said since he was drafted has. Become the all star that they predicted. We need either an upgrade at catcher or shortstop (not going to touch the BP to SS issue its not going to happen, Cincy doesnt have the outside of the box thinking in the inner circle). Also need Gomes to not be a 1 yr wonder and CF needs sorted out. Can Dickerson stay healthy, is Stubbs the answer, will the Reds do the right thing and eat Tavares' contract? With who's in power (more directed at the inner circle than Walt) I am not sure the Reds can/will spend the needed money to fill the gaps.

In a perfect world Cueto or Bailey would be our ace and cause the rest of the rotation to fall into a nice flow, but theres no guarentee with young arms. So I would like to see a middle of the rotation arm brought in (not our usual crap) and give us a solid rotation top to bottom maybe not spectacular at any one spot but go into every game with the thought we can win with the pitching.

Right now this team can still be a third place team, I dunno if the depth is there to deal with injuries to be more.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yes Slyder, you are stating that there are holes to fill. But I have a suspicion that we are not going to be buyers in the FA market.

I personally think our pitching will be fine. Volquez, Harang, Cueto, Arroyo, Bailey. Like Zito mentioned, if healthy, this rotation is solid. I think it is what kept us in the race in teh first half. Matter of fact, it is exactly what put us in that position. The offense is offensive at best. But with our young guys maturing and the addition of Rolen, we may have something.

And I agree, Tavares is an asset defensively and on the basepaths, but he should never pick up a bat again. Every year we have our Tavares though. Which sparks the question that will be addressed in a new thread today.

But I see where you guys are at. You guys have the feeling that we must add. I share that feeling. But I am also optimistic about our youth. I think a healthy season will be a much more prominant one.