Thread: Reds select RHP Michael Leake

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reds Reds select RHP Michael Leake

Fastball: Leake threw his fastball from 88-94 mph. It sat comfortably around 91 mph.
    Fastball movement: There was above-average sink and plenty of side-to-side movement, with some run to it. He changes arm angles for different looks.
    Slider: It's a hard, downward slider, thrown 79-82 mph.
    Curve: An average offering ... not an out pitch. He can throw it for strikes in the 73-76 mph range.
    Changeup: Close to a plus pitch and he'll throw it at any point in the count.
    Control: He has plus, plus command, perhaps a 70 on the scouting scale.
    Poise: It's a plus, plus attribute. He has the presence to pitch in the big leagues right now. He's more of a lead-by-example guy -- soft-spoken, but confident.
    Physical Description: Leake is an undersized righty, but is athletic and strong, kind of like a Tim Hudson type.
    Medical Update: Healthy.
    Strengths: Four pitches that are all usable and the ability to command all of them extremelly well. He's extremely durable, having thrown as many innings as just about anyone in the class over the past few seasons.
    Weaknesses: There's a little hip turn in his delivery, but it doesn't affect him. There will be those who'll be concerned about his size.
    Summary: As a six-foot righty, people may want to overlook Leake as a big-time pitching prospect, but they might be missing the boat. He can throw four pitches for strikes and his poise is off the charts. He may not be that big, but he's athletic, strong and durable with an extremely efficient delivery. He's done nothing but perform with the Sun Devils and whoever looks past his size could have themselves a steal.
    This was a safe pick, but not a bad pick by any means. There were some younger kids on the board that probably have more upside, but also more risk. Leake has pitched in a competitive division and with success. By all accounts he is a fierce competitor, keeps the ball in the yard, and should be a fast mover through the system. I could see him being ready by mid-2011. There is a lot about him in his scouting reports that gives me an impression that he could be like a Roy Oswalt type (height, attitude, etc.)

Solid pick Reds. Thanks Chris Buckley.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Reds select RHP Michael Leake

If the Reds are lucky, they might have gotten a steal due to Leake's height. We have heard about draft war rooms wary of the short pitcher (Tim Lincecum for example, but his delivery confusion also contributed.)

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Matzek is obviously one of those with more upside, but he wants Porcello money. He's got good leverage against the pitching needy Rockies.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Leake's secondary pitches are near MLB quality already, couple that with his control, and I am liking this pick more and more.

Here is a vid of Leak pitching. I'm a little surprised to see them take a righty with all the lefties available and a big need for a lefty in the rotation but they must have really seen something in Leake that they liked.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think that since Leake does project to be a fast mover, it had to play big for him. If the Reds decide to cut payroll at the end of the season or in the future, Arroyo and Harang's big backend extensions will have to be considered (along with Phillips' final year on his) so I am sure they like the thought of depth to be had sooner than later.