Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ed E up with the club?

Will Encarnacion get the call?
    Could replace injured outfielder Kelly

By John Fay
    Enquirer staff writer

If the Reds aren't going to call up Austin Kearns to replace Kenny Kelly on the 25-man roster, who will get the call?

Don't be surprised if it's third baseman Edwin Encarnacion who is with the team when they open a three-game series in Cleveland tonight. As of Thursday, an Edwin Encarnacion was registered at the Reds' hotel in Cleveland.

Kearns said he doesn't expect to get the call, and Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said on his radio show that calling up Kearns was "highly unlikely."

Encarnacion, 22, is generally considered the best prospect in the Reds organization. He has played well for Triple-A Louisville - .292, 12 home runs and 46 RBI with a .370 on-base percentage and a .503 slugging percentage.

He recently was named to both the International League All-Star team and the world team for the Futures Game.

The Reds might want to give him a taste of the big leagues. The three-game interleague series against Cleveland this weekend would give him a chance to get some at-bats.

Encarnacion is also the only position player on the 40-man roster other than Kearns with any kind of reputation as a hitter.
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...506240417/1071

AA ERA
    Interesting note. But to be honest I dont want him up here unless hes playing. Its the same with Bergolla. Why have the guys on the big club if they are riding the bench. Unless this is a sign of Randa being moved shortly and they want him to learn a few things from the vet. While EdE deserves being in the big leagues, that is the only logical reason at this point.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep very interesting news. Volzok has it right though, calling him up would only be good if Randa were being moved. Something may be brewing fellas!

It makes sense to have him on the team while we're playing interleague, because we have the extra hitter, but i don't know if it's worth it to have him up after that. I'm surprised Romano isn't getting the call. he's hitting in AAA and DanO loves him.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Edwin being called up seems to be the worst kept secret in town. Folks have chimed in that they have packed a uniform for him and that they have a room at the hotel for him. Of course he's being called up.

We as fans have a right to seem skeptical. We just want to know that Dan has a plan. My guess is he'll DH these 3 games in Cleveland and then he'll either go back to AAA shortly thereafter or Randa will be dealt. If he is treated like Bergolla then Dan O blew it again.

If Bergolla is up here then he should be getting the majority of starts at 2B instead of Aurilia. I give Aurilia credit for raising his game but when you're 16.5 games out you play to develop players. Bergolla should not be used as a utility INF.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If a Randa deal isn't in the works, I am going to be pretty upset with this. Ed E needs as many AB's (and fielding opportunities) that he can get. And I agree with Ray on playing Bergolla over Aurilia while he is up here.

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    If a Randa deal isn't in the works, I am going to be pretty upset with this. Ed E needs as many AB's (and fielding opportunities) that he can get. And I agree with Ray on playing Bergolla over Aurilia while he is up here.
    And when Freel comes back? you want Begrolla back in the minors, or do you want to bench Freel too?

Kelly is out for a month at least i would say, so this just doesn't make any sense unless randa is on the way out. I'm hoping that he'll go to the twins. They need the help at the plate (randa would lead the team in OPS by close to 50 points) and they have a ton of pitching. I doubt they'd part with Jesse Crain since he seems to be their closer of the future, but i like carlos silva who is still young, boof bonser and j.d. durbin at AAA, and AA reliever Williams. I'm sure the reds could work something out for Randa for some of those guys.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by albbla2000mu
    And when Freel comes back? you want Begrolla back in the minors, or do you want to bench Freel too?
    Bench Freel? No. Bergolla needs to be getting Ab's. Aurilia has no future with this team or the direction of the franchise, Freel does as does Bergolla. So till Freel is healthy Bergolla should be playing and making the most of his MLB time.

ok, just making sure.

from the st paul paper:

"General manager Terry Ryan said he has been perusing teams' rosters for a potential deal, but that's not unlike any other time. He said ownership likely would approve any trade-deadline move he would deem necessary to improve the team. The non-waiver trade deadline is July 31...Cincinnati third baseman Joe Randa ($2.15 million salary this season) and San Francisco third baseman Edgardo Alfonzo ($7.5 million) could be on the trading block because their struggling teams are expected to have fire sales. "

The infield situation is getting weird. When will freel be back? Aurilia is going to cry again when he has to hit the bench, and he needs to be delt ASAP, while he's hitting. With EdE up we now have a ton of guys who should be getting regular ABs, and only a few slots for them. Lopez is a given i think at short. So that leaves 3rd and 2nd for Randa, EdE, Freel, Bergolla, and Aurilia. Randa and Aurilia should be batting to show them off for trades, Freel is the spark of the offense, and EdE and Bergolla are still developing, so it doesn't make sense to sit any of them.

What's going on DanO?
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    Give playing time to guys who might actually be on the next good Reds team. That doesn't include Joe Randa, Rich Aurilia, and possibly Ryan Freel.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I hope it does include Freel. But Wally makes a great point. Aurilia may be getting his ABs for a hopeful trade situation. I wish we had a clue as to what DanO is up to. And I hope he has a clue himself.

Quote Originally Posted by albbla2000mu
    No, I consider Freel the starter at 2B for this team and leadoff hitter. The only reason to bring up Bergolla is to spell "Freel" at 2B. When Freel is ready to go, Bergolla should go back to AAA and a utility type guy like Olmedo should be brought up to complement Aurilia who also is a utility INF in my opinion and should be treated as such.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast