Thread: A pointless rumor or is Cueto really hurt?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Injury A pointless rumor or is Cueto really hurt?

This sounds more like speculation than anything, but losing Cueto would obviously be a huge blow for a team that is likely to be a bit short in the run scoring department. Let's just hope and pray that this is nothing other than a bad source/bad info.

Is Cueto hurt or is it just a rumor?

By Hal McCoy | Monday, March 9, 2009, 12:02 PM
    Latest comment

How rumors start or how information leaks out - take your pick for now.

An American League scout walked into Bright House Field’s media dining room Monday morning and quickly asked, “How’s Johnny Cueto?”

“He’s fine, why do you ask?”

“I heard he’s hurt,” said the scout. “How bad is it?”

That prompted a quick visit with Cincinnati Reds manager Dusty Baker, standing at the batting cage.

“Is Cueto hurt?” he was asked.

“No, why do you ask? I haven’t heard that at all,” said Baker. When told a scout was talking about it, Baker said, “I’ll talk to Dickie Pole (pitching coach) and have him call Mario Soto. But I haven’t heard that at all. Maybe it’s because he pitched 4 2/3 innings Sunday and came out. But I’m sure that was because he reached his pitch count.”

The scout said he heard it from, “A Reds’ official,” so we’ll have to wait to see what Soto tells Pole and also see if Cueto pitches again for the Dominican Republic. During his 4 2/3 innings Sunday against Panama, he struck out five and didn’t give up a run, giving up three hits and walking one.

Injuries are something that causes every major-league manager and executive to hold their breath until the World Baseball Classic concludes.
    The Real McCoy | Cincinnati Reds baseball news

MLB ERA

Re: A pointless rumor or is Cueto really hurt?

Why have the Reds sent two very young pitchers to the WBC, knowing they'll come back to Dusty?

I feel bad for Reds fans. I really do.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

You don't get to have as bad as a record over the last eight or nine years like the Reds have had without making mistake after mistake. You have to be a determined loser to do that.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Thankfully this seems to be false, according to Jocketty.