Thread: Reds sign OF Johnny Gomes

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Free Agent Reds sign OF Johnny Gomes

Per Rotoworld.com:
    Reds signed outfielder Jonny Gomes to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

Gomes made $1.3 million last season, but was non-tendered by the Rays last month after hitting just .187. He'll earn $600,000 if he makes the team, with another $200,000 in potential incentives. If Gomes does crack the Opening Day roster, it'll likely be as a bench bat and platoon player.
    A platoon partner for Dickerson it seems. Not a bad signing for what it is as it is low risk, but sadly I think we'll see more moves like this over the next few weeks than anything to address our major lacking of a run producing LF.

MLB ERA

Re: Reds sign OF Johnny Gomes

So we lop all our money together and get two of with power potential but huge contact issues (Nix and Gomes), trade Freel for Hernandez, and Willy Tavares.... Why didnt we just go after a legit bat?

If Gomes is the "answer" and on the MLB roster at any point Reds are in bigger trouble than even the most pessimistic fans thought.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Rookie ERA

He does have some power, and it's not like the Reds broke the bank to bring him in. If he doesn't work out, it's not a huge loss. He could be a good value pick up.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    He does have some power, and it's not like the Reds broke the bank to bring him in. If he doesn't work out, it's not a huge loss. He could be a good value pick up.
    I'm just sick of Cast saying "the winning starts now" and then proceeds to bring in the same crap the Reds have done with the likes of Russell Branyan, Ryan Dumpster, Eric Milton every year. This team needs serious and legitimate UPGRADES not rolls of the dice.

There are guys out there that were not going to break the bank that would actually provide track records of being more than junk but we go after the worst option (based on catching numbers) for catcher on the HOPE that he behaves here and returns to "career norms" and the fact he speaks spanish... At the same time we trade an OPTION for OF that may not be the most durable (when playing everyday) but you know he can be at least league average OF. To replace said OPTION for Util OF we go out and try to trade for then sign the one guy that Corey Patterson might be able to actually say is a lateral move for 2 years guarenteed 6 mil who needs balls to break just right to not be a complete and total BLACK HOLE on offense. Absolutely nothing is saved.

We have a guy who may or may not have had a career year last year in his first shot in the majors. He projects by just about EVERY scout as a plus defender in CF, so what do we do? We call him up and stick him in LF (after spending most of the past 2 years at AAA in CF) while Corey Patterson eats up 300 abs. Now with all the brew ha ha over defense you would think all the Reds would do is give this guy a chance in CF and see if maybe he could be Mike Cameron lite... Nope they go out and give 2 yrs 6 mil guarenteed to a guy whos an average glove but is super fast... Plus pretty much cram up any chance of a guy like Drew Stubbs among other AAA OF of being given a legitimate chance to see MLB time if they earn it at the position EVERY scouting agency has said they should.

While some teams go into the winter meetings looking improve, our priorities were....

Jerry Hairston
    Laynce Nix

Of late we have been tied to:

Garrett Anderson
    Jermaine Dye
    Luis Gonzalez

All of whom could be great 1 year rentals. Too bad were not even freaking close to competing and at best IMO treaded water.

I wouldnt mind this move if there was some sign we might actually be TRYING to win at some point. But theres been not a single move to really help the future. I'm sick of losing and I'm sick of being told by the FO that we will win just to sit back and watch us do the same things over and over again.

WK was fired because the team wasnt winning enough... so far Walt hasnt done anything to improve it other than to trade Griffey for a reliever and a slick fielding 2b and giving Dunn away for a pitcher who looks like a hitter, an injury ?, and a guy who can play a few places (no where good), questionable catching skills (which if thats so eliminates any value, and a very light bat. If this was the plan might as well kept Wayne around. His little bit of a track record has shown to be able to find and sign some quality guys later in the draft. Also turning guys like Cory Lidle (RIP), Jeff Conine into ANYTHING via trades. Who knows maybe he could have gotten more out of Dunn, maybe not.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

MLB ERA

Gomes won't hurt anyone. He is not a bad option for a year. He can hit and run a bit. His fielding is OK. He fits best in left, IMO, as he does not have a great arm.
    Here is his Baseball-Reference page: Jonny Gomes Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He fills the void of striking out too much left by Corey Patterson.
    Sorry slyder.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    He fills the void of striking out too much left by Corey Patterson.
    Sorry slyder.
    So now we got the guy who grounds to SS too much (Tavares)
    The guy who strikes out too much (Gomes)
    Whos going to you know make up the runs that Dunn represented?
    Whos going to replace Patterson in Duhhsty's mind that he has to make 1000s of excuses as to why he keeps getting played? Maybe Tavares?

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Gomes won't hurt anyone. He is not a bad option for a year. He can hit and run a bit. His fielding is OK. He fits best in left, IMO, as he does not have a great arm.
    Here is his Baseball-Reference page: Jonny Gomes Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
    Like I said above, I wouldnt have problems with this if we were bringing in legitimate UPGRADES. But all we've been doing is adding guys who at best are allowing us to tread water.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Well, you know the answer to the Dunn question. It's.. Dunn. There's been nothing on him lately, maybe you'll get lucky and get him back at a discount price.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Did you not see the Adam Dunn's asking price thread?