Thread: Jocketty is confusing me

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

News Jocketty is confusing me

I have gone from being really dissapointed earlier this afternoon, to being a bit more optimistic this evening. Here is what set me off earlier today:

per C Trent:

On if the Reds are done: "I think right now, if we had to go to camp, we’d be fine with that. I’ve talked to Dusty a couple of times today. We’re still looking to improve our bench."

What that means about left field: "Right now, Jerry will play in left field a lot; Chris Dickerson will play out there. The bench we’d like someone with a little pop. We don’t have any power off the bench."

Also, more on how this team will be different with Taveras and Hairston as potential every-day guys: "We looked at what we could do to try to change the offense of this club, we’ve gotten away from the home runs and improve our speed and defense. We’ve got guys who are better athletes and create some havoc on the basepaths and do something that is a little of different than we’ve done in the past. But we've still got some power with (Joey) Votto, (Jay) Bruce, Brandon (Phillips) and Edwin (Encarnacion) -- and even (Ramon) Hernandez."

"I think in our ballpark, you’re going to have guys hit home runs. We may not have the 30-40 home run guys. We’ve got speed, we’ve improved our defense. It’s a different formula."
    Naturally, reading that Jocketty feels like this team simply needs pop from the bench and they are close to being complete makes me very worried for this team. Also, his saying that we may being going into this season with a different philosophy on offense. This is the second time he has said this in the offseason. But it conflicts with the statements that were made all offfseason long with their biggest need being a right handed bat that can hit between Votto and Bruce.

Then I read Fay's report:
    --On trade talks: Jocketty said he has talked to the Yankees. The Yankees are reportedly looking to move Nick Swisher or Xavier Nady. "I've talked to (GM Brian) Cashman a lot.

--On obtaining the much-talked-about right-hander RBI man: "I'm not turning my back on it. But we may end up going into spring without one. I'm going to try to strength the bench a bit and add an outfielder."
    Still not promising, and pretty aggravating to say the least, but at least he is talking to GMs still. Perhaps the bat for the bench would be moving Hairston to the bench when they trade for a guy like Nady or Swisher. Then again, this doesn't add to the power bat for the bench that he is looking for.

I'm confused.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Jocketty is confusing me

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    I'm confused.
    There's so many places I can go with this...but this time I'll be nice.

After reading all that I can see that Jockety wants the pop, but yet they are doing something different this season on offense. It's just a lot of garble for something simple for him to state.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Re: Jocketty is confusing me

I wonder what Jocketty's GM discussions are like?''Hello, can we talk about getting a star player for dirt cheap''?Really?Why?Oh,ok then.