Reds happy to play on Father's Day
Players pleased to provide occasion for families to gather
By Kyle Jepson / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- For many families across the country, Father's Day is celebrated at the ballpark, hot dog in hand and pencils ready for a chance to teach sons and daughters how to score games.
For players, however, this day is drastically different.

True, the better part of the day is spent at the ballpark. But instead of spending that time with kids, players are providing the opportunity for families to enjoy a day in the sun.

"I remember when I was growing up, on Father's Day, we'd to go a Braves game," Todd Coffey said. "And the fact that all these fathers and sons, and fathers and daughters, want to come watch us play is great. It's awesome."

A father of two daughters, ages 4 and 1, Coffey will now be playing against the Braves this Father's Day. Alongside him will be teammate Joe Randa, a father of two sons, ages 6 and 4.

"I think it's special," Randa said, "that we can provide entertainment for families and provide a situation where a family can come together and be in the ballpark and share quality time together. While the game of baseball is special, it's not too fast-paced where you can't carry on a conversation.

"I think it has more to do with just being with your son than it has to do with being at the ballpark. It's a good opportunity for the family to be together and come to an event. And baseball's special in that way in that it's a summer sport. Anytime a father gets to spend quality time with his son and explain the game of baseball or explain situations in life, it's pretty special."

Where the players do miss out, though, is getting that quality time with their own kids.

Coffey said he makes sure to have his daughters at the ballpark on Father's Day to spend as much time as possible. For Randa, a lot of that time will come after his career is over.

"I think every player realizes that your window of opportunity, [the] length of your career, is short," he said. "So I think guys realize that and put aside all the special time you miss -- the Father's Days, the Mother's Days, the Fourth of Julys. But there's going to be a point in time when you can spend a lot of time with your families. You work your whole life to get to where you are today."

The good news for Reds players is that this year's game is at home during the day. A Cincinnati native, Ken Griffey, Jr. has every intention of leaving the ballpark as early as possible to spend time with his family. His plans? No different than most American families -- possibly a movie and a barbeque. But, of course, his kids have the final say in the matter.

"It's not like Mother's Day, where moms get breakfast in bed and everything like that," he said. "It's usually, 'Dad, get up! Let's go, we've got things to do!' They have a whole agenda for you. That's Father's Day."

And this Father's Day, like most of his summer days, he'll be in the ballpark, providing the backdrop for families to spend their afternoon.
Click here for the article link