Thread: Miley on Milton: "I thought he pitched better and made some positive steps..."

MLB ERA

Miley on Milton: "I thought he pitched better and made some positive steps..."

Reds get blown out in Boston
    Milton gives up 11 hits as Red Sox smack Cincinnati, 10-3

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

BOSTON | On a positive note, for only the second time in 12 starts this season, Cincinnati Reds pitcher Eric Milton did not give up a home run.

That's no home runs, zero, in Fenway Park, where if a gnat sneezes behind home plate the next pitch blows over the Green Monster.

On a negative note, Milton gave up 11 other types of hits — five doubles and six singles — and the result was much the same as with most of his starts.

He gave up nine runs and his earned run average combusted from 7.46 to 7.97 in a 10-3 loss to the Boston Red Sox

It was the first Reds-Red Sox game since the 1975 World Series and it wasn't anything that would make anybody forget Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Ken Griffey Sr. and Tony Perez.

Asked if he is at the end of his rope, Milton quickly said, "You could say that. It's not fun. I've had a lot of starts and had a lot of losses, but I'm still confident I'm going to be a winner for this team."

He didn't say what year.

On the opposite side, Matt Clement, the man with the ugliest beard-goatee-scraggly hair this side of Harvard Square, held the Reds to three runs and six hits over eight innings to push his record to 7-1.

That's in contrast to Milton's 3-8 ... and $25.5 million doesn't get a team much these days.

Nonetheless, manager Dave Miley somehow sniffed out a few positives from the smoldering ashes.

"I thought he pitched better and made some positive steps, some improvement," said Miley.

The beleaguering manager cited two defensive snoozes that buried Milton after he retired the first seven Red Sox.

Curiously, the Reds made some strange and bizarre moves and decisions in the past couple of days that led to the game's determining foul-up for the Reds.

First, on the eve of playing three games in an American League park, where the designated hitter is required, the Reds sent outfielder Austin Kearns to Class AAA Louisville.

On Monday, they could have had sure-fingered Kearns in right field and clank-fingered outfielder Wily Mo Pena as the designated hitter. Instead, a ball slithered off the end of his glove and into the seats for a three-run home run by Manny Ramirez against Matt Belisle.

That, though, was pumping more water down the already drowned Reds lungs because those were the eighth, ninth and 10th runs.

Instead of using Ken Griffey Jr. in center field, where he played so many, many times while wearing a Seattle uniform, Miley used Griffey as DH and stuck Ryan Freel in center field, a patch of Boston acreage he had never covered.

As so often happens, the baseball found him quickly.

With the score 0-0 in the third with two outs and two on, Edgar Renteria lined one to center. Freel took a couple of steps forward, false steps, missteps. By the time he realized the ball was hit harder than he gauged, it was over his head and slithering to the wall, a two-run double that started the Red Sox on The Road to Rout.

"That ball Freel broke in on made all the difference, two runs in a 0-0 game with two outs," Miley said. "Who knows what would have happened."

They do know what did happen.

Milton gave up two runs on three hits in the third, three runs on five hits in the fourth and four runs on two hits and two walks in the sixth.

But no home runs.

When team medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek does exploratory surgery on pitcher Paul Wilson Friday, he should give the Reds a two-fer and do some exploring on Milton, too. Something is radically amiss.

There was another noteworthy mishap that made Milton's night even tougher to traverse.

Ramirez led the fourth with a double. With one out, catcher Javier Valentin returned a pitch to Milton high and wide. It bounced off his glove and Ramirez took third on the error.

Four of the next five Bosox hit safely and a 2-0 lead became 5-0.

"You can't fault Javier, the ball was slippery and a few slipped out of my hand, too," said Milton, referring to a night on which the temperature was 92 when the game began.

Asked if Milton would go back out there on his next turn, Miley said, "You guys will be the first to know if we make a change."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    "When team medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek does exploratory surgery on pitcher Paul Wilson Friday, he should give the Reds a two-fer and do some exploring on Milton, too. Something is radically amiss."

Amen to that Hal.

AA ERA
    "You can't fault Javier, the ball was slippery and a few slipped out of my hand, too," said Milton, referring to a night on which the temperature was 92 when the game began.
    God helps us when it gets really humid in Cincy. I do like in the article though how Hal basically rips Miley for the stupid lineups. Thats what I like about him and Marty. They tell it like they see it. Hopefully Hudson comes out strong tonight.

MLB ERA
    Some folks act like Marty and Hal like Miley so much that they won't question his thinking, but I just don't see that so far this year. I think they've been fairly hard on him.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AA ERA
    I agree with you CRF. They have seen enough games to know stupid things when they see it. Hal also kind of rips Miley in the other article you posted saying how Griffey will be in the lineup tomorrow against a lefty unlike last week. I would be hard on him too until he starts doing the right moves. I wonder if Felipe would still be riding the bench if Aurilia never got hurt. Boy thats scary to ponder. Forget I brought that up.

"I thought he pitched better and made some positive steps, some improvement," said Miley.
    Was you taking a big s*** when Milton was pitching? he got drilled. 9 runs on 11 hits is pathetic!

MLB ERA
    If this was the exception instead of the rule then i could see where this is coming from. But when Milton hasnt had a quality since May 23, has had two in his last ten starts (IMO 7+ inn, 3 runs or less), the team is 3-7 when he starts since the team bailed him out against Chicago, his ERA has ballooned to heights that not even Danny Graves reached, and hes improving???
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

More words of wisdom from Dave Miley,that moron.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    "When team medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek does exploratory surgery on pitcher Paul Wilson Friday, he should give the Reds a two-fer and do some exploring on Milton, too. Something is radically amiss."

Amen to that Hal.

You think maybe he will be on the DL for WHIP LASH from too many allowed HRs.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)