Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESPN reports..... Griffey Traded to White Sox

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

Re: ESPN reports..... Griffey Traded to White Sox

Actually, (crosses fingers) it probably means that once Hairston is back with the ball club he takes over CF and Keppinger stays at SS.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

.538 OPS in over 200 AB's. Hey, at least he is better than Andruw Jones.... then again, I am probably better than Andruw Jones.

(I still don't understand why they just don't eat the contract and take the dangerous poison out of the baby's hands (ie Dusty.))

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

This was THE dumbest move of the day and season. Griffey is now expected to go play CF for the White Sox with Swisher moving to first. Kenny Williams made a move just to make a move and it wasn't a good one. Any word on who the Reds got back and how much either team is paying for Griffey's salary?

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Sadly, Griffey has had to deal with a lot of resentment from the fans due to management being unwilling to see what needed to be done. Him leaving centerfield should have happened a few seasons before than it actually did. Him leaving the three spot should have happened sooner.

Like you, I'm happy that we'll be able to move past his lock on that spot, but knowing Dusty I don't know if we can expect the right move to be made in his replacement either.
    Right on. Actually what I was referring to were reports that Jr will be playing some CF for the Chisox. That'd be a disaster. If Chicago doesn't go to the post season this year Jr will get a lot of blame.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    This was THE dumbest move of the day and season. Griffey is now expected to go play CF for the White Sox with Swisher moving to first. Kenny Williams made a move just to make a move and it wasn't a good one. Any word on who the Reds got back and how much either team is paying for Griffey's salary?
    check out my thread, it says who the reds got
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Reliever Nick Masset, minor league infielder Danny Richar for Griffey and 4 million dollars to cover the rest of his 08' paycheck (although I've heard different cash totals.)

Neither are amazing, but it's quite a decent return considering Griffey's current value.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Right on. Actually what I was referring to were reports that Jr will be playing some CF for the Chisox. That'd be a disaster. If Chicago doesn't go to the post season this year Jr will get a lot of blame.
    Yep. Plus there could be conflict over Griffey and his batting spot, not to mention if he gets a taste of CF again and Guillen comes to his senses and moves him back to a corner.... that would be a pretty direct slap to the face for a guy who isn't very thick-skinned like Griffey.

I am just glad we got to see a vintage Griffey homerun last night. It's a bit ironic, he goes out in the way we were hoping to see him lead us to a new dynasty, with a towering no-doubter type of a shot.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I agree with reefer. Dumb move for the ChiSox. I am not complaining about this at all. Griffey will be missed, but it's just his presence and happy-go-lucky attitude that will be missed. Certainly not his bat or defense.

I am interested to see if Guillen is as dumb as recent Reds management in batting him 3rd as well. That would be foolish. Why not move him to DH and have Thome play 1B?

AAA ERA

well this may or may not have been the right deal...more than likely may...but it kinda hurts to see Griffey dealt after the years in Cincy..i'll probably have to pull for the Chisox as well as the Red Legs now...but not nearly as much..

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Well I don't understand why the deal was made, Is it true that the Reds are paying the salary of griffey till the end of the season? Then at seasons end the Reds are planning on resigning him? I heard this on ESPN. Anyways, I dont like the deal, Masset is a good player he just needs a little more time. But I still would have looked at getting a starting pitcher. Almost every team could use an upgrade in the rotation and the Reds are a team that could use the help. My honest opinion is Griffey wanted out, he wanted a shot to play in the playoffs and a shot at playing in a world series. I dont think he gets the chance with Chicago. Minnesota will win the division. Liriano is back and if he can pitch like he did in AAA he will be more than enough to put the Twins over the top.

Finally, was there any interest in moving Dunn? To me he is a piece that would draw alot of interest. I am sure the cost would have been a lot but Dunn could have filled several holes on your club. Doe's the Griffey trade more or less say the season is over and it's time to call the kids up? Anyways good luck the rest of the season. One day soon I believe this team could be a playoff contender with a small addition or two.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    I agree with reefer. Dumb move for the ChiSox. I am not complaining about this at all. Griffey will be missed, but it's just his presence and happy-go-lucky attitude that will be missed. Certainly not his bat or defense.

I am interested to see if Guillen is as dumb as recent Reds management in batting him 3rd as well. That would be foolish. Why not move him to DH and have Thome play 1B?

RB,

I see Guillen batting Griffey between the 6 to 8 spot in the order. Now to Thome, he is getting older and by the looks of things, Thome will DH and Swisher will be the new 1st baseman. Here is what should be done DH Griffey with Thome and the days when Thome is the DH, start Griffey in CF. Ken is 38 years old and I would try to save his legs every chance I could. Ken had a great night last night in his debut with the soxs, 2-3 2 rbi's and 2 runs scored.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by mntwinsfan View Post
    Is it true that the Reds are paying the salary of griffey till the end of the season? Then at seasons end the Reds are planning on resigning him? I heard this on ESPN.
    From what I understood, the Reds and White Sox are splitting his salary and option for next season 50-50. I'm not sure on that though. I think it's highly unlikely that the Reds would want to resign Griffey next season, and even more unlikely that he would return to Cincinnati. Maybe a Reds fan has a different opinion on this though. This was a move made to get some prospects for an older player with little value left that was going to leave at the end of the year anyways.

Finally, was there any interest in moving Dunn? To me he is a piece that would draw alot of interest. I am sure the cost would have been a lot but Dunn could have filled several holes on your club.
    I think the Reds did try to move Dunn, but there just wasn't much interest from other Clubs. At least not the kind of offers that the Reds thought they should get for a player like Dunn.

C you there
    MLB ERA

Re: ESPN reports.....

Wow. I am totally shocked that Griffey was dealt. I know many will rejoice, but I am actually a bit sad as this marks an end to an era that never lived up to the expectations Reds fans had. Griffey might be a punchline for many, but he is a guy who has battle back from injuries time after time and has remained a classy player through out it all. I'll always remember how special #500 and #600 was, how amazing it was to see Griffey win comeback player of the year and how excited I was when the Reds made the deal for the best centerfielder in baseball.

You'll be missed Griffey, good luck on chasing that ring in Chi-Town. It was time for both teams to move on.
    can't put it better then that

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12