Thread: Jocketty's Untouchables

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Roster Jocketty's Untouchables

Jocketty was on the radio with Mark Amazon earlier today and he mentioned which players on the roster would be untouchable. This is a lot more information than what Krivsky or O'Brien would ever offer.

The list:

Bruce
    Volquez
    Cueto
    Votto
    Encarnacion

Encarnacion? Yep thats right he said Edwin is not going anywhere. Now, there are only two things I could think of with his sudden love of our third sacker. Either he is insane and still doesn't know his team and got EdE mixed up with Phillips, or he may be working on developing EdE's trade value. Letting it out that he won't come cheap. I choose to believe the latter, but if he is at all serious, we may be looking at a mistake in judgement. EdE still has a ceiling that has not been reached, but we have so much depth at 3B. Namely Keppinger and Frazier. But a few other 3B in the minors can't be ignored as well in Francisco and Waring. I am a bit lost here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Jocketty's Untouchables

There are hardly any good third basemen in next year's free agent market so why trade Edwin? He is smart to hold onto him.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

If Keppinger takes over at SS (which I fully expect), Frazier would be ready to take 3B in 2009. Sure he would have an adjustment period, but based on the depth this team has at 3B, I would not make EdE untouchable.

MLB ERA

Maybe they want to have an insurance policy if Dunn isnt resigned for LF? Move Edwin out there or move Frazier there and then the other be 3b?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

But if you put the title of untouchable on EdE, you are imploying that you are to trade Dunn with that philosophy.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Ok now after actually listening to the interview I believe we may have looked to deep into this. He was just talking about the young core and young guys on the team and mentioned the 5 names.

"(Bruce) is one of many, we've got some very good young players here with Votto, Encarnacion, Cueto, and Volquez and some of the other guys; we've got some young guys here and some more coming."

Then, Amazon asked him who is untouchable and he said; "I think I just said mention them." "They'd be pretty tough to move."

So he did say "and some other guys." And I think he is just talking about the young core we have and that many of them will be looked at as big parts of the future. Perhaps he just mentioned who is young and cheap right now.

Interesting...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Edwin is only 25 and gives solid production. He's likely to double his homerun total. He is getting better so no use in trading him now.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

What a dirty thread title.

Since he's not untouchable, I'd personally like Harang on my staff.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Another example of reading too much into it. I don't think this provides any significant insight to Jocketty's GM diary but rather stating the obvious that the young, talented and cheap guys would be hard to acquire and I would have to imagine nearly every other GM would agree with him on that.

AAA ERA

gotta say though.. to mention EdE and not Phillips is just down right horrible.. Phillips hit 30/30 last year EdE is still nothing but Potential and he has been sitting on that potential for how many years now.. when both Hairston and Keppinger come back, EdE has to be the odd man out..

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Like I said, I wouldn't read too much into it. If Phillips wasn't with a big fat contract, I am positive he would be mentioned too. It's just like why Adam Dunn with the same statistics and talent would have a ton more value if he still wasn't arbitration eligible, other GM's want those cheap years and will pay a premium to get it. Jocketty is simply saying that the young, talented and cheap are the players to build around and give them extra status of being special to the organization.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Like I said, I wouldn't read too much into it. If Phillips wasn't with a big fat contract, I am positive he would be mentioned too. It's just like why Adam Dunn with the same statistics and talent would have a ton more value if he still wasn't arbitration eligible, other GM's want those cheap years and will pay a premium to get it. Jocketty is simply saying that the young, talented and cheap are the players to build around and give them extra status of being special to the organization.
    oh i understand.. but i am saying if I am going to point to the Reds young Players for the Future.. Phillips would have to be said before EdE.

MLB ERA

Why would Jocketty WANT to give up Edwin unless totally blown away? He's still only 25 and has a career OPS near .800 already. He could easily enter a sustained period of numbers well into the .800's very soon.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.