Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hatteberg DFA

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reds Hatteberg DFA

Per Rotoworld:
    The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the Reds may designate Scott Hatteberg for assignment Tuesday to make room on the roster for Jay Bruce.
    Hatteberg lost his starting job to Joey Votto and has complained about pinch-hitting duties, but he's still among the team's better hitters.
    Me thinks the Reds are holding onto Patterson should Griffey be traded. That and Hatteberg doesn't have much impact on the bench, Valentin can play a similar role as a replacement 1B and has more position value to the coaching staff as a catcher.

Patterson would be useful as a late-inning replacement for the defense, but you have to wonder if he was kept due to being more valuable (in the eyes of the front office) or because he is one of Dusty's guys (that and the fat contract.)

Re: Hatteberg DFA

I think its the fat contract, Dusty would have to press pretty hard to find a good argument for keeping Patty. Sucks that Hatteberg was DFA, always liked the guy. Hopefully they can get something for him quick, his value is going down every second.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA

I liked Hatteberg, but this was an excellent decision. Good thing Jocketty knows way more than many fans and kept the right guy; Patterson.

Live on, Dusty Bashers.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA

Jerry Hairston Jr. ss
    Jay Bruce cf
    Ken Griffey Jr. rf
    Brandon Phillips 2b
    Adam Dunn lf
    Edwin Encarnacion 3b
    Joey Votto 1b
    Paul Bako c
    John Cueto p

I almost expected Dunn to be sitting with Bruce in LF and Patterson in CF leading off. Don't want Dunn clogging the bases. We will see what Bruce can do in the 2 spot.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Maybe the Mets will take Hatteberg with Delgado struggling so much. Giants could also use a first baseman.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

He is a good one when he has consistant ABs. Dud can flat out stick still. I will miss him, but I saw this one coming.

MLB ERA

Mets would definitely take Hatty. What do you want for him? I'll call Omar to get this deal done!

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
    I liked Hatteberg, but this was an excellent decision. Good thing Jocketty knows way more than many fans and kept the right guy; Patterson.

Live on, Dusty Bashers.
    I don't know if you were referring to me, but I'll say it again man, Patterson is tolerable as the 5th OF, to use the tools where he is plus at. But a sub-600 OPS used in ANY lineup spot is hard to swallow.... let alone leadoff. If Dusty can keep him batting 8th for his limited starts, it's tolerable, his tools are needed in the late game, but it just can't be argued that Dusty should continue giving him really any significant AB's.

I am actually a Dusty fan, I just wished he would tweak his lineup construction methodology.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Heck it is even hard trying to figure out playing time for Freel now. And he is FAR better than Patterson. FAR better.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Heck it is even hard trying to figure out playing time for Freel now. And he is FAR better than Patterson. FAR better.
    Once/If Griff gets 600 platoon Freel and Griffey? Griffey hasn't hit lefties very well and Freel could spot Bruce when needed, because at this point Griffey isnt an every day player and I think a RF with some range would do a lot of good for the pitching staff.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I would put Bruce in RF and Freel in CF if they are both playing. Perhaps Freel will be given an opportunity at 3B with his hot bat and EdE slumping big time?

MLB ERA

Freel is far better OFFENSIVELY than Patterson. Again, Patterson's stellar defense is being undersold by many Reds fans. One of those statistics no defensive metrics currently in place can measure.

And no, mission, I wasn't referring specifically to you. More many Reds fans in general; on here and other boards and at games.

His numbers aren't as high as usual anyway, so he should get better offensively at some point, unless he's just about to have a "career" year in the negative category.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

What are the good carrer numbers for Patterson? I know he is a great defender. Notice I said great, because I think he is upper tier. But this team's primary problem the lack of scoring runs, then the defense is secondary. The defense has been horrible for sure, but not as bad as the offense. It is as simple as that for me. Freel is far superior a player for a team that needs offense.

I cannot argue that Patterson has a role on this team other than a VERY expensive defensive replacement. And perhaps a pinch runner as well.

MLB ERA

Well, his current .592 OPS is just a touch lower than his .706 career number. Just a touch.

And I would disagree that scoring runs is as big a problem for the team as defense. THe pitching staff could surely use some upgrades, but the defense hurts it a LOT. I saw Patterson save literally boatloads of runs when he played CF. And no, I'm not advocating for him to start over Bruce or anything.

I'd argue that the team needs to fix its defense and pitching more than anything else. The offense simply needs more clutch performers next year, who actually acquire HITS.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Dude, how many games have we lost this year due to lack of offense. Just look at Harang's record and it can tell you that. The offense has been underperforming all year until we hit that 7 game win streak. They may be coming around now, but that is no thanks at all to Patterson. In fact, a lot of the problem can be attributed to Patterson batting leadoff.

I hear what you are saying for sure. Patterson is the best defensive player on this team bar none. Janish is a close second. If there is an argument about defense it should be for Janish to play more than Hairston (who is God awful at SS).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast