5 33.33%
  • No

10 66.67%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the year Griffey gets dealt

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Is this the year Griffey gets dealt

Just curious. Its the final year of his contract. The Reds have a option on him for next season at $16.5 million. He has openly stated that he wants to finish his career in Seattle. My question: is this the year that the Reds try to move him for prospects or will he be back next season. I think its 50/50.

Vote and react.
    rf28

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Is this the year Griffey gets dealt

When did he openly state he wanted to finish his career in Seattle? I know he called Seattle his home, but I never heard or read his saying that he wanted to retire there.

Not that I don't believe you at all man, but that makes this a very different discussion if he did indeed say this.

I am inclined to vote yes as I think something has to be done with one of Junior or Dunn. And with RCast's love for Dunn, I think he will stay. Of course, this all depends on where we are in the standings as well.

After he hits 600 and with Jocketty at the helm it would not surprise me at all. I would only move him if you could get a decent return. Seattle is the most obvious suitor and Clement would be a nice piece at a struggling spot on our team. Maybe a Griffey/Morasco package for him.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA

Adam Dunn will be traded before Griffey will
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

I think the team would be better off if we moved one of them. Bruce is much better defensively than either one, and would probably outperform them offensively. This is assuming we don't go with a Hairston/Patterson combo instead...

GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    When did he openly state he wanted to finish his career in Seattle?
    He said it sometime during or after the series with Seattle last season. He said that he wants to finish up in Seattle because its where he started. He also said that him being done wasn't coming anytime soon.
    rf28

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If he did get traded to Seattle, the Reds are better off asking for Wladimir Balentien to replace Griffey. I don't think he will be traded this year as he is still a draw at the box office and the Reds are certainly going to need that this year. Dunn is definitely gone.

I really want to still like Dunn, but every year it seems to get harder and harder.

GET NOTICED.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Dunn is definitely gone in the Reds continue to lose. If they are able to turn it around, I guarantee he is a Red next year. The owner likes him, the new GM has a tendency to resign the stars, and it makes for an obvious no-question situation.

Also, how did it get harder to like Dunn last year with his .940 OPS? The season has been rough for him, but its really surprising as Dunn usually has faired so well when a new regime comes in and wants him to be something he is not (<-- massive sarcasm.)

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I honestly don't think the Reds should trade Griffey...he's in a milestone year with the quest for 600 and he's the face of their team right now. Sure you can say Cueto'll be the face of the franchise in the future or Bruce or Bailey...but it still has to be Ken Griffey Jr.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Closed
    AAA ERA

Griffey first has to hit his 600th homerun in a Reds uniform before any talks of him moving to another team is going to be discussed by the Reds. I really think a young team that the Reds are trying to become should keep a veteran presence in the clubhouse, but the question remains is how long can he get up and go in the outfield.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

per Gary Washburn (Seattle reporter)

Friday was not the first time Mariners manager John McLaren acknowledged the heightened expectations of his club. It is, however, the first time that he admitted his patience is beginning to dissipate.

After dropping the opener of this weekend's important series with the A's on Friday, the Mariners are 11-13, four games behind Oakland and Anaheim in the American League West. Seattle is 12th in the AL in batting average, 12th in on-base percentage and eighth in home runs. Meanwhile, the club passed on an opportunity to boost its lineup with free agent Frank Thomas, who batted fourth for the A's on Friday.

McLaren said Friday that he will soon address his team about the urgency of the season, as a means of erasing the inconsistency. Of course, the Mariners have been bothered by injuries while a handful of players -- Kenji Johjima, Richie Sexson, Jose Vidro and Brad Wilkerson -- have struggled at the plate.

"We need to start playing consistent baseball," McLaren said. "I am going to get them all together and tighten some things up. I think everybody knows the bar has been set higher for everybody, and we had some challenges with J.J. (Putz) out and we handled that, and now we need to start playing a good all-around game. We can't play it in segments."

One position of concern is designated hitter, where the Mariners are 10th in the AL with a .209 average and 12th in slugging percentage. There had been speculation that the club would consider bringing in a big bat to replace Vidro, who did deliver a two-run double in Thursday's 8-7 loss to the Baltimore Orioles.

One eventual candidate could be Ken Griffey Jr., who is batting .256 with four homers and 15 RBIs for the Reds, who may begin a roster overhaul with the hiring of former St. Louis Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty to replace the fired Wayne Krvisky. Cincinnati appears stuck in the middle of rebuilding with new manager Dusty Baker and attempting to compete in the wide-open National League Central.

Griffey is in the final year of that seven-year deal he negotiated with the Reds after his trade demand from Seattle. He is scheduled to earn $12.5 million this season and has a $16.5 million option for 2009 that can be bought out at $4 million.

The Mariners just invested $24 million over three seasons for Johjima, who has been slumping this season. The question is whether the Mariners want to pay a potentially hefty price for Griffey to return or if they will wait until later in the season.

McLaren said he wants his players currently in the clubhouse to produce and begin their run toward the AL West title.

"We're at the point in the season now where we've got our feet on the ground, and now we need to start running," McLaren said. "I've been happy with the effort, and the execution I have not been happy with. I just think a little better concentration, a little better participation and we'll be a lot better off. That's the message I'd like to send. I am ready for us to put everything behind us and just take off and play winning baseball."
    Clement anyone?

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Bon Bon View Post
    Griffey first has to hit his 600th homerun in a Reds uniform before any talks of him moving to another team is going to be discussed by the Reds. I really think a young team that the Reds are trying to become should keep a veteran presence in the clubhouse, but the question remains is how long can he get up and go in the outfield.
    With Walt Jocketty at the helm, there will always be a veteran precence in the clubhouse. Jocketty is good at bringing in vets, and he is good at selecting the right ones for his team. Whether that would be Griffey... I have no clue. I have a hunch that Jocketty might see potential in Griffey though. Mark McGwire helped turn the entire Cardinal franchise around. With the right promoting of Griffey, something similar might be possible.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No offense but the Cards finished first the year before McGwire got there and attendance was the same.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    No offense but the Cards finished first the year before McGwire got there and attendance was the same.
    That's true, but there was a huge jump in attendance for McGwire's second year in St. Louis.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast