Thread: Players not happy with miley's lineup

MLB ERA

Players not happy with miley's lineup

Dunn, Griffey out of lineup vs. lefty
    By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

DENVER | As the Cincinnati Reds filed into the clubhouse early Friday and peered at the lineup card hanging on the wall, reactions mostly were stunned, confused ... or both.

"Are we facing Sandy Koufax tonight?" asked one. "Or is it Randy Johnson?"

"Are we trying to win?" asked another.

"Are Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn hurt?" asked a third.

No, no and no ... and neither Griffey nor Dunn were in the lineup for Friday night's game against Colorado Rockies left-hander Jeff Francis (4-2, 5.24 ERA).

Manager Dave Miley decided to stack his lineup with right-handed hitters, leaving Griffey and Dunn in the dugout, or, as Griffey said, "Leave 22 home runs and 63 RBIs out of the lineup ... in Coors Field."

Griffey has hit .360 with eight homers and 21 RBIs in 50 Coors at-bats while Dunn is at .333 with five homers and seven RBIs in 33 Coors at-bats.

"I came to the park early, all happy and smiling after a day off, ready to take some extra hitting," Griffey said. "Dunn said, 'Why are you so happy? You're not in the lineup and neither am I.' "

Griffey visited Miley's office to lobby for his spot, but Miley wouldn't budge. Dunn didn't try.

"I had a day off Thursday and don't need (another one), but I can't say anything because I suck," he said.

During a three-game series in Houston, Dunn went 1-for-9 (.111), but he led the team in home runs in May with eight. Griffey hit safely in all three games in Houston (.364 with a double, home run and three RBIs).

Miley was adamant in his reasoning.

"Right-handers are hitting .303 against Francis," Miley said. "And while left-thanders are hitting .270 (.273), there is a big difference in his power numbers and walks."

Francis had given up six homers to right-handers but none to left-handers, and he had walked 28 righties and only two lefties. So, instead of Griffey in center field at

Coors Field, the Reds had Ryan Freel. And instead of Dunn in left field, the Reds had Jason Romano.

Switch-hitter Felipe Lopez, who hits .229 right-handed, was at shortstop, and Rich Aurilia, hitting .192, was at second base.

"I might run out there to my position anyway," Griffey joked. "What are they going to do, run me off the field, come and get me?"
    unreal
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

MLB ERA
    Wow Miley has truely lost all faith of this team. After last year I thought this team had a good manager. For whatever reason hes turned a complete 180.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    "Right-handers are hitting .303 against Francis," Miley said. "And while left-thanders are hitting .270 (.273), there is a big difference in his power numbers and walks."

Did he even bother to look at the number of batters Francis has faced? I dont care if it is Sandy Koufax out there Dunn and Griffey crush anyone in Coors.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Wahoo, come on Miley. Keep pissing of the future HoF and our best player. SUPER JOB!!

MLB ERA
    i think its obvious dunn has a grudge going against miley.

i'm sure if miley was not there he would not be having second thoughts about cincy.

I will be up in cincy next week, and i want to see Dunn, Griffey, Kearns, Case, Lopez, Freel, Randa, Harang, LaRue, all in the lineup. if not i will be behind the dugout and those watching the game will know the wrath that is ghettochild

AA ERA
    lol what game r u going too? i'm thinking about going up to a Baltimore game maybe on the 11th. linder gave me 2 free tickets to any reds game i want!! and Baltimore would be a good game i think.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Reds_fan_4_life
    lol what game r u going too? i'm thinking about going up to a Baltimore game maybe on the 11th. linder gave me 2 free tickets to any reds game i want!! and Baltimore would be a good game i think.
    i am going to the TB series and maybe some of the BAL series

Miley once again this season shows he has his head up tight inside his rectum. Not sure why the physical location change for him but something needs to be done. It doesn't matter who is pitching, put your best players on the field every night for best chance to win. Another wasted season

Miley needs his walking papers.

MLB ERA
    Just ridiculous is all I can say. Don't forget we are going on the 20th or 21st, so if you can go to that one, just let us know on the "Forum Meeting" thread.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Wow, Lindner gives out free tix?

AA ERA
    yeh everyone in my school gets 2 free tickets idk why but thats what linder does we get em every year. maybe b/c my school is the biggest in Ohio idk but linder is a good person he knows how to treat ppl off the baseball field but doesnt know how to spend money on the baseball field

I think Miley knows damn well what he is doing, and doesn't care. EVERYONE knew that he wasn't wanted by Dan O'Brien, that would make anyone sour. I think what made matters worse was that the Reds didn't do anything with Miley's contract until this year. It was painfully obvious who was wanted, and who wasn't. That would sure make me sour. I do think that last year Miley was enthusiastic about being the Reds manager, he actually did a decent job with in-game decisions. Of course, there was no pressure on him. He was just an interim manager, the club was in the dumps. Fast-forward to this year. The club was expected to be more successful, and Miley was expected to lead the way: all the time knowing the club had no faith in him. Honestly, I don't think it was ever a good thing to bring him in. He's a minor league manager, and has a mentality as such. Miley, IMO, really doesn't have a "big league manager" type of presence. So, in a nutshell, I think he has resigned himself to the thought that he was never going to be back anyway, and knows that someoen else will likely come calling. I mean, you can't make the types of decisions he's made without having some sort of grudge against the players, the club, or whatever. Like someone else here say yesterday, the Reds need to hire someone that didn't grow up as a Red, didn't play in the organization. They need a Joe Torre type manager that takes no prisoners, that lays down the ground and says "it's my way, or the highway". Those that are truely talented will prosper in this type of environment. They know their talent will land them in the lineup. Those that don't agree with such a system will sulk, and quitely disappear from the roster.

yeh everyone in my school gets 2 free tickets idk why but thats what linder does we get em every year. maybe b/c my school is the biggest in Ohio idk but linder is a good person he knows how to treat ppl off the baseball field but doesnt know how to spend money on the baseball field
    I goto a school in Kentucky and I get free tixs. Most people don't like baseball so I ended up with 5 vouchers.

Voucher=2 Free Tixs