Thread: Why I'm a Reds fan...

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Why I'm a Reds fan...

Let's talk about why we love our Reds.

-Were you an Eric Davis fan (As I was)

-Did you grow up in the 'Nati and have it passed down from generation to generation?

-Were you watching the '90 WS and jump on the wagon then? (Only to suffer for the next 17 years)

or

-Did you have a thing for old fat women and find that you had a thing for Marge Schott? Don't let Mission lie to you...this is why he's a Reds fan.

I'm older than most of you but I remember the Big Red Machine. I remember going camping and listening to the Reds by the campfire while drinking a bottle of coke.

I'm a Reds fan because they were part of me as I grew up and are a part of who I am today.

Steps down off of sappy soapbox.

(This thread has probably been done before, but...)
    People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

Re: Why I'm a Reds fan...

I am a Reds fan, because my father grew up across the river in Northern Kentucky and talked to me about Reds of the past, then just as I was born it was the Big Red Machine Era. I grew up in Southern Illinois and would only buy radios that could somewhat get the 700WLW signal. I was one of those kids that would go to bed each night listening to Reds games (and a little static). Eric Davis and Barry Larkin quickly became 2 of my favorite Reds of all-time (not to mention Bip Roberts), and I loved the 1990 season. Marge Schott was just a quirky ol bat, I really didn't have a thing for her. These are just a very few of the reasons why I love the Cincinnati Reds.

I've been a Reds fan my entire life. it all started as a child listening to my dad, grandpa, and other family always talking about how great the '70s were. The First season, I can really remember was th '94 strike season. Then in '95 I remember going to countless games, watchin MVP Barry Larkin guide us to the playoffs and sweeping the Dodgers, before losing to the Braves. Those two season gave me a taste of winning baseball for the Reds. The Reds have had only 2 winning season since then('99,'00) But I'm still a die heart Reds fan. My favorite players over my life include, Larkin, Casey, Griffey, and Phillips

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Dunn#44 View Post
    I've been a Reds fan my entire life. it all started as a child listening to my dad, grandpa, and other family always talking about how great the '70s were. The First season, I can really remember was th '94 strike season. Then in '95 I remember going to countless games, watchin MVP Barry Larkin guide us to the playoffs and sweeping the Dodgers, before losing to the Braves. Those two season gave me a taste of winning baseball for the Reds. The Reds have had only 2 winning season since then('99,'00) But I'm still a die heart Reds fan. My favorite players over my life include, Larkin, Casey, Griffey, and Phillips
    You're making me feel really old.

The kind of fan I like though, you like the team for what it is...not just for the W's.
    People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Ok, I am a Reds fan because of Griffey Jr. I actually hated it when he left Seattle, as I was an M's fan then. See Griffey was my favorite player because I played for the Mariners in Little League and I got a baseball card of him that had the inscription "The Kid" on it and I was hooked.

So, when he moved to Cincy, I came with him. It took me a while to care about the Reds as my heart was still in Seattle. But I decided I wanted to continue watching Griffey every chance I could and the Reds just sort of stole my heart.

The rest is history. No I am here and want to see Griffey hit his 600th HR and simply do not want to see him in a Reds uniform after this season. I can thank Griffey for introducing me to Reds baseball and guys like Jay Bruce can help me understanding his departue (when he does go.)

There's that, and Marinersrbetter just doesn't have the same ring to it

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yep, that is very true. I guess we can thank the M's for their loss of Junior then.

MLB ERA

I'm just gonna throw this out there: Ken Griffey Jr. has the prettiest, most amazing home run swing i have ever seen. it's just so fluid, so awesome. i almost want to call it sexy. Ya know what? I WILL call it sexy. Ken Griffey Jr.'s home run motion is sexy.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Good throw. I agree a million times agree. I don't think anyone is even close.

AAA ERA

ok, I was born in Michigan in 1978, so that made me a 6 year old Tiger fan in 1984.. as well as a fan for a strong 1987 team.. well my father being from Cincinnati grew up a Reds fan and moved back to SW Ohio in 1989.. while visiting him I got my first real exposure to NL baseball.. and followed them for the rest of the 89(Pete's Last season as Manager) just in time for the 1990 season in which I would see my first Reds Game.. and 4 that year.. unfortuantely i brough bad luck as they lost 3 of them.. including 2 in one night to the Pirates.. but i never stopped tracking them.. all the way into the World Series agains the A's.. by 1991 i no longer lived in Michigan.. nor followed the Tigers..

so for me i was a huge Barry Larkin, Billy Hatcher, Jose Rijo, Paul O'Neil fan