Thread: Jay Bruce is a Bat

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Jay Bruce is a Bat

So Jay Bruce is going back to Louisville. To be honest, it didn't come as a surprise to many of us as we all saw this coming with the Patterson signing. But I am here to remind us all that the Patterson signing stinks.

This is a Dusty Baker move and that contributes to the lack of success this franchise has had. I don't have a problem with the field manager showing interest in a player that may be available. Case in point; Jerry Narron pointed Josh Hamilton out to Krivsky. But Krivsky has to be smart enough to only go after the guy if it makes sense for the team.

Corey Patterson makes no sense for this team.

What was the plan? First, we had Josh Hamilton. We were all considering the thought of trading him as part of a package of young talent in return for a stud pitcher like Bedard. But Krivsky found a good fit with Volquez. Good move.

Now after Hamilton was gone, he should have named Bruce the opening day centerfielder right there. But Krivsky doesn't ever hand jobs to players. He wants them to earn it. I can't complain too much about that decision.

But now what do you do when they earn the spot? Jay Bruce was our best hitter this spring until he got hurt. All things considered, he didn't have a bad spring at all. Yet, he still sent him packing.

Now we are at option number three. And I think this was option number one the day Baker came in.

Jay Bruce is a Bat because Dusty Baker is the manager and Krivsky is extremely indecisive with the direction of this team.

Patterson should have never been signed. The only thing that makes me feel a bit better about this is that we may have Bruce for another year before he hits free agency (all depends on how long they can put up with Patterson's sub .300 OBP)

I think Krivsky is looking for the next Brandon Phillips in Patterson. Yet he failed to understand that he already has a guy that is primed to help Phillips in the lineup now. I like looking to catch lightning in the bottle, but not when it is in place of a guy who is the best prospect in baseball.

Summary:
    Hamilton (5 tools) to Bruce (5 tools) and now Patterson (glove)/Hopper (contact)/Freel(hustle).

AAA ERA

Re: Jay Bruce is a Bat

Patterson has 5 tools, he's very very very talented. He'll just never fill his potential because Baker screwed him up. Patterson is a 3 hitter, and he was doing a good job of it till Baker said "Lets make him a lead off hitter."

But listen, the Reds have some nice young players. Bruce being sent down sucks, but he would never play with Baker as manager. He wouldn't get his at bats as a backup. But at least this way Baker can't tinker with his swing. Baker doesn't believe in patience. He's even said this spring he hates called strikes. He likes guys to swing away. Bruce in Louisville means he's safe from Baker.

Homer Bailey's arm on the other hand... pray for it.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

C you there
    MLB ERA

and I have him on my fantasy team

MLB ERA

Kevin and I and LJ are going to see them play the SkyChiefs saturday i'm getting an autograph! (or, at least I'm gonna try)
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D™ View Post
    and I have him on my fantasy team

Me too, but I am opting to hold on to him. Even though I have a feeling that Bruce will not be up until real late in the season as long as Patterson gives them the smallest excuse.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    Kevin and I and LJ are going to see them play the SkyChiefs saturday i'm getting an autograph! (or, at least I'm gonna try)

Lucky Dawgs! Hope you guys have fun. You definitely have guys to watch on the Louisville end. If Bailey or Maloney are pitching, you will be set.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Bailey's pitching Thursday at 2, can't go then...dunno who's pitching Saturday. The Bats don't have their roster filled out on their site.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Lucky Dawgs! Hope you guys have fun. You definitely have guys to watch on the Louisville end. If Bailey or Maloney are pitching, you will be set.
    Bailey's pitching the first game of the series on Thursday, so he won't be available for Sat. I don't know about Maloney though.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Lul'vull