Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds are interested in Lincecum?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Reds are interested in Lincecum?

per C Trent's Blog:

Well, did hear one trade rumor that I'm passing on for comedic value much more than any news value -- but Jay Bruce for Tim Lincecum. Ain't happening. Anyone bringing that up to the Reds front office would be greeted with laughter.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83 View Post
    Dont know anything about Votto and Roenicke, can you guys tell me what they can do and everything?

Votto is the next big thing at 1B. He hits for power and average and is improving on defense. He never had a bad glove, but he still has room for improvement. He was the Southern League MVP 2 years ago and is likely our best power hitter in our system.

Roenicke is explained above.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Crasnick links the Giants with the Reds and mentions EdE as a possible fit:

7:12 p.m., from Jerry Crasnick
    • The Reds need pitching, but they don't have a lot of money left after signing closer Francisco Cordero to a five-year deal. So Cincinnati is talking trade with a bunch of teams here in Nashville and using some of its young position players as bait for a starter. Jay Bruce is out of the question, and Joey Votto would be tough to get, but the Reds are listening on third baseman Edwin Encarnacion and center fielder Josh Hamilton. The Cubs are a natural fit for Hamilton, but Sean Marshall isn't likely to get it done. One possible fit for Encarnacion: the Giants, who may need a third baseman if incumbent Pedro Feliz declines the team's salary arbitration offer.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    So your proposed deal is Roenicke, Votto, and EE for Lincecum?
    Giants would be getting our 3B and 1B for years to come plus a guy who may be a good relief pitcher. Reds would be getting a future number 2 starter and a possible 15 games a year to add to a rotation of Harang, Arroyo and Bailey. This would make me feel better for losing a pitcher like Lincecum who has great potential and has already shown what he can do at the big league level. Giants also did a great thing by shutting him down in September. If this deal were to go through, it would help reshape the futures of both ball clubs for the better and help make competitors once again.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Votto is the next big thing at 1B. He hits for power and average and is improving on defense. He never had a bad glove, but he still has room for improvement. He was the Southern League MVP 2 years ago and is likely our best power hitter in our system.

Roenicke is explained above.
    Actually he would be further down on the power hitter portion, as bruce projects to be a near 40 hr a yr guy, Votto is more a 30 HR, .300 Avg type with the intangibles you like in a guy. and he's a good baserunner/stealer as well for a guy his size. Probably a 30 HR, 110 RBI, .310 Avg, with 20 steals in his prime type who will likely end up being a solid defensive 1st basemen.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Honestly guys, I just think Votto and EdE are too much. What would our offense look like after that? Yes Hatteberg is a viable starting 1B and Keppinger can hit as well. But look at the lineup:

Ross C
    Hatteberg 1B
    Phillips 2B
    Keppinger 3B
    Gonzalez SS
    Dunn LF
    Hamilton CF
    Griffey RF

Yes, this lineup can still produce. But who plays 1B after this season? What if Keppinger can't play 3B that well? Will Freel be stuck playing 3B again?

Don't get me wrong, Lincecum is real intriguing. Especially when you add him to the future rotation with Bailey and Cueto. I guess if this is the best we can do, I would do it. But losing Votto and EdE would really hurt this ballclub.

I am on the fence on this one.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Reds have room to fill holes with stopgap guys like Feliz or Broussard once he is non-tendered. Dunn, Griffey, Phillips and Hamilton still give the Reds a solid core of offense. and with a rotation of Harang, Lincecum, Arroyo, Bailey and Belisle? the Reds won't need as much offense. Plus Bruce will be ready for next year.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Reds have room to fill holes with stopgap guys like Feliz or Broussard once he is non-tendered. Dunn, Griffey, Phillips and Hamilton still give the Reds a solid core of offense. and with a rotation of Harang, Lincecum, Arroyo, Bailey and Belisle? the Reds won't need as much offense. Plus Bruce will be ready for next year.
    I agree for the most part, I would go get Feliz no question. Plus I again get rid of Jr, hopefully Seattle would take him but I have my doubts. But if I cannot get Feliz I go with this lineup.

Hamilton RF
    Keppinger 3B
    Dunn LF
    BP 2B
    Bruce CF
    Hatteberg/Cantu 1B
    Gonzo SS
    Ross C

But if Jr is still there it becomes an issue because now one of your most effective young bats (Bruce) cannot get on the field. With or W/O EE or Votto. And IMO Bruce if given a full season would outperform Jr at this point. Perhaps he would struggle in certain areas that Jr might not but overall his body of work likely be better and his defense is a clear upgrade.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Reds can move Dunn to first for a year and have Bruce in the OF if Votto were to be moved.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I can all but guarantee Dunn will never play 1B for the Reds. Not to shoot down the idea, because it is great. But it is as likely to happen as Griffey is to be traded.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Asked about a rumored Tim Lincecum-for-Jay Bruce deal, a Giants official said Monday that it was "pure fiction."
    Meanwhile, general manager Brian Sabean said that one team has made what he called an "interesting" offer for Lincecum, but added that he's unlikely to part with Lincecum or Matt Cain.
    That is pretty much that folks.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yep thats a wrap. Pleasure thinking about it today though.

Next...

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    That is pretty much that folks.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12