Thread: Its going to be tough

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Its going to be tough

I guess I just don't see how we are supposed to get a good starting pitcher with what we have to offer. Of course we have enough talent, but how much can or will Krivsky move?

Take a glimpse into our future. Griffey is almost definitely off the books in 2009. There is no chance for him to return in 2009. And what of Dunn? If we do not extend his contract, we will not have him in 2009 either.

Now think about the upcoming winter meetings. Josh Hamilton seems to be the only logical fit in trying to gain a #3 SP in return. Would he command a #3 alone? Of course not. He is a "potential" stud right now and that does not get you too far on the trade market. At least not as a one player deal. Even still, if Hamilton is traded this offseason, we would have Freel/Hopper in CF until Bruce is ready. That looks pretty solid for 2008 with Griffey and Dunn anchoring each corner. But look at what the outfield looks like in 2009. We will have Jay Bruce and only Jay Bruce for the outfield.

This is why I think Krivsky and company want so badly to win now. The not so distant future does not look so great on the offensive end. Maybe we pray for Dickerson to bulk up and become a power threat? Ha, fat chance. Stubbs? Come on now give me a break. Maybe still a good option to compliment Bruce, but we will still be missing something.

All of this could find a remedy in 2008 though. If Votto and Bruce can show signs of taking over for Griffey and Dunn we may be alright. I mean, we still have Phillips and EdE improving every season as well. If three of those names pan out to be above average, we might be alright.

Not only that, but with the Dunn and Griffey contracts off the books, I am sure we can find a suitable outfielder to replace one of them.

So what do we take from all of this? Dunn must be re-signed! Or, Griffey must be traded and not Hamilton. But Griffey will not bring back a #3 at all im my opinion because of his contract and age. I would still trade Griffey and perhaps use the left over money to get Carlos Silva.

Dreams:

Griffey to the Cubs for Prior.
    Griffey to any MLB team he desires for a middling spect.
    Lock Dunn up long-term
    Keep Hamilton unless we get some superb pitching in return

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Its going to be tough

Dunn on a possible extension:

"Hopefully, at some point we'll get to that," Dunn said. "I'm enjoying the offseason and I'll deal with it when it comes."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Trade Dunn or Encarnacion for starters.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Trading Dunn is an option as well but I fear we would miss out on his offense too much. But if he were to bring us a a solid starting pitcher I would definitely do it. In fact, I close to thinking it would be a better option to trade Dunn than Hamilton. He would net more in return and Hamilton may bring close to the same production to the plate and is far superior defensively. That would give us Free/Hopper in LF, Hamilton in CF, and Griffey in RF. Not bad while we are waiting for Bruce.

Trade EdE? Keppinger really knows how to hit and he also has a good glove. So, I would trade EdE as well as long as it gave us a nice return.

Do you guys think there is a bigger market out there for Dunn than Hamilton? I would think so. But this may all be a mott point because he have been left with the feeling that Dunn is a big part of the team in 2008.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

It's hard to say. Dunn is basically a one year rental who makes a lot more money than Hamilton but Dunn is also a proven commodity. Hamilton is not. Hamilton hasn't played a full season in the big leagues and has a troubled past.

MLB ERA

I think the Reds need to trade Adam Dunn and Edwin Encarnacion to build up some depth in the rotation, and then trade off some of that excess to make up for the offense they would lose.