Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torii Hunter?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Torii Hunter?

CF--Minnesota Twins: In late August, Hunter rejected an offer of 4 years, $56M to remain with the Twins. He stands to receive about 6 years, $100M on the free agent market this off-season. Hunter said he never rejected any offer, but rather simply declined to negotiate until after the season. Among his preferred destinations are Atlanta and Washington. The Reds could also be a possbility.
    Major League Baseball Rumors

per mlbtraderumors

...Hunter has seemingly been connected to half the teams in baseball; you can see all posts involving him here. Today Gleeman added another club to the mix: the Reds. Gleeman's source talks to Dusty Baker, who has suggested the Reds might be interested. That'd create a definite outfielder surplus in Cincy.
    I don't get this. Why do we need a high dollar outfielder? We already have a surplus, all of which have a ceiling higher than Hunter. So what is the deal?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Twins Re: Torii Hunter?

People just like to talk. The market could bring him 100 mil, that doesn't mean necessarily he's going to get/take that much. He has said previously that he would like to stay with the Twins, but unless Pohlad opens his wallet or Torii makes a Kirby Puckett move and takes a pay cut, the Twins are going to have to compete with some medium and large market teams.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Torii Hunter?

I truly hope he does that for your sake and mine. You need him, we don't. But with the Twins already talking about deals to land Melky Cabrera from the Yankees, does this look bad for a return for Torii? Or is Pohlad just looking at plan B for now?

Or is Melky Cabrera just a rumor?

per mlbtraderumors

Melky Cabrera would give Minnesota a center fielder to replace Torii Hunter if he bolts. The Yankees could then offer the Twins Phil Hughes or Ian Kennedy along with a second prospect.
    If Melky and Kennedy plus a prospect can land Santana, I can't see why the Yankees wouldn't do that, even if only for the opportunity to get a leg up on signing baseball's best pitcher to a long term deal. But I would assume it would take a lot more. Lots of names are being tossed around along with Philip Hughes, particularly Robinson Cano, names that are most likely the premium the Twins would demand and perhaps a deal-breaker for the Yankees.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Honestly, over the past two years (especially this past year), I've learned to take anything out from mlbtraderumors.com as pure idle speculation for the most part. I don't buy it.

Could the Reds be interested if Hunter was asking a price more reasonable to his performance (and declining defense) and if they move other parts for pitching? Sure, but you could say that about a lot of teams.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

That is the thing though. Maybe this is suggesting that they will be trying to move outfield parts for pitching. This rumor can only be found at mlbtraderumors right now and I have to agree that they have come up with garbage lately. I wish I knew where this guy has been getting these rumors.

Any truth to this though, and we have evidence of movement possibilities such as outfielders for pitching in my opinion.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Cant honestly see Hunter in Cincy, but I have seen stranger things hapen before and sure we all will again.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Major League Baseball Rumors

per mlbtraderumors

I don't get this. Why do we need a high dollar outfielder? We already have a surplus, all of which have a ceiling higher than Hunter. So what is the deal?
    torii hunter is visiting everyone. hes trying to market himself so he can get the highest deal possible. you have to talk to a lot of people to do that.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Why? It's not like Hunter is a megastar, we landed Griffey who was worlds beyond Hunter in star power. I cant see Hunter in Cincy at the price he demands for what he'll produce (especially if we sacrificed Dunn to land him), the best situation is that the Twins keep a fan favorite and he takes a hefty step down from what he is expected to ask to stay in town at a cost more reasonable.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Twins Re: Torii Hunter?

I honestly think the only way that Hunter stays in the Twin Cities is that he takes a pay cut, or by some miracle that Pohlad removes some of the cobwebs from his wallet and makes Hunter a decent offer.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

But the difference in Griifey is that he really wanted to play in Cincy. His hometown. So that was a rather different circumstance.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

When have the Reds had significant (supposed) financial assets to make a run at a big player in the past 10 years? It's not like they try and get consistently rejected.

And the only reason I mentioned Griffey was that if the Reds want to spend the money, like with him, they have been shown to do it.... although that was under a different ownership group with a different coach, the one thing you have to say about Baker is that he will attract players of certain caliber to Cincinnati if the pocketbooks are open (thus a potential big reason why he was hired) as they have not been players for the big names.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Torii Hunter?

fair enough. point taken. thanks mission!

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Torii Hunter?

thanks redsrbetter. I can accept the someone's opinion and not beat it like a dog.

That is the beauty of this!! One can state their opinion, and disagree and after a certain point, agree or disagree, it is best to just let it lie and move on.

I respect everyone's opinion whether or not I agree with it or not.

I have made too many friends in here and do not want to over step that boundary.

MLB ERA

No, YOU SHUT UP!!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Saber, the classic curtain burner.

Thats cool brewersfan. I like your attitude for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast