Thread: Phil Garner; Reds are interested

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Phil Garner; Reds are interested

CINCINNATI -- If it were the right situation, Phil Garner would like to manage again.

How about the Reds?
    Garner, who was dismissed as Astros skipper on Aug. 27, hasn't been contacted by Cincinnati to fill its managerial vacancy. He has spent the past several weeks in Florida and hasn't pursued any potential opportunities yet.
    "I'm kicking back and haven't been active yet. I'm just taking it easy," Garner said on Friday. "I'm not saying, 'No' to anything. I'll listen to anything people want to talk about."
    Garner managed the Astros from 2004-07 and led his club to the World Series in 2005. He also managed the Brewers from 1992-99 and the Tigers from 2000-02. With a lifetime record of 985-1,084, the 58-year-old had three-straight winning seasons with Houston until falling to 58-73 this season when he was let go.
    Garner acknowledged one of the factors he's looking for in an employer is a storied tradition, and Cincinnati would fit the bill in that department.
    "I like the fact it's it has got a great history there," Garner said. "I played against the Big Red Machine. I know what baseball has been in Cincinnati and what it can be."
    So far, there are only two known candidates for the Reds job. Interim manager Pete Mackanin remains one possibility and it was learned on Thursday that ESPN analyst and former Cubs and Giants skipper Dusty Baker also interviewed.
    Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky declined on Thursday to name any candidates for the position and said the club would offer no information until a manager is named.
    As for Garner, he appears available. He's not willing to take any job, however. A rebuilding club probably wouldn't be for him, but a team that is capable of winning sooner than later might be a fit. "It would have to be something that makes sense," Garner said. "It'd have to be a really good situation for me to be excited about it. I'd like to be able to make a real difference."
    The Official Site of The Cincinnati Reds: News: Cincinnati Reds News

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Phil Garner; Reds are interested

I suggest you run now Reds' fans if they hire Garner.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Phil Garner; Reds are interested

This is now two managers that I just cannot see this team hiring. Hopefully they are just searching everywhere and will refuse to settle for less than the best possible fit.

Its almost as if the lack of production by our general manager during the offseason hurts my brain more than the field manager's ridiculous decsion making during the regular season.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

He is not a very good manager, IMO. He has just been blessed with some good talent. I never liked him as the Brewers manager, even when they announced it.

AA ERA

Its Dusty

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

good guy, bad manager--Dusty Baker that is.