Thread: More on players' shock over Graves' release

MLB ERA

More on players' shock over Graves' release

Reds slam door on Graves
    Players shocked, angered

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | The inside of the Cincinnati Reds clubhouse Monday afternoon was so quiet it was as if somebody had died.

To most of the Reds, that's exactly what happened.

Reds management said farewell to relief pitcher Danny Graves, an unceremonious good-bye. They designated him for assignment, meaning he no longer is part of the team.

Graves, despite the verbal abuse he took from fans this year, is one of the team's most popular players and the way his dismissal was handled angered everybody.

Asked how it would affect the clubhouse and the team's performance, usually mild-mannered first baseman Sean Casey fired with triple barrels.

"This is like hitting us all in the head with a shovel," said Casey. "The guys love him. This was a poor way to handle it. It's wrong, just wrong."

Casey, near tears as he chatted privately with Graves, said later, "I'm shocked. I'm shocked. It's just shocking. He never refused to take the ball, he never complained. He is a guy you try to find answers for."

What pained most team members was that Graves, an

eight-year veteran, a loyal trooper with 182 career saves, was cast aside without the club trying other options.

Casey said the team should have had him undergo an MRI to check his health, "Because he would never complain or admit he was hurt, he's a gamer, a competitor. Put him on the DL. Pitch him in mop-up to let him try to get it right. Don't throw him out like garbage."

Casey was angry that Graves was a scapegoat for the fans and the organization.

"He is not the problem here," said Casey. "He is one of the 25 guys who care. This is not his fault. We stink. For us to be 15-28 has nothing to do with Danny Graves. For what he has done for the Cincinnati Reds for eight years, the organization owes him more than this."

Reds general manager Dan O'Brien, who informed Graves of the decision via telephone from California, said the decision was strictly non-performance.

Graves believes otherwise.

After giving up five runs in the ninth inning Sunday, when Graves reached the dugout a fan leaned in and said, "Go back to Vietnam, you (racial slur and swear words)." Graves reacted with curse words of his own and flipped off the fan.

"Our message all along is that it is about performance," O?Brien said. "It is about contributing on the field to a winning team. That is the gauge we have to use in these circumstances. The performance level was not where it needed to be."

Last week, the team designated second baseman D'Angelo Jimenez for assignment, eating nearly $2 million. With Graves, the club is eating more than $5 million.

"I feel as if I've just been kicked out of my house, that my mom remarried and kicked me out of the house," Graves said. "I've had a lot of great days here and I didn't want my great days to end this way."

Graves and several team members believe it was disrespectful that O'Brien did it by telephone and when told O'Brien was attending a scouting meeting in California, Graves said, "They have airplanes from the West Coast.

"I could deal with a trade and, in fact, I expected it to happen in July," he added. "But this way is not right.

"He told me on the phone that my performance hasn't been getting better and they didn't see it getting any better," Graves said. "That was it, but I think what happened with the fans had the most to do with it and they can't tell me not."

Pitcher Paul Wilson, who admitted Monday that he has a touch of tendinitis in his shoulder, said the pain in his heart hurt more than the pain in the shoulder.

"I would hope Danny's thing with the fans wouldn't have anything to do with it," Wilson said. "We're playing terrible. I've pitched terrible. And Danny's taken the brunt of it. It is not his fault in any way. We're all accountable.

"Danny is a professional, he is a Cincinnati Red, he has meant so much to this organization, this team, this city and to me. This hurts ... hurts a great deal," Wilson said, fighting tears.

For the first time in memory, there wasn't a smile on Ken Griffey Jr.'s face as he sat in front of his locker.

"Everybody knows Danny is going to come around," said Griffey. "The team that picks him up and fixes him, well, when he comes back in here he is going to be a tough guy to go against. It's a tough way to lose a guy who has dedicated himself to the organization."

To replace Graves, the Reds recalled lefthanded relief pitcher Randy Keisler from Class AAA Louisville, but he isn't the closer.

"We'll look at match-ups and situations," Miley said.

"Nobody is the closer right now. We hope somebody steps up and runs with it. Don Gullett (pitching coach) has some ideas, but we'll see how it plays out."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Yes Gravy it more than likely was the fans decision,there the ones who buy tickets and help you to get paid.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    "He never refused to take the ball, he never complained. He is a guy you try to find answers for."

Well Casey, if Gravy was possibly hurt like you suggested, he did no good by being such a trooper. All he did was hurt the team and their chances to win in addition to his career. And I know Casey means Graves never complained about pain.... but hearing in general that Graves never complained is one of the funniest things I have read.

I have more comments to make... just not when I am so tired.

I'm so sick of Casey. He sounds like a six year old little girl.

what i'm sick of is all of these players lying about being hurt! What do they think they are proving by going out there and being "gamers"? If graves is hurt and didn't tell anyone, then he deserves to be cut, so does weber and so does wilson. There should be a clause in every baseball players contract that allows the team to cut them if they can show that the player knew he was hurt and didn't do anything about it. Same with mike mathews last year. It's like these guys think they are showing how tough they are by going out and getting shelled with an injury.

Tough is telling your team that you aren't healthy enough to go, or telling your team that you are hurt and playing great anyway (a la curt schilling). But hiding and injury and playing like crap doesn't make you a tough guy in my eyes. Graves never complained? Well maybe he should have. Maybe if he had a long time ago we would have won a few more games and he'd still have a job.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    what i'm sick of is all of these players lying about being hurt! What do they think they are proving by going out there and being "gamers"? If graves is hurt and didn't tell anyone, then he deserves to be cut, so does weber and so does wilson. There should be a clause in every baseball players contract that allows the team to cut them if they can show that the player knew he was hurt and didn't do anything about it. Same with mike mathews last year. It's like these guys think they are showing how tough they are by going out and getting shelled with an injury.

Tough is telling your team that you aren't healthy enough to go, or telling your team that you are hurt and playing great anyway (a la curt schilling). But hiding and injury and playing like crap doesn't make you a tough guy in my eyes. Graves never complained? Well maybe he should have. Maybe if he had a long time ago we would have won a few more games and he'd still have a job.
    Well put. Seems us fans think Graves was an idiot for taking the ball instead of being a hero like Casey and his teammates think. I bet his shoulder is hurt a little but that's not an excuse for being ineffective since 2002 when he was so sorry as a closer they moved him into the rotation. This is nothing new.

Danny's problem is Krispy Kremes and tatoos in the off season instead of workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy
    I'm so sick of Casey. He sounds like a six year old little girl.
    I love Casey, but I am thinking he will be traded. His value can't get really that much higher. That would move Dunn to 1st, even though he doesn't want to play there full time.

Even with the release of Graves and Jimenez this team is still in shambles. They should let me GM for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by theFatty
    I love Casey, but I am thinking he will be traded. His value can't get really that much higher. That would move Dunn to 1st, even though he doesn't want to play there full time.

Even with the release of Graves and Jimenez this team is still in shambles. They should let me GM for a few days.
    seems to me casey's value could be a lot higher, like as high as it was last year when he actually hit for power. If he starts hitting doubles and HRs again i could see him being delt, but i don't think that we'd get too much for an aging judy of a first baseman, no matter how nice he is.

Also, if anyone moves to first, it would probably be griffey i think, to save his legs.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    Casey is starting to hit now. Despite his poor start to the year, he has his OPS getting closer and closer to .800 and his OBP up to .353.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    seems to me casey's value could be a lot higher, like as high as it was last year when he actually hit for power. If he starts hitting doubles and HRs again i could see him being delt, but i don't think that we'd get too much for an aging judy of a first baseman, no matter how nice he is.

Also, if anyone moves to first, it would probably be griffey i think, to save his legs.
    i really would like to see Casey get moved, not just to make room in the OF, but just for comments like this, I know you want to be the spokesman and all, but its obvious that the fans wanted Graves out, sticking up for him is only going to turn the fans on you..

Please... Please.. Trade Casey

I don't mind sticking up for graves, but when casey said that he thought it would negatively affect the team, that's bull. That's certainly not the talk of a captain, it's whiny. "It hurt all our feelings so much i just don't think we can play baseball that well anymore." Well guess what mayor, that won't be that different, we're used to it by now..
    Reds MVP Race

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    This is the first time in my life that I am pissed at Casey. He is a class act and always has good to say about this team and the game of baseball. But right now he is making a huge mistake. I thought, at first, that he was just trying to show Graves some sympathy. But it seems like he is really mad about this situation. I would understand that it would suck to lose a friend that you have been inclined to be around for a while. But it is time to understand that he really negativelty effecting the performance of this team. I don't expect Casey to act like he agrees, but somewhere deep down I fugured he understood the whole thing. You have to be stupid not to. As said before, Thank God casey is not the GM. It would just be a buddy fest every game instead of having a team that could win ballgames.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    Casey had more to say on the Dan Patrick radio show today. He basically said that the players didn't like how it was handled (the phone call, and without checking out other options first). He said it does now weigh on his mind that he could be shipped out at any second, but said that he would prefer to stay in Cincy the rest of his career, however, it had become abundantly clear that baseball is a business and it doesn't matter what happened in the past.

* I personally think he should have realized that already, given the fact that the team elected to not bring back the one player that had done more for the Reds in his career, than any other player on the roster last year (barry larkin). For that matter he should have realized it long before this instance too *

MLB ERA
    Hal told me that he thought it was classless how the situation was handled. He said for O'Brien just to have Graves talk to him on the phone showed "no class".

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Hal told me that he thought it was classless how the situation was handled. He said for O'Brien just to have Graves talk to him on the phone showed "no class".
    That much I agree with