Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Danny says change in role led to his eventual demise

Reds close book on Danny
    Closer says change in role led to his eventual demise

By John Fay
    Enquirer staff writer

In one of Baseball's great ironies, Danny Graves' career as a Red ended on the day Jim Bowden returned to Cincinnati.

Bowden was the general manager who brought Graves to the Reds in a 1997 trade with the Cleveland Indians. Now he's the general manager of the Washington Nationals.

On Bowden's watch, Graves became the best closers in Reds history. He is the team's all-time saves leader (182).

But Bowden decided to convert Graves into a starting pitcher in 2003, a move Graves thinks may have led to his demise as a Red.

"I changed roles, which possibly could've ruined my career," Graves said Monday. "Maybe that's why I don't have velocity. I don't know. I don't have the answers. I just feel like I was given up on."

The Reds say the decision to designate Graves for assignment had everything to do with the closer's performance, and nothing to do with the obscene hand gesture Graves made to a fan during Sunday's 9-2 loss to Cleveland.

"His performance has been unsatisfactory and unacceptable," general manager Dan O'Brien said. "It hasn't been up to the standards we've come to expect for the Cincinnati Reds organization. We appreciate Danny's contributions to the organization, and we hope he finds an opportunity with another major-league club."

The Reds parted with Graves because they think his stuff is fading. His fastball, which once hit 93 mph, tops out at 87. His ERA was 7.36. He's allowed 30 hits in 18 1/3 innings.

A lack of velocity plays a major role in that decline.

"In the past, when my velocity was up in the low 90s, I could get away with a lot more stuff," Graves said. "Balls up in the zone I could get away with. When your velocity is not there, you can't make mistakes. I don't feel like anything is wrong with me, but maybe there is, or maybe it's just my time to go. I don't know. I have no idea. But I know in the next few days, I'm going to try and figure out if there is something wrong with me physically. I just never did before because I never thought there was."

Graves isn't the only one who thinks his failed starting experiment has something to do with that. He pitched 169 innings in 2003, 71 more than 2002. "You don't lose your velocity all at once," bullpen coach Tom Hume said. "I think some of the things he went through a couple of years ago affected him."

Bowden doesn't think that is the case.

"I don't know that starting would do that," Bowden said. "Watching Danny the last two years, I think he's hurt. You don't just lose your velocity and sink.
    Click here for the rest

I don't agree with that. He was on his way down before that move was made. They were trying to save his career because closing wasn't working out for him at the time

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by theFatty

I am tired of hearing about Danny
    lol.. nice..

yeah, I knew he was going to blame that, but really I don't see how it could have he only pitched 71 more innings.. it not like he pitchd 200 more innings

smoltz seems to be alright. It's been done before, lots of starters become closers. If it was a problem for him to make the transition, the blame falls on gullet and the rest of the staff for not preparing him properly.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    smoltz seems to be alright. It's been done before, lots of starters become closers. If it was a problem for him to make the transition, the blame falls on gullet and the rest of the staff for not preparing him properly.
    well, not to nit pick, but he went from starter to closer back to starter, not closer to starter back to closer.. but i still agree with you, it shouldn't have been a big deal

Quote Originally Posted by NFLman2033
    well, not to nit pick, but he went from starter to closer back to starter, not closer to starter back to closer.. but i still agree with you, it shouldn't have been a big deal
    i know what he did, i'm just saying starters make the transition to closing all the time. I don't see where Danny can say that being a starter hurt him, unless he wasn't prepared correctly.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Dannyboy's just making excuses.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I am seriously done with Graves. As should this team be. It's over for him in a Reds uniform, so I do not care what he says. I just wish the rest of the team would get over it quickly. This may have had an effect on the team more than we think. With Graves gone in itself should produce a positive outcome, but with the team now in fear that nobody is untouchable, we may see a team that tries a little harder. Look at Milton last night, he did his job for the first time in a long while. This could be a turning point and I am saying thank you Dan O'Brien.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I am seriously done with Graves. As should this team be. It's over for him in a Reds uniform, so I do not care what he says. I just wish the rest of the team would get over it quickly. This may have had an effect on the team more than we think. With Graves gone in itself should produce a positive outcome, but with the team now in fear that nobody is untouchable, we may see a team that tries a little harder. Look at Milton last night, he did his job for the first time in a long while. This could be a turning point and I am saying thank you Dan O'Brien.
    you are right, it definitely had an effect on the team.....WE WON LAST NIGHT

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    You going to be here for the win tonight bip?

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    yep, I should be around for the full affair. I actually got to listen to the whole game last night, it made me feel real good.