Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Lopez still applying the lessons Larkin taught

Reds notebook
    Wilson return remains on hold

By John Erardi
    Enquirer staff writer

LOPEZ LISTENS: Reds shortstop Felipe Lopez went 2-for-5 Sunday to raise his batting average to .301.

He has started the last 17 games, and has hit safely in 14 of them. In that stretch, he is 23-for-73 with 10 doubles, three homers and 11 RBI. He has started at shortstop in all 11 games since Rich Aurilia went on the disabled list.

Lopez said he is still applying the lessons learned from mentor Barry Larkin, the ex-Reds star shortstop who now works for the Nationals.

"The big thing Barry taught me was (to) be confident, play hard, don't make excuses. At the end of the day, be able to look in the mirror and say, 'I gave it my all. I did my job,' " Lopez said. "I can still hear that voice telling me things."

Lopez said Larkin was a leader, but there are other Reds who have filled that void, saying what needs to be said. But Larkin had a "presence" that any team would miss.
    Click here for the rest of Reds Notebook

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Whatever Lopez is doing, it is working. Barry still has an effect on this team it seems. Good to know that.

AAA ERA
    before this season I was not sold on the idea of FeLo being the future at SS, i guess because I watched him throw 3 balls in the dugout in person at GABP in 2003, and have had my doubts since then.. but this season once the season got going I have came around, and have been lobying for him to start at SS everyday since going 3 for 4 in Stl.. he is the future, the future is now.. he is a worthy replacement for Larkin.. I think he is good for .300 with 20 HR's and 70 RBI.. if he can learn to steal some bases, he could be an All Star calliber player

I was with NFLman early this year. Then I thought he was a much better choice than Aurilia, and he has proved to be. I was not a fan of him, but bringing Aurilia in made me an instant supporter.