Thread: Freel: "Guess I'm still a utility guy"

MLB ERA

Freel: "Guess I'm still a utility guy"

Struggling Wilson gets a timeout

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | Paul Wilson's turn in the Cincinnati Reds rotation is being skipped for the Washington Nationals series and, as expected, Wilson is about as happy about it as run-over road kill.

Eric Milton, Brandon Claussen and Aaron Harang are scheduled to face Washington this week and that's as far as manager Dave Miley would commit.

Will Wilson, 1-5 with a 7.77 earned run average, re-emerge over the weekend against Pittsburgh?

"They are giving me a few days to get things right," said Wilson politely but cryptically when asked about his situation. "That's all I can tell you. I'm trying to get it right. And that's pretty much all I'm going to say. . .and it is nothing against you guys (the media)."

It is, though, against management's decision.

Wilson's few words sounds as if they came off a tape-recorded message from Miley.

"We're giving (Wilson) an opportunity to get it right," said Miley. "He is doing a lot of things right now. He and (pitching coach) Don Gullett are working closely."

In his last three starts, all smashing defeats, Wilson has given up 20 earned runs, 25 hits and four homers in 101/3 innings, a 17.42 ERA.

And he maintains he is physically sound.

Griffey's advice

Ken Griffey Jr. said Cleveland third baseman and former Reds teammate Aaron Boone wasn't happy that Griffey chased down Boone's long drive in center field, catching it over his shoulder with his back to the infield.

"Aaron told me to quit messing with him," said Griffey. "I told him, 'Get some hitting help from C.C. Sabathia.'"

Indians pitcher Sabathia hit a line drive home run Saturday over the center field wall and Griffey said, "If the grass behind the wall hadn't stopped it I would have been chasing it to Lunken Airport."

Griffey also said a fan heckled him Saturday about a couple of balls that fell in, yelling, "We're paying you millions of dollars, catch those damn balls."

Griffey calmly turned to the man and said, "I'm sorry, Mr. Lindner."

No P.T. for Cruz

Pinch-hitter Jacob Cruz has made 24 pinch-hitter appearances in the first 44 games, but has not played on defense, the only position player in the majors who has not played an inning of defense.

He is taking it good naturedly.

When asked about his P.T., (playing time), he smiled and said, "I don't even know how to spell P.T."

Freel antsy

Ryan Freel was given one more day to permit his stiff back recovery time.

Freel, though, wasn't pleased. Asked about his general demeanor before Sunday's game, he said, "I'm miserable."

Because you aren't playing?

"That's exactly why," he said. "Guess I'm still a utility guy."

Freel's back tightened a couple of days after a hideous slide into second base Tuesday in New York and he hasn't started a game since.

"I feel good, I feel great, no problems," he said. "I hurt my knee on that slide, not my back, but it stiffened a couple of days later. I'm OK now."

Said manager Dave Miley about the guy leading his team with a .316 batting average, "He is still getting treatment and I'd like not to use him (Sunday) and give him until (Monday night) to get back in the lineup."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    LOL Griffey is hilarious.

Anyways I am glad Freel is fired up about this. He better start Monday and continue to be the starter after that. Bergolla had his opportunity and this is Freel's position no doubt about it. This better not become another DJ vs. Freel Aurilia vs. Lopez thing with management.

MLB ERA
    Griffey is such an easy to get along with guy if you give him the chance. Unfortunately some don't do that.

I really like Freel's attitude a lot. He not only gives it his all on the field, but he is willing to speak the truth in situations like this one.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

I wish I would have read this an hour ago. My friend, Griffey hater, said that Griffey yelled "Shut the f*** up" to some fans. I didn't believe it, and I guess I was right.