Thread: Pete Mackanin

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Pete Mackanin

How is he doing? I have not been able to see much other than box scores the last week or so. Anyone watching the games and have opinions of his moves please share with me (us).

MLB ERA

Re: Pete Mackanin

I think he's better than Narron but not good enough to be hired full-time.

He seems to have a quicker hook in terms of pitchers and seems to (overall) bring in the right pitchers at the right times (though NOT all the time and he has been a little worse recently, IMO).

The team also seems to play smarter baseball overall and is more aggressive on the bases (in a smart way for the most part).

On the other hand, his lineups have been Narron-like for the most part, though he has at least tried a few new combinations.

Overall I've liked what he's done with the pitching more than the hitting.

The team might be "better than it looked"(under Narron) with him managing, but still not good enough to land him the job. At least that statement doesn't look so dumb now, as I think Narron was one of a number of factors that contributed to me questioning the "better than it looks" statement now. The team might truly be better than they looked then, just because Narron is not around to single-handedly blow as many games.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.