Thread: Wilson to be skipped again

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Wilson to be skipped again

Notes: Wilson skipped in rotation
    Pitcher being given a few days to 'get things right'
    By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Paul Wilson's "extra day" of rest will turn out to be much more than that.

Wilson's turn in the rotation is being skipped altogether, as he won't get the ball in the three-game series against the Nationals this week at Great American Ball Park.

The Reds will instead give starts to left-hander Eric Milton on Monday, left-hander Brandon Claussen on Tuesday and right-hander Aaron Harang on Wednesday.

Beyond that, the rotation is listed as "TBA."

Wilson, who hasn't recorded a win since April 20 and whose ERA is an unhealthy 7.77, didn't have much to say when asked about the decision to skip him. But he clearly was less than pleased.

"All I can tell you is they're giving me a few days to get things right," he said.

Though he's reported no physical problems, the 32-year-old Wilson's velocity has been sinking. In his last outing against the Mets on May 16, in which he gave up six earned runs on eight hits over 5 1/3 innings, his fastball only hit 88 mph on the radar once or twice and usually hovered around 86 mph.

Because Wilson, the Reds' Opening Day starter, prides himself on getting the starting nod every fifth day, this move can't be sitting well with him.

But manager Dave Miley said it's necessary.

"We're just giving him the opportunity to get right," Miley said.

All appears to be right with Claussen, who will take the mound for the first time since spraining his left ankle on May 10 against the Padres. He suffered the injury when he fell awkwardly while getting pegged with a hard line drive off the bat of Carlos Hernandez.

Claussen (1-3, 4.71 ERA) had been pitching pretty well before the injury in that outing, giving up just three hits over 3 1/3 scoreless innings.
    Click here for the rest

Where have you ever heard of just taking pitchers "off the team" for work on the side while still occupying a precious roster spot? This has been commonplace in the Miley/O'Brien tenure. They did that with Claussen where they should have put him on the DL. And they're now doing it with Wilson where they should announce that he's been moved to long relief for the time being.

No wonder they have 13 pitchers...'cause some are just "working out".

Show some guts and leadership and announce that Wilson is not getting the job done, we can't afford to send starters out there that give us performances like 7.71 ERA Wilson and that we're moving him to the 'pen where he can get himself straightened out.

A Hallmark of the O'Brien years will be empty roster spots.

MLB ERA
    O'Brien has wasted roster spots about eight different times now. We are either short a player for a few days at a time or we just leave players around when we could call up someone such as Kelly from Louisville.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AAA ERA
    well damn if Pena would be ready, we have a person to put on the DL in his place

MLB ERA
    I think Graves is going to be one of the first dumped. I see him being gone as early as tomorrow.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    CRF, sounds like you know something? LOL, just picking on you bro.

I don't get it either though guys. Hopefully DanO hopes that this is showing Wilson that he has one last chance. It better be his last chance too. One more cahnce to get something going, then it is time to make a move. I honestly am hoping that he gets some work in and find his velocity the next few days. Would be amazing for us to get the Wilson of old. So, in hopes of not completely tarnishing Wilson's thoughts of himself, they may be giving him a little more time to get it together. Putting pressure on him to show him this is the last chance he has.

AAA ERA
    well giving home town fans the bird isn't a way to keep you around.. he may have done it with intention of getting out of cincy.. who knows.. but Tracy Jones was calling for his head(if it was true, since he didn't see it, he wasn't going to fuss too much, but he said if it was true then yeah he needs to go) so hopefully someone was listening and with the Moves the team needs to make, droping him like a bad habbit would be a hell of a start

I think Wagner should be the closer, at least for now, to see if he can handle it, if he can't then we just find someone else

MLB ERA
    redsrbetter, all I can say is: "stay tuned". We might not have to wait long.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    LOL, took the words right out of DanO's mouth. How about we cut both Dannys? Graves and O'Brien.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    NFLman, I totally agree. I hope Jones was right and I hope that O'Brien learns of this. This kind of thing should absolutely not be put up with. He is a role model and should be a professional at all costs. Again, he definitel needs to grow up and learn that he deserves it. I would hate to be booed too, but if I deserved it, I would take it like a man and then tell the media it is just that I suck right now and hopefully I will find my way back. I would honestly beg DanO to send me down where I can hopefully find my way back in AAA. But with Graves, he may even make the Louisville roster look bad.

Well Wilson should have been on the DL and call up Steve Kelly. I have been calling for this move for awhile now. And then Stone should be sent down along with Luis Lopez. That would make room for EE and WMP.