Thread: The potential of not caring

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

The potential of not caring

Matt Belisle was on the mound last night with a 3-0 count to Chase Utley. He serves up a fastball right down the pipe and Utley crushed it over the fence. Ok, I can understand Belisle not wanting to walk him, but now he knows that a 3-0 count is not a time to serve something up to Utley.

Lets move on the the third inning. Cahse Utley is up again with a 3-0 count. Surely Belisle has learned from his very recent mistake. Nope, he serves up that same meat pitch. Guess where it goes. It flies to the same spot as the previous HR. What did he expect?

this is just one scenario of many that this team is showing a lack of care. Look guys, the season is over, I know this. So why should this team care? Well for one, not only should these players play hard to show what they can do for a team that can win, but they should play hard to help their own career move along. And another reason to play hard is to show free agents to be that this team is still trying to "get better everyday."

I also realize that Krivsky is the one I am quoting there, and that he has really neglected that course of action. This doesn't help either.

So where do you guys want to see this team going. I am on the fence and hope they can find a happy medium between playing respectable baseball for free agents to feel like their help could give them the momentum they need and at the same time barely losing enough games to climb the draft order ladder.

Is there shame in admitting this as a fan? I don't think so. I am thinking about the future.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: The potential of not caring

Mari Rijo asked me a question in another thread and my answer fits within this thread a bit better.

Rijo asked if I think this team should show that they are worth looking into from a free agent stand point, would it change my thinking as far as having a firesale goes? (Not his words, but generally what he was asking.)

I think this team definitely needs to be blown up. Until then and even after, the players on this team need to show up and define their part for the team. Someone like Arroyo is a good example. We could lose this game tonight which is fine with me for the draft ladder, but Arroyo had a fine night on the mound only giving up one run. One could look at that performance and hope that he can continue on a stride to becoming the pitcher he was last season. These performances could show up in a free agent's mind as something that this team could build on.

Let the firesale happen, but keep key parts as well. Hope those key parts will shine in the second half. Then just make sure during your firesale you gain prospects that could help this team in the near future.

All of this points in the right direction for the future. You gain prospects from trades and higher touted spects from the draft ladder. You also gain a little respect if your franchise type players show they just need some help to make this ballclub a winner.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Blow up the team! There is no reason to keep players that don't play up to your teams standards. Look at the White Soxs, there was going to be a blow up there and now Burhle (-- spelling ) is not leaving. They have won 5 games in a row and all is great in Chicago. Maybe what is needed is a threat to the team, Play hard win games or face the trade block! I can't understand why the Reds have not started to move out some vets and rebuild the club.

Twins had to do this back in the mid 80's and we won two world championships. Puckett was the key th the 91 series! Anyways rebuild the team in a year or three you might be able to win your division and get into the playoffs!
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Good stuff twins,

Firesale sounds good to me. But again, Krivsky can't go all out either. We have to keep some core players around. I think Harang, Hamilton, Phillips, Encarnacion and Bailey should be untouchable. Other than Harang, none of them are going to make big money for a while.

The biggest concern is that if Dunn is traded, who will replace him? Having Hopper/Freel as the replacement or stop-gap ntil Bruce is called up is not a good direction to point. The first year of Bruce likely will not bring replacement production well enough to be compared to Dunn either. Maybe later, but not right away.

This tells me that Griffey likely has to stay as well. Unless a better deal is offered for Griffey than Dunn. then you keep Dunn and deal Griffey. But one or the other has to stay. Hamilton/Freel/Griffey isn't a bad outfield. Get a good OF bat for the bench in free agency and we should be ok while waiting for Bruce. That would be my answer.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Just go young. I agree with who you would keep, but you cant get what your team needs without giving up a piece or two, Hamilton and Bailey is nft for sure.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL