Thread: Griffey would welcome a move to Chicago Cubs

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Griffey would welcome a move to Chicago Cubs

Meanwhile, at the top of the Cubs' wish list might be a left-handed hitter capable of hitting every day in the middle of the order. Cliff Floyd is that kind of player, but his health issues could leave just enough doubt to make a deal for a player such as Ken Griffey Jr. look like a fit by the July 31 deadline.
    RELATED STORIES
    Barrett out at plate

Griffey has a history with manager Lou Piniella and is unhappy in Cincinnati, where he was moved from center field to right this year. Not only are the Reds shopping him, but he has said privately to those close to him that he would welcome a move to Chicago.
    Griffey is signed through next season with a team option for 2009 at salaries of $6.5 million each year. While the Cubs' uncertain ownership future makes acquiring a player with a multiyear contract more difficult, team officials say they haven't been told they can't take on salary beyond this year.
    Now, of course we don't see Griffey quoted as saying this much. But it is fodder worth chatting up I think. This is the same stuff that comes out every year. So we can either make fun of it or come up with our own versions of how it may go down.
    I, for one would absolutely hate to see Griffey in a Cubs uniform. My God, that would be the worst thing that happened to baseball since steroids were invented.

Re: Griffey would welcome a move to Chicago Cubs

I, for one would absolutely hate to see Griffey in a Cubs uniform. My God, that would be the worst thing that happened to baseball since steroids were invented.

I shudder to think as well RSB.

MLB ERA

Why would he want to go to the Cubs? I think that would be a bad move.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

I don't know why he would wanna play for the Cubs, but this was an interesting article. And it seemed to slip by alot of spying eyes, I saw it the day it was wrote but wanted to see if anyone else did.

June 18th
    Which one's a keeper?
    One man's opinion: Time is right to deal Dunn

Column by The Post's Lonnie Wheeler

All these years, we've wondered what the Reds could do if Ken Griffey Jr. were healthy and hitting like he can. Now, sadly, we know.

Apparently, it wouldn't make any difference in the National League standings if Griffey were sharing a batting order with Babe Ruth and Ted Williams. Or Babe the pig and Ted the Kennedy. Whatever.

For most of April, the Reds were pretty decent. Griffey wasn't. The hand he broke over the winter wasn't quite right yet, and then there was that digestive condition that nobody can spell, followed by pleurisy, which nobody can define. He finished the month with one home run, a creaky bat and a nation of doubters.

Once he had exhausted the medical dictionary, Junior began to hit well enough to be returned to the third spot in the Cincinnati lineup. Not that there was lively competition for it. But upon settling there, even as the Reds reeked increasingly until they were the only sixth-place team in the game, he began to hit well enough to remind everyone how great a figure is in our midst, and has been through all the ailing seasons.

Over the last six of them, the former Player of the Decade - that was the decade before he got to Cincinnati - has averaged but 92 games a schedule. If he had played a reasonable norm of 142 during those difficult years, an extra 50 a pop, it would have added 300 games, roughly two seasons' worth, to his resume. At 45 homers per - he averaged 49 over his last six healthy years in Seattle - that would raise Griffey's career total by 90, which would put him with 671 at this moment, which would render ridiculous all this speculation about trading him.

As it stands, his value probably hasn't been better since he arrived back in his hometown. The $12.5 million he makes annually, through next year (there's a club option for 2009 at $16.5 million), doesn't seem so weighty when you consider that he suddenly stands second in the league in home runs - or at least he did until Adam Dunn, his buddy and running mate in trade rumors, clubbed a couple Sunday. And when you consider not only the power of Griffey's game, but the power of Griffey's name.

Suppose, though, that the Reds could manage to find a generous taker for their right fielder. Could they spend $12.5 million in a more prudent fashion? Or finally, at 37, in his eighth Cincinnati season, with a slimmer midsection and friskier legs, with the move away from center field, has Griffey become more precious to the Reds than anyone they could get for him?

It's a quandary occasioned expressly by his impressive hitting over an extended stretch now. And by the acrid sentiment that we've seen enough of this season.

If there was any remaining doubt as to which side of the counter Wayne Krivsky should stand on for the next six weeks, it was dispelled in the latest, squandered, dispiriting homestand; more specifically, by the gruesome pounding the home team took Sunday from the dreadful Texas Rangers, with the series at stake. The Reds persist in doing a few things well - hitting home runs being foremost among them - but not nearly well enough to overcome that which they do miserably, such as hit and pitch in the clutch. Clearly, they're a team on which the reconfiguring remains eminently unfinished.

So who goes? Dunn's recent hot streak can only abet Krivsky's reported efforts to trade him to a contender in pursuit of big hitting, but his contract is large and problematic - larger, by next year, and more problematic than Griffey's.

And what if Griffey, who has the right to veto any trade he's involved in, should desire to leave Cincinnati? Don't forget that, four months ago, he told a Seattle columnist, "My home's in Florida. I work in Cincinnati. That 19-year-old kid who's now 37 has a whole different opinion of people. I work in Cincinnati. That's it."

If Griffey would rather play in Los Angeles or Atlanta, do the Reds owe it to him to make a deal happen, if it's reasonable? And on the flip side, does he owe it to them to do the same, if Krivsky finds a compatible buyer?

Sunday, all Griffey would say on the subject was, "I can't control what happens upstairs. I'm employee No. 3. That's the furthest thing from my mind right now."

It's likely not, however, the furthest thing from Krivsky's. The GM hasn't said as much, and he wouldn't, but could the Reds actually divest themselves of both their sluggers? Should they?

For Dunn, the time appears to be right, if not the circumstances.

For Griffey, it's the other way around. The way he's going, he could have his 600th home run before the Reds' awful season is over. If they should trade him now, who would there be to watch on the days Homer Bailey isn't pitching? At long last, Cincinnati is savoring a sweet glimpse of the superstar that Seattle saw before the turn of the century.

It's ironic, in that light, that Griffey will have found his old form just in time for the Reds' rare series this week in western Washington. He didn't want to talk about the celebrated revisit, but when asked on Father's Day whether he would welcome a more permanent return to the site of his youthful glory, the illustrious outfielder did have one provocative remark.

"What's their record?" he asked.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

MLB ERA

The Cubs already have a stupidly overloaded outfield with Soriano, Murton, Jones, Floyd, and Pie. I don't see them hittin' up the Griffey train with that going on.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I immediately thought of Pie as well. Not sure why they would go after him. I think Jones is on their trading block though and Griffey would be an upgrade to him anyhow.

Interesting find Rijo. I hadn't seen that yet. Hmmm...

So Griffey just may want to be traded. I am getting mixed reports all over though. The thread I put up the other day about him not seeking a win made me feel like he isn't all that concerned about a championship.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Griffey would welcome a move to Chicago Cubs

why would you want to go the Cubs? That orgnization is in disarray. New ownership, plus I don't think the Cubs have a true idea of which direction they are heading, IMO. And with Wood and Prior out there in limbo still, who knows what they are going to do for pitching. I think Zambrano has worn out his welcome, plus I really don't think he wants to be there anyways!!

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    why would you want to go the Cubs? That orgnization is in disarray. New ownership, plus I don't think the Cubs have a true idea of which direction they are heading, IMO. And with Wood and Prior out there in limbo still, who knows what they are going to do for pitching. I think Zambrano has worn out his welcome, plus I really don't think he wants to be there anyways!!
    No one! BTW Jayson Stark reported on the evening Sportscenter that the Chicago Newspaper (Sun times? The name escapes me at the moment) that owns the club did in fact tell the FO that they will not ok a deal in which they have to pay $$$'s out past this season. And if they were to do it, they would give Zambrano a contract extension 1st and foremost before taking on anyone else's salary(s).

So the only way to deal Jr. to them would be to send our good friend Pile O' Cash along with him to cover next years and his '09 salary ( 14.5 Mill not likely?!).

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

AAA ERA

i had no idea Griffey was unhappy

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    No one! BTW Jayson Stark reported on the evening Sportscenter that the Chicago Newspaper (Sun times? The name escapes me at the moment) that owns the club did in fact tell the FO that they will not ok a deal in which they have to pay $$$'s out past this season. And if they were to do it, they would give Zambrano a contract extension 1st and foremost before taking on anyone else's salary(s).

So the only way to deal Jr. to them would be to send our good friend Pile O' Cash along with him to cover next years and his '09 salary ( 14.5 Mill not likely?!).
    the tribune, not the slum times.

and i dont want griffey. in his prime? sure. nowadays? hes just another aging outfielder
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rockin500 View Post
    and i dont want griffey. in his prime? sure. nowadays? hes just another aging outfielder
    A trade for him just doesn't make any sense for you guys with your OF depth. And at the same time, I am hoping 29 GM's feel the same way as you because with our FO unwillingness to spend and poor moves, we could be in the dark ages for awhile and Griffey sure does make it a bit brighter.

That and I don't think Krivsky will realize the value for Dunn or Griffey. Trading a play, no matter how good, is never a problem, it's just the return that is.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Griffey would welcome a move to Chicago Cubs

I have to agree with you on this one mission. If you are going to trade those two players, you need some better than average compensation. Your trades recently have not been all the best lately, IMO. But I dont follow the Reds nearly as close as you guys do in this forum. Just my perspective from the outside!!

It's biased ass espn wanting Junior out of Cinci.They would salivate at the the thought of him being a Yankee or Red Sox.That would be more rating's for their station.Hidden agenda's to abound everywhere,you just have to ''put 2 and 2''together sometime.I cherish the day when the Reds are back in contention for the pennant,to espn's disdain.
    Pete Gammons and onetime bbtn host Harold Reynolds are the only people on espn who have ever supported the Reds.The rest can go to you know where.