Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Griffey would approve deal to the Braves

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Griffey would approve deal to the Braves

This is a bit from Jayson Stark. I got it off of MLB trade rumors.

Ken Griffey Jr. would approve a trade to Atlanta and might consider certain other teams. Junior is making $12.5MM this year and next, plus a $4MM buyout for '09. Quite a bit of the contract is deferred, also. $29MM over 2007-08 is still pretty steep, but now would be the right time to trade Griffey.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Griffey would approve deal to the Braves

Now I know this is just a rumor, but now that the draft is over, I am starting to wonder what is really going on. Would Griffey waive his 10-5 rights? Looks like Stark knows something.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

This isn't news or even a rumor. Griffey has always been willing to Atlanta, much more so than any team should the situation arise given the proximity to the home and all this is pure speculation of where Griffey could go if the Reds continue to plummet (that's what Stark essentially said), what team would make sense given their record and where Griffey would want to go.

Wurtland Middle School
    Rookie ERA

Saltamacchia (sp.?) and an arm would be nice

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I am sure the Braves fans are saying, Griffey wouldn't be bad at all, how about him and Bailey for Davies?

Personally, I want to keep Griffey. With him re-finding his plate discipline and move the RF, all of my complaints about him from last season have been silenced; not to mention the guy was my baseball hero growing up and watching him hit a homer with that swing is unlike many other moments we can experience as Reds fans (other than that elusive win.)

At this point, and it's the same with Manny on the Sox side, I don't see the payoff being worth the hassle of dealing Junior at this point. The Braves might use him as a short term replacement for Andruw Jones, but the odds of getting anything more than an okay role-player and/or a prospect that may turn into a good player are pretty slim without the Reds paying a lot of cash to the Braves
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA

I have always like Griffey. I started watching him while he was with Seattle. I wouldn't mind having him in a Braves uniform.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

And if you pay that kind of cash for that kind of return, then why not just keep him on the team, count down to 600 and onward with him and have him retire a Red? Having Griffey here for when Jay Bruce comes would certainly be nice IMO. Not to mention that the man can still flat out hit.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Don't get me wrong I love Griffey as well. I fear our offense would depreciate greatly withut him. But should we expect this to continue on into next season? Right now is where his value is all an incredible high.

If we don't trade him and wait for Jay Bruce to come up, then where do either Hamilton or Dunn fit? Should we trade Dunn instead? If so, do you guys think we could get as for Dunn much as what we could get for Junior?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The bottom line is that Griffey is old and has a lot of deferred payments for any team to make who takes him. Dunn is not the ideal player for most teams and those teams who sees his value will offer below it because that is what the market dictates. From a baseball sense, it makes more sense to trade Griffey. But from a sentimental stance, Griffey gives the Reds some edge and a reason why we should care about them to an extent. Personally, and I love Votto, I would see what a near ready power hitting 1B like him could net and if it was equal value to his worth... I'd consider it. In terms of getting back fair value for their talent, I don't see either Dunn or Griffey getting it for the reasons I mentioned as well as Dunn being essentially a rent a player to a team.

The Reds always half-ass it, they never sign enough talent to win and they never trade enough to restock the farm enough. Personally I think we're a lot closer to competing than most I would imagine and I would rather gain a few pieces to try our hands at the Central this or next year then throwing in the towel which by trading a guy like Dunn would do.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

We all know Dunn is all but guaranteed to go, or at least the media is giving that perception, but my question is why? Dunn's production is not going to be replaced so if you trade him, why not trade Arroyo-Harang-Weathers-Hatteberg-Griffey-Freel-Conine-Ross-Valentin-Lohse... essentially anyone close to or over 30 or is making big bucks or close to it. If you rebuild, do it right. But the production is not going to be replaced from within til a guy like Bruce comes up and even then that's questionable we all KNOW that the Reds won't sign a player of Dunn's talent (which would surely cost 80+ mil contract in today's market). We have one more year guaranteed of Dunn and unless R Cast was lying about cash not being a concern for talent, then there is no reason why we shouldn't keep him til the next deadline if a full rebuild is not going to happen.

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

Trading JR to the Braves excites me about as much as the prospect of having to watch The Sopranos finale all over again.

First of all, I love JR and I do not think this team is 3-4 years away from being competitive. I want to win and I think he can help us do that, as soon as next year. He's one of my fave all time players.

Secondly, I want Krivsky to take John Schuerholtz off the speed-dial. If Jim Bowden can fleece him the way he did, I hate to see what kind of return we'd get for Griffey. We've never gotten anything of value from the Braves in ANY deal that I can recall. You think they're going to give us Salty? Nope. Not gonna happen. IF Krivs makes the decision to deal JR, I sure as hell hope we finds a different trading partner. Personally, I think Krivs realizes that Reds' fans don't exactly hold him in high esteem right now and I doubt he wants to be known as the one who dealt one of the most popular players in the history of baseball for a handful of magic beans.

Jung Bong, anyone?
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    We all know Dunn is all but guaranteed to go, or at least the media is giving that perception, but my question is why? Dunn's production is not going to be replaced so if you trade him, why not trade Arroyo-Harang-Weathers-Hatteberg-Griffey-Freel-Conine-Ross-Valentin-Lohse... essentially anyone close to or over 30 or is making big bucks or close to it. If you rebuild, do it right. But the production is not going to be replaced from within til a guy like Bruce comes up and even then that's questionable we all KNOW that the Reds won't sign a player of Dunn's talent (which would surely cost 80+ mil contract in today's market). We have one more year guaranteed of Dunn and unless R Cast was lying about cash not being a concern for talent, then there is no reason why we shouldn't keep him til the next deadline if a full rebuild is not going to happen.

I know this comes close to opening the age old argument about whther or not Dunn is good. I am wishy washy with him as many are. The bottom line with him though is that he is our biggest offensive production. The guy brings so much talent to this team it is ridiculous. Even keeping him around for this season and not picking up his option would grant us a draft pick for 08. There are many reasons to keep Dunn on.

And as you have said many times over, Krivsky and co. have not shown they can handle making a deal on a large scale. Maybe the Arroyo deal, but that could have been luck.

With all that said, what makes this team better? Dealing from our strength with Freel and Hopper being able to stop gap for Bruce (who has all the signs to be very productive) and getting some valuable pitching prospect(s) in return that could make their mark on the 2008 roster? Or would it be better for Krivsky to keep Dunn, not be able to trade Griffey, and have nowhere for Bruce to play next season? We would be back to having the Juan Encarnacion/Kearns, Guillen/Kearns, Pena/Kearns situation with Hamilton/Bruce. Both of those guys need to start in 2008. So where is the room if Dunn and Griffey stay?

Overall, I see many reasons to keep Dunn. But if Griffey cannot be traded, we must find the best suitor for him. He is already being valued on the market and it seems as though there are going to be plenty of opportunities for Krivsky to explore. Lets just hope he finds the right situation this time.

If I deal Griffey to the Braves, the number one prospect I am aiming for is not Salty, but a young SS by the name of Elvis Andrus.

Think Edgar Renteria coming up with the Florida Marlins, that is Andrus, and he would be a good future replacement for Alex Gonzalez at SS.
    SBSL-Washington Nationals

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I don't think the Braves trade Andrus at all. Speaking of Renteria, Andrus is likely his replacement in Atlanta. Just my thinking at least.

Good to see you CS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast