Thread: The Magic Man Called Up (Majewski up, Coffey down)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Magic Man Called Up (Majewski up, Coffey down)

REDS RECALL RHP GARY MAJEWSKI
    Option RHP Todd Coffey To Louisville

CINCINNATI - The Cincinnati Reds today recalled from Class AAA Louisville RHP Gary Majewski and optioned to Louisville RHP Todd Coffey.

Majewski has pitched for the Bats all season and went 1-1 with a 4.50 ERA in 15 relief appearances (16ip, 14h, 8er, 4bb, 17k, 1hr). International League opponents hit just .233.

On April 20 vs Norfolk, Majewski allowed a season-high 6 earned runs while retiring just 2 batters. His ERA at Louisville without appearance drops to 1.17. He didn't allow a run in 8 games after that April 20 appearance (8.1 innings).

Late last season Majewski was on the 15-day disabled list with inflammation in his right shoulder, and he spent the early part of spring training strengthening that shoulder. He made 2 appearances for the Reds in spring training, on March 26 and March 28, then on March 29 was optioned to Louisville.

He last pitched for the Bats on Tuesday at Columbus (1.1ip, 2k).

Coffey went 1-1 with a 4.94 ERA in 26 relief appearances for the Reds. He is expected to report to Louisville tomorrow.
    The Reds good luck charm? Let's hope. At the very least, him and Bronson can give one another hair grooming and style tips:

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

Re: The Magic Man Called Up (Mawjewski up, Coffey down)

Had to happen.

Maybe he can get people out this time around.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

MLB ERA

Well, they finally made the "send Coffey to AAA" move.

Of course how Stanton remains on the roster (the contract, I know) is a mystery.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yes!

I was going to seriously go crazy if this didn't happen today. Perfect move here. Not saying it will work out, but it is very logical any way you look at it.

Stanton has to go next. Perhaps when Bray is ready?

Minor Leaguer
    AA ERA

Given Majewski's horrible peripheral stats over his major-league career I don't expect good things from him. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised. More than likely he will get chewed up and spit out by Narron's horribly abusive methods of bullpen usage.

Coffey should go down and work on his non-fastball pitches until he gains enough confidence in them to throw them for strikes against good major-league hitters. Too many fastballs over the plate has been his recipe for failure. He has good stuff. He just doesn't know how to use it properly.

Rookie ERA

This is a good move. At worst it is a wash, at best it will win this club a couple of ball games. Coffey needs to build confidence and Maj needs to readjust to MLB hitters; we probably aren't winning anything this year, so there's no time like the present.

Re: The Magic Man Called Up (Majewski up, Coffey down)

A deep fly out and an inning ending groundball.Pitched ok,kept the ball down.Lets hope Majic can keep this up.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

I think Majik sticks around this year. He can't get a whole lot worse than what Coffey was doing.

I'm kinda worried about him though. Is this just confidence issues or what? Injury? You'd think Dick Pole would be able to fix him or something.
    the #1 Redszone Reject: TeamSelig

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I just don't think Coffey is cut out for pressure situations sadly. For a pitcher of his stuff level to be so timid in key situations in just an awful sign for a guy who could easily be our closer if he could just attack the hitters in and maintain his control.

Wurtland Middle School
    Rookie ERA

Majik hit 95 last night with the FB and 87 with the slider. Narron will probably pitch him for the next three games straight like all the other relievers.

Majick did better last night than I thought he might. I think getting Coffey to AAA to work on some things and save his arm from possibly falling off by the All Star break was a good thing. I'm not real sure if I think Majick will be much of an improvement over Coffey but I guess we shall see. Luckily we will probably find out sooner than later with Narron's tendancy to overwork any guy that can get 2 batters out in a row as Majick did last night.