Thread: Majewski Ready?

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Majewski Ready?

Read this a bit earlier and think it's worth mentioning as Majewski if i'm not mistaken was at one time an 8th inning guy. He could be the answer to our 8th inning woes if he is indeed healthy. From Rosecrans Blog!

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Redlegs-Leatherpants 5.23

Read this column by the Columbus Dispatch's Bob Hunter today and thought you guys might find it interesting.

ut here's the shocker: The best news for the Reds yesterday wasn't Homer Bailey's 5 1/3 innings of one-hit ball in the Bats' 6-5 win over the Clippers but rather Majewski's 1 1/3 innings of zeroes in relief.

"I'm back to normal," Majewski said.

Majewski looked so much like the guy the Reds thought they had traded for, throwing fastballs in the low 90s and striking out two, that it suddenly seemed plausible that this nasty little Cincinnati tale might have a happy ending.

Majewski's performance followed a 1 2/3 -inning, no-hit, four-strikeout performance Sunday against the Clippers and two previous one-inning, no-run efforts after a 10-day bereavement absence because of the death of his 19-year-old sister in an ATV accident.

Majewski also was pitching well before that -- if you take away his one bad outing, a 2/3 -inning, six-run job April 20. He has a 1.17 ERA in his other 14 appearances.

"I feel like he's back," Louisville manager Rick Sweet said. "Last year, he had no life at all on anything he threw. His arm was dead. He couldn't throw every day. He wasn't right."

A healthy Majewski immediately makes this team better. I'll be interested to see when he gets the call. With reports like this, it may be pretty soon.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Re: Majewski Ready?

Oddly enough it comes on the heels of this blurb after last nights debacle.

Interesting stuff from pregame...

Jerry was asked about the 8th inning, and if he was just trying to see if there was someone who would be able to take over that role.
    "I keep trying everybody," he said.
    Then he was asked if he thought about using Weathers in the 8th and someone else in the 9th.
    "Believe me, I’ve thought about it. I’ve thought about using Weathers in the seventh, eighth and ninth."
    He continued: "We haven’t really tried Salmon or Burton in that situation with a lead. We did pitch Salmon with a lead situation in the seventh against the Astros. They are two possibilities."

Also, he said he hadn't heard the results from Hamilton's tests today, but hopes he'll be back at the park tomorrow taking BP and doing baseball stuff.
    Of course neither of these things addresses the real problem which is Narron couldn't use a pen right if it included HOF's.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Well, Coffey and Stanton have proven, time and time again, that they can't pitch in the 8th.

I'd throw Majewski right in there. Apparently he feels his arm and stuff are back to where they were in 2005. He's done it before; he's not a closer, but has been a solid 7th and 8th inning guy. And that what this team needs right now.

Coffey has great stuff, he just needs to mix in more breaking stuff (sheesh, I just used "stuff" twice in the same sentence!). He's always pounding the zone with the same speed on his pitches- his slider is almost as quick as his FB. As hard as he throws (93-94), if he can just keep guys off balance a little, he'll be fine. I like his long term potential better than Maj's.

But bring Maj up and go with him; nothing else is working.
    Last edited by Always Red; 05-23-2007 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling, duh!
    You spend your life gripping a baseball, and all the time it was the other way around. ~Jim Bouton

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I have no idea why they would even wait on this. We are at a crucial point of the season in that we need to go on a major win streak and kick it off as soon as possible. That means you have to take in all you can and have the right guys on the roster to be called in for the situation.

Now, if only we could have Narron use the situation quickly. The bright side about a callup for Majik is that one of Coffey or Stanton would have to go. More reason to do it now.

MLB ERA

Buh Bye Stanton IMO. And it should be done immediately.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

I am def cheering for Majewski to get back up here and pitch well for the rest of his career. Guy has went through an awful lot lately and deserves something great to happen to him.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post

How long have we been saying this? It won't happen even though Majewski is waiting to get the call.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Stanton is on a two year deal with sizeable enough cash behind it that I doubt it happens given Narron's enthusiasm for him. We just simply don't eat contracts all that off and the cases in which we have (of late) it was usually way after the fans were calling for it.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

How sweet would it be to see Majik go back to his Washington form... our bullpen really needs a solid and consistent pitcher
    the #1 Redszone Reject: TeamSelig

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

It would be very sweet. I honestly think he will be somewhere in the middle. Just coming off an injury and a family death will have his emotions flaring and he will have cause for some minor miscues. At least that is how I see it.

But even still, he would be an excellent additon to this bullpen. I wonder when Krivsky will figure this out though.