Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Prospect...

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Favorite Prospect...

That busted.

I'd have to say mine was Ty Howington... or Bobby Basham. I remember when Basham was TEARING UP the minors, then all of a sudden it went away. So weird.

Honorable mention should also go to Brandon Larson who tore up everything, but the majors. I do remember him hitting a HR off The Big Unit once, and thinking he was going to be a 40 HR 3B for us. Kind of funny thinking way back when...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Favorite Prospect...

I remember when I first became a Reds fan I was curious about Chris Gruler. Shows you how long I have been a Reds fan. Not long at all. But anyhow, I knew he had a lot of promise. I loved Ryan Wagner as well. I thought he was bonafide closer material. He just got called up far too early.

I really wanted Larson to be huge for us as I have some ties in LSU. And I expected him to be a major ROY candidate. Howington was already hurt by the time I really started paying attention to the Reds.

Minor Leaguer
    AA ERA

My vote would be for Larson. He was absolutely awesome in college and in the minor leagues. For some reason he just could not do anything right in the majors. I read somewhere that he is still playing in the minors this year.

Mark Lewis of Hamilton, OH was also a disappointment given that he was the 2nd pick of the 1st round of the draft. I played against him in high school. He made the bigs but never did much.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Larson was an easy guy to root for. He seemed down to earth and he seemed to be the underdog. Of course he was drafted high, but he struggled and as we all know he bloomed as a prospect later and often at levels where he was a bit too old from. He was about 26 when the Reds gave him that starting job on Opening Day and from the kind of power he had at the minors, he did look to be a really big addition to the club. And while he might define the term, AAAA Player, I think it was more than him being able to capitalize on AAA pitching because mentally that kid fell apart in all aspects of his game up here. Unless I am mistaking him for someone else, wasn't Larson a SS in college (or at least played significant time there)? Because his defense at the MLB level was just beyond horrid.

Ryan Wagner looked filthy in the summer months after the amateur draft we selected him in. Big heat and pitches that would just fall off the table leaving batters to be whiffing at pitches that would be hitting the dirt in some cases at mid-swing. He was young, post insane college statistics (what was it, like a 14.9 K/9 in his final year) and he seemed like he would be our closer for years to come. He went from that to having a fastball with really no movement and a big dropoff in velocity, and control that was spastic at best.

Tomko wasn't really a bust as he has had decent MLB years and would likely have a number of suitors on the FA market, but given the hype and the expectations we had for him, it's hard to label him anything else but a disappointment.

Basham and Gruler are also two good names of recent years.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Ahh, Brett Tomko. I was so mad when he ended up leaving. I thought for sure he was an ace. I remember thinkin, man, as soon as we get a good pitcher, we get rid of him.

Ohh, how wrong was I?

I never really cared much for Gruler, always had a gut feeling it wouldn't pan out. Not that I'm a scout or anything, just didnt want another HS pitcher at the time.

MLB ERA

The Golden Rule=

Never think a Jim Bowden pitcher will be an "ace."

You will likely be left with a deck of "two's."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

quick the shark repellent
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
    The Golden Rule=

Never think a Jim Bowden pitcher will be an "ace."

You will likely be left with a deck of "two's."
    I would be fine with 5 #2's! With JimBo insteads of an actual "A" he prefers his pitchers to be adept at travelling the AAA shuttle and visiting Doc Kremchek

AAA ERA

wow this is tough, i remember when Pokey was taken to be the heir apparent to Barry..

I have to go with Larson.. he hit what .350 in AAA, but then couldn't get over .200 here. between him and Willie Greene, I have always been scared of our 3rd base prospects.. since Sabo.

quick the shark repellent
    Rookie ERA

I'm going with the newly retired Milton Loo. He never really had that much promise but I liked his name

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Yeah, Pokey. I just about forgot all about him. I think he could have made it in the bigs if he had even a decent attitude.

MLB ERA

Mine goes back to the days when the Reds were the affiliate of the local Charleston Wheelers.

at shortstop...Rafael BUUUUUUUUUUUUSTAMANTE and like TCG I liked the name.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

I'd have to go with Scott Scudder and Mo Sanford.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I'd have to go with Scott Scudder and Mo Sanford.
    Roger Salkeld. He faced the indignity of hurting his finger trying to lay down a bunt. Lord, he sucked.

I have to go with Pokey Reese as my favorite Reds prospect. The name, the **** of the hat, and the fact that he was supposed to take over for Larkin who I didn't care for. What was not to love.

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Roger Salkeld. He faced the indignity of hurting his finger trying to lay down a bunt. Lord, he sucked.
    I remember him (not so) fondly. He definitely makes my top 5.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast