Thread: Rollercoaster proposes the question

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Rollercoaster proposes the question

With the constant losing coupled with the knowledge of this season still being young, at what point do we call it quits? I agree with those who think a firesale is not the answer even if we are 20 games out by June 10th. We still have a very young core to build around and a few real good prospects to help make that core more respectable.

But at what point do we say forget it and start concentrating on developing our young talent. Calling up Votto and Bailey, firing Narron so EdE and BP are guaranteed to play almost every day, trading away veterans so they do not take playing time from young talent and so we can use the trades in gathering more young talent in return. These are all major positives in defining the last straw.

Once we know it is over, might as well make a future for yourself and even give fans something to watch as they get excited to see the team's future stars develop through the game. Instead of watching them struggle early next season, call them up when we are out of it and let them find their path.

But when do we determine that we are out of it?

Minor Leaguer
    AA ERA

Re: Rollercoaster proposes the question

I think you start shopping the veterans on June 1st. When you get a good offer pull the trigger then call up guys like Votto and maybe Bailey. I say June 1st because after that the rookies' arbitration clock won't start until next year.

I am not a pessimist, but I don't think the Reds have a chance of contending this year. I thought the same way before the 1st game of the year. If we have an opportunity to trade guys like Hatteberg, Conine, Griffey, Milton (yeah right), Stanton, or Weathers in exchange for a real prospect then we should jump on it right away.

AAA ERA

I say more like July 1st, that gives you a month before the deadline.. if we are deep out of it by All star break, we need to unload Conine and Hatteberg, get a look at Votto and maybe force a Dunn to play 1B(at least I know I do) or even EdE to look a bit at 1B.

no doubt a firing of Narron is in order since he will want to play veterens.

not just Bailey, but I would get a look at all those arms that are playing well this year down there

The Reds are absolutely out of it. They need to commence overhauling the team right now or at the first chance they get to infuse the team with quality pitching from an organization that knows how to rear young arms.

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

I don't think Krivsky will declare a fire sale until the bitter end. It'll reflect poorly on him.

There's a lot of good on this team around which to build. IF we are indeed out of it by July, at least we'll be able to look forward to possibly seeing guys like Votto, Bruce, Cueto and Bailey. Nice to actually have some talent down on the farm.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.