Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball America Draft Tracker

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Baseball America Draft Tracker

I saw volzok's link and decided that it was a topic that could deserve it's own thread as we approach the draft. What should we target in the draft?

Personally, I think catcher Jeff Clement is looking mighty tempting. We could really use a big time catching spect like that. But I also wouldn't be upset with taking a solid arm either.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...fttracker.html

Code:
    1. Justin Upton, ss/of, Great Bridge HS, Chesapeake, Va.
    Diamondbacks will have a tough time passing on a player with Bo Jackson-quality tools

2. Alex Gordon, 3b, U. of Nebraska
    Impressive lefthanded power hitter has developed into a solid defender at hot corner

3. Luke Hochevar, rhp, U. of Tennessee
    Draft's best pitching prospect has led Vols to top spot in SEC with consistent plus stuff

4. Mike Pelfrey, rhp, Wichita State U.
    Six-foot-7 righty has the size, stuff, command and makeup to be a dominant big leaguer

5. Troy Tulowitzki, ss, Long Beach State U.
    Bobby Crosby's successor with 49ers has major league ready tools, including power

6. Cameron Maybin, of, T.C. Roberson HS, Asheville, N.C.
    Played for same Cincinnati summer team as Ken Griffey Jr., has similar tools at same age

7. Ryan Zimmerman, 3b, U. of Virginia
    Future Gold Glover has added power and is expected to move quickly to big leagues

8. Craig Hansen, rhp, St. John's U.
    With 96 mph fastball, 90 mph slider, could nation's premier closer be first to reach majors?

9. Ryan Braun, 3b, U. of Miami
    He's shaky defensively, but he has the hitting ability and raw power to move to the outfield

10. Jay Bruce, of, West Brook HS, Beaumont, Texas
    Unheralded at the start of the year, his five-tool potential has won over scouts

11. Jeff Clement, c, U. of Southern California
    Nation's all-time prep home run king has huge power and become a capable defender

12. Andrew McCutchen, of, Fort Meade (Fla.)
    Known more in the past for his blazing speed, he has added legitimate power this year

13. Wade Townsend, rhp, Dripping Springs, Texas
    Baltimore's unsigned first-round pick from 2004 has impressed scouts in workouts

14. Mark McCormick, rhp, Baylor U.
    Despite the best raw stuff in college baseball, he has yet to enjoy consistent success

15. Ricky Romero, lhp, Cal State Fullerton
    Top arm on nation's top college team has first-round stuff, unmatched competitive fire

16. C.J. Henry, of, Putnam City HS, Oklahoma City
    No player has moved farther or faster this spring than this multi-tooled, two-sport star

17. Cesar Carrillo, rhp, U. of Miami
    Quick-armed ace lacks physical stature and any blemishes on his undefeated college record

18. Chris Volstad, rhp, Palm Beach Gardens (Fla.) HS
    Six-foot-7 righty is the nation's top prep pitcher, even if he ranks only No. 18 on this list

19. Mark Pawelek, lhp, Springville (Utah) HS
    A rare high school lefty who has command of four pitches, including a mid-90s fastball

20. John Mayberry Jr., 1b, Stanford U.
    Unsigned 2002 first-rounder intrigues with power potential, baffles with performance (five homers)

21. Jacoby Ellsbury, of, Oregon State U.
    The catalyst at the top of the lineup that has carried Oregon State to its best season ever

22. Cliff Pennington, ss, Texas A&M U.
    Few get more out of their tools; he can run, throw, field and hit and he has unmatched instincts

23. Stephen Head, 1b, U. of Mississippi
    He hasn't had a great season playing in a two-way role, but scouts still like his bat, power

24. Brandon Snyder, c-ss, Westfield HS, Centreville, Va.
    Upton and this two-way standout are centerpieces of the richest draft crop in Virginia history

25. Trevor Crowe, of, U. of Arizona
    He wasn't a first-rounder until he put together the best offensive season in college baseball

26. Taylor Teagarden, c, U. of Texas
    Concerns about his bat, but there isn't a better defensive catcher or handler of pitchers

27. John Drennen, of, Rancho Bernardo HS, San Diego
    Rancho Bernardo's latest draft hotshot has legit power potential in his compact 5-foot-10 frame

28. Brian Bogusevic, of-lhp, Tulane U.
    Scouts are divided on whether this two-way star's upside is greater on mound or at plate

29. Matt Torra, rhp, U. of Massachusetts
    Few pitchers have impressed more than this 6-foot-5 righty, who wasn't on many early priority lists

30. Henry Sanchez, 1b, Mission Bay HS, San Diego
    Scouts are mixed on the overall worth of this 260-pound slugger, but he can put the ball in orbit

AAA ERA
    whens the draft? july 15?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    June 1st.

MLB ERA
    with the first pick, hopefully my D-Backs can get a good future prospect

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If the DBacks pass on Upton...I will be extremely surprised.

MLB ERA
    why is he good?

btw, i hope all my post are all ok

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Why do the Dbacks get the 1st pick instead of Seattle? An NL team had the 1st pick last year, so the AL team should have it this year.

The format changed after the 2004 season. I dunno why.

A guy from UMass on the Top 30? Woah.

Holy crap, the Sox have 5 picks in the Top 50, they haven't had 5 in the First Round (+Supplemental) in a few years COMBINED.

BTW, how did the Yankees get a real 1st rounder for a type B guy when the Cubs got a 3rd rounder for the same Type B player?

Wow, Mike Matheny was a type A guy and the Cards get a supplemental 1st rounder for him. Effing crazy.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    What number do the Reds get this year?

Pick #12 in R1

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    Why do the Dbacks get the 1st pick instead of Seattle? An NL team had the 1st pick last year, so the AL team should have it this year.

becasue they were the worst team last year

I agree we need a catcher but we don't need more power hitting, "adequate" defensive guys. If I were to set a philosophy for this team's drafting I'd go for good defensive, gap hitting, low strikeout, good speed guys. We need more Brady Clarks and less Rob Strattons.

Pitching would be different. First of all I'd tend to go for college guys (like Wagner was) and I would go for folks that can pop 90 MPH. The idea being that college pitchers have a less likely chance of being injured before being called up to the major leagues. This organization is clearly lacking power pitchers. I've rarely seen a Reds pitcher hit 94 on the gun all year. I can't think of a staff with more soft throwers than ours. I see middle relievers hitting 94 from all sorts of other major league teams.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    Pick #12 in R1
    Thanks Fish.

Then I would love to go after Clement like mission said. "Tremendous power" sounds good to me. I think we need to stay away from outfielders and go with pitchers as much as possible.

Here is how I look at it our depth. This is in order of our strengths:

Outfielders (Dunn, Kearns, Pena, Griffey, Stratton, Syzmanaski, Denorfia, Smitherman)
    - We have a big three and a good pinch hitter no matter how you look at it.

2B (Freel, Jiminez, Bergolla, Howard)
    - Bergolla is really looking good for a future spot, but Freel is still the best option

SS (F. Lopez, Aurilia, Olmedo, L. Lopez, Holbert, Janish)
    - Felo should have the future sealed up and Olmedo could come in to back him up.

3B (Randa, Encarnacion)
    - Randa is awesome for us now. EdE will be awesome for us for a long time after.

1B (Casey, Votto)
    - Casey is awesome for us now. Votto could be something when Casey is gone.

C (LaRue, Valentin, Sardinha, Peterson, Perez)
    - Not much here honestly. We could use something better.

SP (Milton, Harang, Wilson, Ortiz, Hudson, Claussen, Pauly, Gardner, Bailey, Ramirez, Belisle)
    - We definitely need more, but there are some bright spots on their way up.

RP (Wagner, Mercker, Coffey, Valentine,...)
    - Really could use a lot of help in this department.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast