Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball America Draft Tracker

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    I agree we need a catcher but we don't need more power hitting, "adequate" defensive guys. If I were to set a philosophy for this team's drafting I'd go for good defensive, gap hitting, low strikeout, good speed guys. We need more Brady Clarks and less Rob Strattons.

Pitching would be different. First of all I'd tend to go for college guys (like Wagner was) and I would go for folks that can pop 90 MPH. The idea being that college pitchers have a less likely chance of being injured before being called up to the major leagues. This organization is clearly lacking power pitchers. I've rarely seen a Reds pitcher hit 94 on the gun all year. I can't think of a staff with more soft throwers than ours. I see middle relievers hitting 94 from all sorts of other major league teams.
    I couldn't agree more about power pitching Sea Ray. We are so far away from having any its not funny at all. Good point about the need for contact hitters as well. We have all the power we need in the outfield right now.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    I agree we need a catcher but we don't need more power hitting, "adequate" defensive guys. If I were to set a philosophy for this team's drafting I'd go for good defensive, gap hitting, low strikeout, good speed guys. We need more Brady Clarks and less Rob Strattons.

Pitching would be different. First of all I'd tend to go for college guys (like Wagner was) and I would go for folks that can pop 90 MPH. The idea being that college pitchers have a less likely chance of being injured before being called up to the major leagues. This organization is clearly lacking power pitchers. I've rarely seen a Reds pitcher hit 94 on the gun all year. I can't think of a staff with more soft throwers than ours. I see middle relievers hitting 94 from all sorts of other major league teams.
    I agree we need to acquire players like you mentioned, but those aren't impact players on their own IMO. If we have a chance to gain a big hitter, I would go for it early on where the talent for that is high. Also, from what I recall Clement is considered to be a pretty balanced hitter (draws about equal walks and strikeouts, hit for contact.)

And college pitchers are the way to go, like Townsend for example. But the Reds go for high school pitchers due to them being much easier to sign (and cheaper.) Wagner was easier to sign just because he was a reliever versus a starter.

Good thoughts Ray.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I couldn't agree more about power pitching Sea Ray. We are so far away from having any its not funny at all. Good point about the need for contact hitters as well. We have all the power we need in the outfield right now.
    Hopefully when guys like Bergolla and Encarnacion are ready, they will bring a much needed high contact bats to the lineup. I do agree with Ray though that should be a concern. Last years draft was weak, I really hope this won't be even worse. I am affraid that Dan O might of spent his budget in the offseason, hopefully I am wrong. Put it this way though, we better draft our best option come our pick, not the cheapest best option.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Good call mission. Don't worry about cheap at this point. The Reds system is not good enough to try and make good moves on a budget. Go after the studs.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If he hangs around to our pick, I would love to pick him up. Check out his 2005 stats:

Code:
    Player                 AVG  GP-GS    AB   R   H  2B  3B  HR RBI   TB  SLG%  BB HBP  SO GDP   OB%  SF  SH  SB-ATT   PO   A   E  FLD%

24 Jeff Clement.....  .362  44-44   152  36  55  14   0  10  38   99  .651  36   8  27   0  .500   2   2   4-8    345  25   3  .992
    Really, if we don't go with a pitcher. Please draft this kid Dan O. We would finally have a legit future option at catcher. And at it looks like he is decent behind the plate as well.

AA ERA
    Here is an article from MLB.com. I thought I would post it here just for everyone to check out last year.

2004 amateur draftees: Where are they now?

Theres a kid for New Richmond, witch is south east of cincinnati, his name is David Duncan, he is a lefty he's 6'8" 190 lbs. Does any one know where he'll go. He pitches a fastball that hits 90-91 mph consistently. He also throws a split-finger fastball, changeup and curveball.

'05 IP 38, ER 2, H 12, K 75, W-L 6-0,ERA .37

first 3 years 31-4, 0.94 ERA 290 Ks

Bump
    Does any one know what the word on this kid is.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I have never heard of him man. But 91 mph is not what we need IMO. He looks dominating and could have good stuff, but I would not draft him high. I think we need that power pitching that we are lacking.

But do you know this guy personally Dunn44?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    After having a little thought, I believe we will end up with Townsend in the draft. Here is what I came up with. I ran the draft order up to the Reds selection and gave each team something that they need. Now I promise you it will not go this way because I do not know the depth of every team, but this is what I came up with .

Dbacks - Hochevar
    Royals – Upton
    Mariners – Pelfrey
    Nationals – Maybin
    Brewers – Gordon
    Blue Jays – Zimmerman
    Rockies – Hansen
    Drays – Tulowitzki
    Mets – Braun
    Tigers – Bruce
    Pirates – Clement
    Reds – Townsend

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    A few things I saw on Duncan from BA, nothing on where they project him though.

From April 27th:
    • New Richmond (Ohio) High senior lefty David Duncan was slated to pitch again Wednesday, concluding a strange, eight-day saga that saw him suspended, reinstated, re-suspended and reinstated for charges related to an underage consumption of alcohol citation. New Richmond Exempt Village School System superintendent Charles Moore reinstated Duncan at a hearing April 24 "based on the charges being dismissed," John Duncan, David's father said. "He is reinstated and that's the end of the subject."
    From April 21st:
    David Duncan had his draft status clouded after he was issued a citation for underage alcohol consumption March 28, an event that came out three weeks later in a newspaper report.

Duncan was temporarily suspended from the New Richmond (Ohio) High team, reinstated three days later, suspended again--this time for the remainder of the season--and again re-instated pending a hearing with Duncan's father, his attorney and on the school board.

Duncan's father John, who is also an assistant coach at New Richmond, said the school's principal, Dianna Spinnati, "did an investigation with the officer who (issued the citation) and decided to make her decision on that instead of what the county prosecutor and the judge had already ruled on."

Principal Spinnati did not return calls from Baseball America.

Duncan, a 6-foot-8, 190-pound lefthander, pitched March 20, picking up a win with 14 strikeouts, and awaited final ruling, which would be made at the hearing, scheduled for April 23.

"(The school's) decision was to go before the superintendent and everything should be clean and cleared by Saturday," John Duncan said. "If not, New Richmond's going to pay a dear price. If they know what’s best for them, he’ll be (reinstated)."

The matter was confusing for scouts trying to make travel plans to evaluate Duncan.

"The whole thing is real unfortunate," a National League scout said. "I've met with the kid a couple times. He seems like a real good kid with good parents. He relates well with people. It's just a shame."

Scouts in Ohio considered Duncan’s makeup a plus before the incident. He was having a strong season, showing a fastball that hits 90-91 mph consistently. He also throws a split-finger fastball, changeup and curveball.

He picked up his 300th career strikeout in his debut in early April, tossing a complete game no-hitter with 14 strikeouts on 91 pitches in a 5-0 victory over Bethel High of Tipp City, Ohio. He was 4-0, 0.00 with 52 strikeouts and four walks and eight hits in 26 innings spanning four appearances this season.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunn#44
    Theres a kid for New Richmond, witch is south east of cincinnati, his name is David Duncan, he is a lefty he's 6'8" 190 lbs. Does any one know where he'll go. He pitches a fastball that hits 90-91 mph consistently. He also throws a split-finger fastball, changeup and curveball.

'05 IP 38, ER 2, H 12, K 75, W-L 6-0,ERA .37

first 3 years 31-4, 0.94 ERA 290 Ks
    I really havent heard much about him other than that incident, but he does intrigue me. A tall lefty like that who can rack up the strikeouts is pretty sweet.

If anyone else see's anything on him, please post it. Yeah he is a high school pitcher and all but given that there isnt a ton of hype on him, I wouldnt mind snagging him later in the draft.

"He picked up his 300th career strikeout in his debut in early April, tossing a complete game no-hitter with 14 strikeouts on 91 pitches in a 5-0 victory over Bethel High of Tipp City, Ohio. He was 4-0, 0.00 with 52 strikeouts and four walks and eight hits in 26 innings spanning four appearances this season."

Wow. How does a high school kid accumulate 300 strike outs?

That sounds like a lot of innings and I don't know if I like hearing that a high school kid is throwing a split fingered fastball

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    He must either have incredible stuff, or he is in a High School division that has little talent. But he is good enough to be scouted it looks. So it may be the first option in that he might have very good stuff.

Sorry Dunn#44 on my first thoughts. I think it was a definite good find, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    But do you know this guy personally Dunn44?
    We went to the same high school and he is 2 years younger than me so i only talked to him a few times.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast