Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Coffey has lost zip on fastball

Coffey has lost zip on fastball
    Fall League stint has caused him to lose velocity

By John Fay
    Enquirer staff writer

PHILADELPHIA - The reports on Todd Coffey last season were that he threw 95 mph.

Coffey has not shown that kind of zip on his fastball so far this season with the Reds.

He's more in the 91-92 mph range.

"My velocity is off a little," he said. "I pitched in the Arizona Fall League. Everyone told me that when you throw in the Fall League, your velocity is down the next spring."

Coffey, 24, a right-hander, had a rough outing Friday night.

"I got two outs," he said. "Then there was a little intermission, and I got the third out."

Coffey gave up four runs on four hits in the intermission.

"After I gave up the first hit, I started pressing," he said. "I started getting too much of the plate."

Overall, Coffey is 1-0 with a 12.86 ERA. He has allowed 12 hits in seven innings.

"I've learned something each time out," he said.
    Click here for the rest of Reds notes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    So it is an Arizona Fall League thing? Well he better hope he gets it all back after the Spring is over then. anyone ever hear this from anyone else? Could it be true that the AFL can somehow tire your velocity?

AA ERA
    I havent heard anything like this redsrbetter. Unless he pitched way too many innings. But even then you would think he would be better when spring came along. Of course they said that Graves had a lot more zip on the fastball during ST and where has that gone? I guess its really hard to say.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    One thing I am concerned about is if Coffey is a pitcher who really didnt know how to pitch, he just had the heat and that was his bread and butter. Because the stuff I have seen from him is quite unimpressive (and a higher heater helps him to look more talented with the greater difference in speeds between his heater and breaking ball.)

MLB ERA
    Yeah, I don't think his stuff is that good. He needs to work with Gullett or someone on learning "how" to pitch, rather than just trying to get everyone out with his fastball.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I agree for sure. When you see him get in trouble he does still reach back for his fastball. And it really doesn't have a ton of great movement on it from what I see, I think he was just able to locate and overpower. But at 91 or 92, pretty big difference to 95 or 96.

AA ERA
    I agree totally. In the majors, you have to learn how to get guys out. You cant overpower like you can get away with in the minors.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    He is just getting killed up in the majors. He has to go back and find that 96-98 mph heater if he wants to get back to being a prospect worthy of a look. It is dissapointing to see that we may not have the Coffey that we all were in anticipation of.