Thread: Arroyo, better than many think?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Arroyo, better than many think?

In 2006, Bronson Arroyo was selected as the lone All-Star representative for the Cincinnati Reds. This was well deserved and appropriately earned. Arroyo had a 9-6 record with a 3.12 ERA in 19 starts by the time he traveled to Pittsburgh for the mid-season extravaganza.

Arroyo had performed well in his first half season as a National League pitcher as evidenced by the previous numbers. But many say that he fell off in the second half. Many feel that the All-Star game may have given too much attention to Arroyo and that opposing managers decided to scout his pitches a little more. Can we hold this with any kind of truth when we look at his second half numbers?

Arroyo posted a 5-5 record and a very respectable 3.50 ERA in the second half. His WHIP was slightly better in the second half as he gave up 22 less hits and issued the same amount of walks in 19 less innings. The numbers show that Arroyo remained consistent throughout the season. The only downfall to his game was the fact that he issued too many homeruns. But what Reds pitcher did not do the same?

I have to admit, I felt as though Arroyo wasn't pitching as well in the second half as well. But was it really the case? The numbers show that we do not have much to worry about when it comes to the 2nd man in the Reds rotation this year.

I was in fear of right handed hitters facing Arroyo this year as I figured many of the teams would be aware of that tight curveball he delivers on the inside corner on right handers. That ball can get hit hard if it is expected. But many are still fooled and it is still one of his best pitches. If teams start to figure out how to hit that breaking ball, we may start to see the numbers decline. But so far, Arroyo is seeing success and really has not declined in his game.

Do any of you fear Arroyo having a worse season this year? After viewing the numbers from last season, is it fair to say that he did not slump in the second half? Is their anything to worry about at all with Arroyo right now?

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    In 2006, Bronson Arroyo was selected as the lone All-Star representative for the Cincinnati Reds. This was well deserved and appropriately earned. Arroyo had a 9-6 record with a 3.12 ERA in 19 starts by the time he traveled to Pittsburgh for the mid-season extravaganza.

Arroyo had performed well in his first half season as a National League pitcher as evidenced by the previous numbers. But many say that he fell off in the second half. Many feel that the All-Star game may have given too much attention to Arroyo and that opposing managers decided to scout his pitches a little more. Can we hold this with any kind of truth when we look at his second half numbers?

Arroyo posted a 5-5 record and a very respectable 3.50 ERA in the second half. His WHIP was slightly better in the second half as he gave up 22 less hits and issued the same amount of walks in 19 less innings. The numbers show that Arroyo remained consistent throughout the season. The only downfall to his game was the fact that he issued too many homeruns. But what Reds pitcher did not do the same?

I have to admit, I felt as though Arroyo wasn't pitching as well in the second half as well. But was it really the case? The numbers show that we do not have much to worry about when it comes to the 2nd man in the Reds rotation this year.

I was in fear of right handed hitters facing Arroyo this year as I figured many of the teams would be aware of that tight curveball he delivers on the inside corner on right handers. That ball can get hit hard if it is expected. But many are still fooled and it is still one of his best pitches. If teams start to figure out how to hit that breaking ball, we may start to see the numbers decline. But so far, Arroyo is seeing success and really has not declined in his game.

Do any of you fear Arroyo having a worse season this year? After viewing the numbers from last season, is it fair to say that he did not slump in the second half? Is their anything to worry about at all with Arroyo right now?
    the only problem i have is what is bolded.. his decline started before the allstar break, he had atleast 3 or 4 not so good starts before the Allstar game, his ERA jumped almost an entire Run(if not an entire Run)

I think the 2nd half looked so bad because of how fantastic he started off, his April, May, and June were so unbelieveable that July, Aug, and Sept just paled in comparison.. I think he may end up having a more balanc3ed season.. I would expect him to pretty much pitch all of this season like he did the second half, so I expect his ERA to be around 4.00, somewhere between 3.95 and 4.15