Thread: Reds Notes: Casey trying to find his stroke

MLB ERA

Reds Notes: Casey trying to find his stroke

Casey trying to find his stroke

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

PHILADELPHIA | Sean Casey took in a movie Saturday afternoon, Will Ferrell's Kicking and Screaming, and his review was, "Terrible ... two-thumbs down, definitely two-thumbs down."

The movie title, though, fits the Cincinnati Reds first baseman these days. He is hitting .288, an average a majority of players would give their right ear to achieve.

Casey, though, is a .300 hitter and anything below that for him is underachieving.

What bothers him most these days, though, is that he leads the free world — and the unfree world — in grounding into double plays with 12.

"I wish I could hit heat-seeking line drives," he said. "Instead I hit leather-seeking ground balls. Sometimes hitting the ball hard is overrated.

"But my job is to hit the ball hard every time up, whether I go 0 for 4 or 4 for 4. Hit it hard," he added. He hits it hard and the 4-6-3s mount.

"And they keep making great plays on me ... the one (Philadelphia's) Placido Polanco made on me Thursday was unbelievable. And if they make a great play on me, they turn it because I'm not exactly Dave Roberts (San Diego's fleet leadoff hitter) running to first base," he said.

On Thursday, Casey outdid himself, hitting into two double plays.

"I'll turn it around," he said. "They can't keep turning it on me."

The glum feeling

Maybe it was because he was watching the St. Louis Cardinals come from behind to beat the New York Mets Saturday afternoon or maybe it was the memory of the 12-2 carnage ravaged on his team by the Philadelphia Phillies Friday night.

Whatever, Reds manager Dave Miley was not in a chatty mood before Saturday's game.

Asked about pitching rotation changes, with the disclaimer that it is tough to make changes when both your No. 1 (Paul Wilson) and your No. 2 (Eric Milton) are monumentally struggling, Miley smiled and nodded his head.

Asked about the fact his team had given up 10 or more hits in nine straight games, Miley smiled and nodded his head.

Yes, these are difficult times even for a personable, cooperative guy like Miley, who would have better luck with a Rubik's cube than figuring this out.

The Mann Report

Trainer Mark Mann's report on ailing players:

• Pitcher Josh Hancock (groin injury) pitched a simulated game in Sarasota Thursday and pitcher Luke Hudson (shoulder) is scheduled to throw a 60-pitch simulated game today.

"Right now, with both it is just a matter of stretching them out to throwing more pitches," said Mann.

• Wily Mo Pena (strained quadriceps) is doing daily treadmill and Swimex (running in a pool) work, "Doing what he can tolerate," said Mann. "He is doing well but he has to be able to sprint on the treadmill, which he hasn't done, before we can put him on the field for baseball activity."

• Pitcher Brandon Claussen, scratched from today's start with a sprained left ankle, had the tolerance work on the ankle increased Saturday and he will jog before today's game, "And how he does will determine when he can throw off a mound," Mann said.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AA ERA
    Good article. Casey will get it turned around. Hes a pro and he will get that average up. Also good to see that I dont have to waste my money on that Will Ferrell movie.