Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freel vs Deno vs Hamilton

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Freel vs Deno vs Hamilton

In your mind, who deserves the starting outfield spot. We all know Griffey and Dunn will be out there. But which of these three will get the third spot?

Freel has an argument as the teams best option for a leadoff hitter. He is a major spark plug who can get it done on both ends of the game. One of the most exciting players to watch in the game.

Denorfia would likely hit for the best avg. He was named best defensive outfielder in the league while playing in AAA in '05. Nothing flashy, but gets it done.

Hamilton is a monster of a specimen and is said to have the best outfield arm on the team. Is said to have great range and a great glove. Is said to have a tremendous power bat. Has shown he can hit and can have great patience at the plate going deep into counts. I haven't seen him yet, but he is doing a great job so far this spring.

So who, in your mind gets the spot? They are all great candidates and all have the ability to get it done. But who is your leading favorite?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Kearns.

oh wait...
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

AA ERA
    Personally, I don't think any of them will be full time. Especially with the way Narron likes to juggle things. But someone has to have the honor of starting there on opening day. So since someone has to be picked for that then I am sure it will be Freel. He deserves that recognition on opening day since the others are young. But I really don't see anyone winning that everyday spot in ST. But maybe someone may win it by May or June and force Narron's hand to play him at the same spot everyday.

AA ERA
    *wishes Freel could play Catcher* lol

My opinion is that somehow Freel/Hamilton need to be in every game. Freel is the leadoff guy that we need but i think Hamilton can get more hits for us so my vote would be Hamilton if he continues to stay hot in ST. Deno will start the year in AAA.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    Kearns.

oh wait...

Haha, now that is a guy I miss. I am pleasantly hoping that Hamilton will make me forget about Ears though.

MLB ERA
    Which one WILL take the spot or which one SHOULD?

Although things could change depending on Hamilton's hitting during the rest of ST (though looking too much into ST statistics is never good), I am thinking he could quite possibly "share" the final outfield spot with Freel (with Conine as the fifth outfielder and Denorfia banished (again) to Louisville).

Although I have been impressed with Hamilton thus far, unless he REALLY hits well during ST (maybe hits close to .400 or something), I would start him on the bench. I would dump Conine and let Griffey, Dunn, Freel, Denorfia and Hamilton be the five "potential" outfielders. In terms of a depth chart to begin the year: Dunn, Griffey (if in RF), Freel/Denorfia, Hamilton.

Of course we know Conine is guaranteed a spot because his "veteran presence."

Oh, and as many here know, I have been high on Denorfia ever since I saw him in person the first day he was called up last year after the big trade. I like his field vision and closing speed on defense and his arm, not to mention I think his bat can be at LEAST average if not a good bit better (in case anyone wanted any reasoning. We all know what Griffey, Dunn and Freel usually bring to the table and Hamilton is a potential/?? story).
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AAA ERA
    well, Hamilton no matter what we want to think about him, has not had enough experiance to warrent being the guy to get the starting spot.. Freel has the defense and can play lead off, but with that said we all know Freel can't play everyday.. i wish he couldn't but he can't.. and while I like Deno.. he hasn't shown me enough yet to think he is ever going to be anything other then a #4 OF.. so I do think that Hamilton should see some action, if he catches fire and plays up to his potential. we will be looking at Freel being the Odd man out again until KGjr gets hurt.. maybe slotting Freel in at 2nd on days to give Phillips a rest(or if Phillips doesn't live up to what he put up last year)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I asked this same question in an email I sent to Lance this morning. Hopefully he addresses it this afternoon. If you guys get the chance, listen in. I put a little strike3forums plug in the email.

Here is how I think it WILL go. Dunn at LF, Griffey CF, Freel/Conine RF. Conine should never be considered to play over Freel, Denorfia, or Hamilton. Any time you can put any of those three guys in, you do it before you consider Conine. But this is Narron's lineup. Then the fifth outfield spot is where the battle is right now. I think it is mostly between Denorfia, Hamilton, Crosby, and Hopper. Those guys are listed in order of having the best shot. Its too bad that Conine is considered an outfielder because we could probably take on two of those 4 guys listed. Now we are going to only see one of them. So, essentially it comes down to sticking with Denorfia and losing Hamilton all together, or giving Hamilton the shot.

I think with this scenario (which I believe to be accurate) Denorfia becomes expendable and could possibly be traded. For what? I am not sure, he will not command a big return, but I don't see a reason to have him waste away in the minors. And keeping Hamilton is smart on two accounts. First of all, he is awesome and hopefully he keeps it up. But the other thing is, if we do not keep him on the active roster, he becomes a Cub. So you almost have to keep Hamilton if he is playing like he is now.

AA ERA
    I kind of figured that Conine would pretty much just play 1B against LHP. Has Narron said exactly what his role will be and I missed it? I would be surpised to see him play much OF this season. But maybe that is just me.

One thing on Hamilton, if we release him, does he go back to the Cubs or the D-Rays. I figured he would go to TB b/c they are the one who had his rights that the Cubs selected. Why would he go back to the other team that took him? If you have a link to that redsrbetter I would appreciate it.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Not sure about this, but I figure Hamilton would just be fair game if he's released. I don't think he would be tied to one team but I might be wrong about that.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

AA ERA
    Well, I think he goes somewhere b/c he was selected in the Rule 5. I am just not sure where. I think the point may be useless though.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    You are right volzok, it is the D Rays.

Hamilton has to remain on the Reds' 25-man roster all season or be exposed to waivers. If another club doesn't claim him, he must be offered back for $25,000 to the Devil Rays, who have already said they'd gladly take him back.
    The Official Site of The Cincinnati Reds: News: Cincinnati Reds News

I had it wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.

And as for Conine, I just think that is thee direction Narron is pointing. I hate it, but I really believe it is where he is going.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    So if he does not remain on the roster, then anyone could claim him off waivers. So I doubt he even gets to go to TB because he would be picked up quick IMO.

BTW, Hamilton got on base both times he was at bat today. Single in the first and a walk in the 4th.

AA ERA
    Yeah, I think the point is useless b/c he will be on the Reds. I guess if it did happen, TB might claim him and hope no one that is above them does.

AAA ERA
    from what I see(ok at least from the Reds offical Website) Conine is listed as an Infielder.. now that means exactly nothing.. but at the same time we can figure that the IF spots on the 25 man would be

C
    Ross
    Valentin

IF
    Castro
    EdE
    Gonzo
    Hatteberg
    Phillips

OF
    Dunn
    Jr
    Freel
    Hamilton
    Deno

ok that is 12 guys there, with 1 more spot open for Conine in the IF.. for 13 position with 12 pitchers.. unless we want to carry 3 catchers again.. but the way I see it, i don't see how we are going to lose either deno or Hamilton just becasue Narron wants to play Conine in the OF.. i think his mentioning of playing Conine in the OF was before Hamilton came to town.. if Hamilton continues to impress there is no way we lose him. and at the same time I don't think we should give Deno away.. I mean really other than Conine.. what other position player is going to make the team out of ST.. unless you are talking a bout carrying 13 pitchers or something

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast