Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Josh Hamilton; Starting CF?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Josh Hamilton; Starting CF?

I was listening to the Reds radio network today (1530 Homer) and listened to Jerry Narron talk about Spring Training. Once the interview was over, Skinner talked about his mentions of Josh Hamilton working out in CF this spring. Do you guys think that Hamilton could cut it in CF and be the player "good enough" to move Griffey to RF?

Sounds to me like Hamilton has definitely got the makeup. Narron has repeatedly called him one of the absolute best talents baseball has ever seen. Can he reharness this talent and start in CF?

I believe that he will not be ready for that job come Opening Day. But it may be a work in progress and could function to be a very good situation for the Reds. What do you guys think?

MLB ERA
    From some stats I saw of his it looks like he didn't even play minor league ball from 2003 through 2005, and only had 50 minor league AB's last year. Assuming the stats I saw are correct. I don't follow the guy so I'm not really sure. I just remember a really old issue of Beckett I have with him on the cover. Hard to believe the guy isn't even 30 yet. Seems like he's been around forever but has never amounted to anything. I wouldn't expect much out of him, and you guys get anything then good for him and for you.

On a side note, it seems I share a birthday with him, except he is 2 years older than me.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

Would be nice, but I don't see it happening. You never know though, based off of what I have read Narron seems to have a Man-Crush on him, which typically turns into plenty of playing time, no matter how thy perform.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Molina00 View Post
    From some stats I saw of his it looks like he didn't even play minor league ball from 2003 through 2005, and only had 50 minor league AB's last year. Assuming the stats I saw are correct. I don't follow the guy so I'm not really sure. I just remember a really old issue of Beckett I have with him on the cover. Hard to believe the guy isn't even 30 yet. Seems like he's been around forever but has never amounted to anything. I wouldn't expect much out of him, and you guys get anything then good for him and for you.

On a side note, it seems I share a birthday with him, except he is 2 years older than me.
    read the backstory on him and you'll find out why.
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

MLB ERA
    Good makeup?

You are aware of what has gone up his nose, haven't you?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Absolutely, we are aware for sure. It will be a very interesting story if you see that his ability was far greater than any drug could disolve. It does takea lot of talent to come back from that, and from all indications, he does have that talent.

I agree, it is still a longshot but I am rooting for this guy.

MLB ERA
    Narron should move Griffey to right, unquestionably, whether or not Griffey wants it.

This move should not be done in order to free up the spot for Josh Hamilton. He was coked out for years, he hadn't played for years, he didn't perform well when he came back, and while some of that is attributable to rust, the fact is he's been shoving shit into his body for five years. That's going to take a big toll on the potential he once had.

Personally I think that if Hamilton plays any sort of role on the Reds club this year beyond "a guy we have to keep on the roster or else we lose him, so let's get him some at-bats in blowouts and as an occasional defensive replacement," then Narron has failed. Maybe in two years he'll be the centerfielder they want him to be.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    A lot of people will share the same feelings as you McKain. A part of me thinks you could be right on with this. Once again Reds fans are left with hope instead of being able to believe.

As far as the CF for the future goes, it would be nice as well, but Stubbs may be apart of that as well.

The thing I agree with you the most is that Griffey should be playing RF no matter what. If it is not Hamilton replacing him, Freel or Deno are ready to go.

AAA ERA
    if he is good enough to play CF and move Jr to RF, i will probably wet myself, because that means this team just got a hell of a lot better then I was expecting them to.. i however highly doubt that... I know he has untapped potential, but many players have been in that same spot in the past and never could make anything of it... the guy was no doubt a huge prospect, i remember when it was a choice between him and Josh Beckett for the the #1 pick.. that is pretty good company.. too bad we all know what happend.. i really don't expect him to produce much for us.. but he was what this team is built on.. low risk high reward guys.. its just that the odds are usually in favor of them being bums when you get guys like that

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    How ironic it would be, if one of the all-time greats and icons of baseball gets bumped out of his position by a guy who was maybe the most drugged-up player in baseball.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Castelinni likes this guy as well:

SARASOTA, Fla. - Reds CEO Bob Castellini made his first visit to camp Friday.

Castellini had made a side trip to the complex in January when he was in Sarasota for Vern Ruhle's funeral service.

During the January visit, Castellini got an idea why the Reds' front office was so happy to be able to select Josh Hamilton in the Rule 5 Draft and why he was worth the $50,000 investment.

"He was hitting the ball in the lake," Castellini said. "It was 60 mph off Johnny Narron, but ..."

The lake in question is behind the Reds' batting cage, which is behind the fence in right field on Field 4. It's a 500-foot poke - at least.

"Then he was throwing the ball from the 401-foot mark to home plate. The guy has unbelievable talent," Castellini said.

The question is how Hamilton will do against major-league pitching for really the first time and after basically a three-year layoff from baseball because of drug suspensions and injuries.

It should be noted that Hamilton hit one out to left-center off Brian Shackelford during live batting practice.

But, back to Castellini. He was upbeat as usual.

"You feel the confidence," he said. "The team chemistry is good. They discovered last year that they could contend. The team exudes the feeling that they can do it."
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...702240375/1071

500 foot blasts off of some dude named Johnny Narron's 60 mph heater? Maybe it is just me, but isn't the harder stuff easier to launch? Either way, Hamilton has some mega power.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    500 foot blasts off of anything are enough to get people's attention, not to mention a gun like that in the outfield. It'll be interesting to see how he does in spring training and if he can make the team...even though he's had an awful history, it would certainly intrigue me to see what he can do if he gets a shot. I'm rooting for him.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

AAA ERA
    really like the way it sounds.. I still don't want to invest too much hope in the guy yet.. but he is a guy who keeps making me feel better and better about this team as we near March

For some reason when I think of how Hamilton will do this season, I think about Jose Guillen, and what he did in '03 for us. I think they are similar players, players with all the potential in the world, and for some reason they haven't put it all together. Guillen was the big bat in our lineup for half a season and we acquired Harang in mid-season trade. I know we acquired them differently and Guillen wasn't out of baseball for 3 season, but I think Hamilton could surprise some people, like Guillen did. And I hope he does. I Don't think it will be this season but if he can survive camp and stay on the 25 man roster all season, he could pay hugh dividens next season.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunn#44 View Post
    For some reason when I think of how Hamilton will do this season, I think about Jose Guillen, and what he did in '03 for us. I think they are similar players, players with all the potential in the world, and for some reason they haven't put it all together. Guillen was the big bat in our lineup for half a season and we acquired Harang in mid-season trade. I know we acquired them differently and Guillen wasn't out of baseball for 3 season, but I think Hamilton could surprise some people, like Guillen did. And I hope he does. I Don't think it will be this season but if he can survive camp and stay on the 25 man roster all season, he could pay hugh dividens next season.
    well another huge difference is that Guillen had been playing in the Majors for a long while before we got him. Hamilton hasn't even made his MLB debut

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast