Thread: Something Even The Dunn Haters Will Have To Like

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Something Even The Dunn Haters Will Have To Like

Dunn debate

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Adam Dunn's here and have at it.

Dunn looks noticably leaner, he said he's done more running and eating much better. New hitting coach Brook Jacoby visited him for about a month ago in Houston.

Dunn said he just wants to forget last season, when he 40 home runs, drove in 92 runs and scored 99 runs. He also hit .234, struck out a major league high 194 times and committed 13 errors.

"I’m trying ot get that out of my head, first of all," Dunn said. "I spent all offseason thinking about how hard the last two months of the season were for me; I was terrible. I don’t want that to happen to me again."

Reds manager Jerry Narron said he's very impressed by what he's seen of Dunn so far.

"I love that he's here early and he's in great shape," Narron said. "Just talking to him, I love what he says about defense and being the best leftfielder he can be."

Narron said there's no plans on playing Dunn at first base.

Dunn said he's looking to concentrate on defense this spring.

"That’s something I’ve probably taken a little too lightly in the past," Dunn said. "That’s going to be my main focus this spring, not to be a good one, but a great one. And I think I can."

Let the Dunn bashing comments begin...
    Per Trent's Blog

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    A few thoughts here... if Dunn can finally have a breakout year, our chances get a whole lot better. He's in better shape, which is a must if he is serious on improving his defense like he mentioned and he is just seeking to improve any and everything. And yes, he has had some impressive numbers, but with his power and OBP potential, combined with his ability to hit for contact at points... he could be in the top 10 MVP voting when it all syncs in together. I am glad Jacoby has already met with him as I think their chemistry could be a difference maker as well.

MLB ERA
    did he quit smoking?
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Well this is good news, and to be honest a little unexpected to me. I thought he was content with slipping deeper and deeper into his nitch, but its nice to see he wants to improve himself.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    haha, I was just about to post this.

Well, this is definitely a big start. I can't wait to see the pictures of his new look. Hopefully it is noticeable and not just media fodder. I agree that Jacoby could be a big influence, but so was Chambliss. I said it all last year, someone needed to put a boot in Dunn's rear end. Looks to me like he is putting his own boot in his own butt. This is a good thing, and a great start with the right attitude to begin the season.

BTW, I never knew he smoked.

MLB ERA
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    WOW! Looks as if he has lost a ton of weight. Is that Hamilton with him? Dude looks like he is only an inch shorter than Dunn.

My thought on Dunn just losing everything the last two months (as he admitted), is because Kearns got traded. Maybe he is over that now, but it definitely effected him more than he cared to explain. Smart for PR reasons to keep it quiet, but do you guys think it had much to do with it?

Sexy.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

AAA ERA
    every year I get my hopes up that he will finally put it together and hit for better contact and K less.. but it hasn't happend.. if we can get say .280 out of him with his usual 40 HR's.. we could also be looking at much more improved RBI total.. and with the loss of weight he may have more range in Left and that will be huge as well.. I have always chalked myself up in the Dunn basher category.. so yeah.. this does make me feel a bit better

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    A little on-topic non useful information;

I was playing MLB 2K6 last night on the 360 and Dunn was stellar in the outfield for me. I have never had such a huge defensive game using a LF as I did last night. Dunn made a diving stab in the 3rd inning. Then robbed a HR off Todd Helton in the 5th. Later that same inning, I made a diving catch with him that made Freel's real life endeavor look preschool.

Boy, do I ever wish we had the courage to say Dunn would play this way. Yet it gave me some encouragement enough to feel it could be closer to the real thing if he truly wants to become "great in the outfield."