Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O'Brien on lineups: "That is his(Miley's) job and not part of mine"

MLB ERA

O'Brien on lineups: "That is his(Miley's) job and not part of mine"

Cincinnati puts Aurilia on DL, calls up pitcher

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | Brandon Claussen, wearing a protective boot on his left ankle, limped around in the Reds clubhouse Wednesday morning. Infielder Rich Aurilia walked with no limp.

Guess which one landed on the disabled list?

If you said, "Aurilia," you know the meaning of the term, "taking one for the team."

Aurilia, though, isn't pleased with the move. He left Tuesday's game in the second inning with what was termed a mild hamstring strain. An MRI early Wednesday, in the words of Aurilia, "Showed nothing out of the ordinary, a slight strain, no tear, no fraying.

"I was on my way to the park before the doctor saw me when I heard I was on the DL," he said. "I'm a little sore, but I thought they might wait or a while and see how I am."

To replace Aurilia, the Reds called up right-handed pitcher Elizardo Ramirez from Class AAA Louisville. That's in case Claussen can't make his start Sunday in Philadelphia and gives the team another arm in the bullpen.

"I'm a little sore, but all systems are go, my friend," said Claussen, who sprained his left ankle when he fell trying to dodge a line drive Tuesday. "I'm being optimistic, but we'll know for sure in a couple of days."

The line drive hit by San Diego's Ramon Hernandez struck Claussen on the left shoulder, "But it was coming right at my face, right at my nose, which is a very big target."

Hearing that, fellow pitcher Kent Mercker said, "If it had hit that nose it would have taken two months to heal. I can say that because I have a big nose."

Ramirez report

The plan for Ramirez is to work in the bullpen for a couple of days, then possibly start Sunday.

"Ramirez was supposed to start (Wednesday) for Louisville," manager Dave Miley said of the 22-year-old Dominican acquired from Philadelphia last August in a minor-league deal.

"We use our bullpen a lot and he gives us another arm. I like the kid and everybody in our organization does," Miley added. "He is composed on the mound, doesn't let anything bother him. If somebody makes an error, he just climbs back on the mound and does his job."

Ramirez was 2-1 with a 3.32 earned-run average at Louisville and was International League Pitcher of the Week in early April.

Ramirez made his Reds debut Wednesday in relief and gave up two runs and two hits over two innings.

Weathers rests

Looking at a board he keeps in his office, Miley said before Wednesday's game that David Weathers wouldn't be used out of the bullpen, he'd get a day of rest.

Jut moments before, somebody asked Weathers if he was ready to pitch a couple of innings and he said, "Of course. That's what I get paid to do."

Said Miley, "He and Kent Mercker are the same way. They say they can pitch every day. Sometimes you have to take the candy away from the baby."

The lineup card

For those who wonder, Miley's signature on the lineup card means what it means — it is his lineup with no orders or advice from upper management.

"That is Dave Miley's domain and it would be disrespectful of me toward him to interfere," general manager Dan O'Brien said. "That is his job and not part of mine."

Pena staying home

The Reds pack their road troubles in their travel bags and open a seven-game trip tonight in Philadelphia, where they play four before starting a three-game series in New York on Monday.

The Reds are 3-11 on the road.

Outfielder Wily Mo Pena, eligible to come off the disabled list Wednesday, the last game on the trip, will remain in Cincinnati.

"I'm staying here to work every day (on his strained left quadriceps) and hope to be ready when they come home," said Pena. "I'd rather go on the trip. They make me get up too early in the morning to come for my workouts."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Do you guys believe DanO here? I think we may have to since he put it on the record. So Miley is to blame for the entire mess. Screw Miley!

Great job by Hal to get this information out. It is good to see that he knows what the fans are looking for.

MLB ERA
    I think my e-mail exchanges with Hal about what was being said on message boards and such about the lineup situation made him go to O'Brien directly about it, lol.

Anyway, I don't know if I buy what O'Brien's saying. There seems to be a lot of conflicting comments/statements/actions coming from the organization.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    I cannot believe that Miley would continue to run Aurilia out there after the team basically said "this kid (Lopez) is our future" and benched the still well liked and one of the leaders of this team in Larkin for the last month or so of the season.

So I am among the ones who don't buy Front Office had nothing to do with Aurilia.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Do you guys believe DanO here? I think we may have to since he put it on the record. So Miley is to blame for the entire mess. Screw Miley!

Great job by Hal to get this information out. It is good to see that he knows what the fans are looking for.
    Theres someone else in this equation that seems to be flying under the radar as the "forgotten man," could John Allen have anything to do with this? Its well documented how opposed to giving Larkin that big contract or even the 1 yr "farewell tour." Could he be getting into Miley's ear saying, "I hold on to O'Briens chain to keep him from canning you and I got the ear of the owner you play Aurilia or your done with this franchise like Larkin" just to stick it to Larkin? Just thought I would float the trial balloon and see what everyone else thought.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    With Allen, I don't doubt anything. I think his powers stretch much further than what is documented.

MLB ERA
    I don't doubt anything either. I might have to inquire to Hal about that, since he was legitimately interested in the lineup situation when I discussed it with him:

"The lineup card

For those who wonder",---

That has to be directed at those on message boards, talk shows and the like after some of the discussion I had with him about so many thinking O'Brien was controlling things (on message boards, etc., lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    I cannot believe that Miley would continue to run Aurilia out there after the team basically said "this kid (Lopez) is our future" and benched the still well liked and one of the leaders of this team in Larkin for the last month or so of the season.

So I am among the ones who don't buy Front Office had nothing to do with Aurilia.
    It seems to me that Miley knows he is doomed by season end, as far as job security goes, and has opted to take the "who gives a damn, I'll show'em!" approach. If you knew that you weren't wanted as Manager by your GM, would YOU put 100% effort into the job? I'm not sure I would.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I would put in 100%. That way they could not come up with anything concrete as to how I deserve to be fired. It would have to be something made up, or an excuse.

AAA ERA
    something that makes me wonder, well crowded OF: we were basically waiting for a guy to go down, when Pena got a minor injury, they put him on the DL

now we have a crowded MIF: Aurilia gets and injury he goes on the DL(not complaining here)

if I am not mistaken it is the GM who sets the 25 man roster right... judging by this article Aurilia felt like he wasn't hurt bad enough to be put on the DL, yet he went on it.. I think that would be evidence that DanO didn't want to see Aurilia in the lineup anymore, and could very well mean he is telling the truth about Aurilia being Miley's boy

MLB ERA
    That's possible, but I don't think so.

Anyway, it's not just O'Brien who decides who goes on the DL. The team physicians, manager, GM and everyone talks about that.

teams often use the DL as a way to sit cold players and get them to the minors for rehab stints without optioning them (see austin kearns last year). I think rich's comments make it clear that this is what's going on here. The team jumped at the chance to get him out and back on track (yeah right) in the minors.

The John Allen i dea is interesting, but i think Miley and DanO in the end. They have shown preference for players with major league experience time and time again, in spite of obvious talent. The pitching has been terrible on this team, but we could have easily one a few more games (maybe 16-17 right now with 4 more wins) if they had played freel and lopez from the beginning and had a better batting order.

I think miley wants to get rich back in the lineup but after he figures out what's wrong and gets back to his 2001 form. Problem is, that ain't gonna happen.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    teams often use the DL as a way to sit cold players and get them to the minors for rehab stints without optioning them (see austin kearns last year). I think rich's comments make it clear that this is what's going on here. The team jumped at the chance to get him out and back on track (yeah right) in the minors.

The John Allen i dea is interesting, but i think Miley and DanO in the end. They have shown preference for players with major league experience time and time again, in spite of obvious talent. The pitching has been terrible on this team, but we could have easily one a few more games (maybe 16-17 right now with 4 more wins) if they had played freel and lopez from the beginning and had a better batting order.

I think miley wants to get rich back in the lineup but after he figures out what's wrong and gets back to his 2001 form. Problem is, that ain't gonna happen.
    which is why i am still hoping when he comes back there will be no room for him with our MI of the future in place in FeLo and Freel

man i can't believe how big of a FeLo fan I am now, when we first got him and i saw him throw the ball into the dugout on a few occasions, i hated him, i liked Ray Olemedo more than FeLo, but now I want FeLo to be the heir aparent to Larkin

MLB ERA
    The big thing for me that makes me think many of the bad decision are not Miley's fault is that he compiled a .568 winning percentage in the minor leagues. The minors are the minors, but he obviously did something right. Now, I do think he has had some goofy lineups and such from time to time, but O'Brien gets the biggest amount of blame for the team's mess right now.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    The big thing for me that makes me think many of the bad decision are not Miley's fault is that he compiled a .568 winning percentage in the minor leagues. The minors are the minors, but he obviously did something right. Now, I do think he has had some goofy lineups and such from time to time, but O'Brien gets the biggest amount of blame for the team's mess right now.
    well my thinking is that last season and the minors have one thing in common, in that you have very little to work with.. last year he came in with no expectations, and he did great for the start of the season, this year we came in as an Improved team, thereby more expectations, and he is just making bad decisions.

my examples are.

FeLo goes 3/4 in St Louis and then gets benched for 3 games.
    Kearns hits a HR in back to back starts and gets Benched for 2 games.

Aurilia goes 0/6 in a game then bats in the 2 Hole.

Weathers and Weber had at the time been playing horrible Wagner was playing lights out, he brings in Wagner first then Weathers and Weber later and they blow it.

It took how long to get Freel into the lineup everyday at the leadoff spot.. DJ has batted in the leadoff spot how many times this year..

the list goes on and on.. I mean say what you want about maybe feeling preasure to get Aurilia in the lineup up. but someone has to be held responsible for all these things..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast