Thread: Risp

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Risp

After last night's pathetic strikeout of Aurilia, I decided to look at team stats.

Rich Aurilia has the MOST AB's with runners in scoring position on the team (among the top for TPA, but due to his missing batting eye, only two walks factor in extra from his AB's.)

In 30 AB's with runners in scoring position he has posted:
    .167 BAA, .188 OBP, .233 SLG, and a .421 OPS

As bad as that is (again proving that Aurilia brings nothing but a solid throw to 1B) I saw this split:

Code:
    NAME	G	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	TB	RBI	BB	SO	SB	CS	BA	OBP	SLG	OPS
    Reds 	29	254	98	58	13	0	8	95	90	48	61	4	2	.228	.355	.374	.729
    Opponents  30	296	105	85	17	2	15	151	125	32	45	3	1	.287	.351	.510	.861
    Yeah, we're taking walks when we need to but jeez, for a team built on power to have an SLG% that low is just sad. And it shows how poorly constructed these lineups have been.

First, i'm not sure how the opponents have played more games than we have.

that aside, i don't think our problems with risp have much to do with power, just hitting in general.

slugging takes into account both bases per hit (power) and hits per ab (batting average).

with risp, opponents have a .510 slugging average against us, which with their batting average comes out to 1.77 bases per hit. The reds slugging with risp is .374, which is terrible, but still comes out to 1.55 bases per hit. Low, for sure, but not that much lower than opponents.

Look at it this way, if we were averaging 1.77 bases per hit, our slugging with risp would still only be .403, and that is still terrible. The larger problem is that no one gets hits in general.

If we could muster the .287 batting average that our opponents have, at 1.55 bases per hit, we'd be slugging .445, which is bad but considerably better.

I agree that the low power numbers are no good, and illustrate many of the problems the lineups have produced. But as for risp situations i think the larger problem is people like aurilia and larue striking out every time up to the plate. Do you have any stats on how many times we've k'd with risp?
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Wally, I realize the lack of hits are a big problem. But I wasnt really surprised by it (disappointed yes, I thought it would of been at least .240-.250) but the lack of power was just very surprising to me considering the makeup of this team.

And I believe the strikeout total is 61 for those 254 AB's.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    Wally, I realize the lack of hits are a big problem. But I wasnt really surprised by it (disappointed yes, I thought it would of been at least .240-.250) but the lack of power was just very surprising to me considering the makeup of this team.

And I believe the strikeout total is 61 for those 254 AB's.
    that still doesn't answer how our opponets have played one more game then we have

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I didn't make the stats, ESPN did. Ask them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/...ype=2&type=reg

that's actually lower than i thought it would be. It's a little better than our overall team pace of 1 out of 4 ABs, but it seems like it happens all the time when i'm watching.

This team is so embarassing to watch. We can't even just loose, we have to loose in the most humiliating fashion, giving up the most HR's and and striking out the most.

the reds k more than 8 times a game.

It must be sweet to watch a team that whifs less than 5, of which there are several.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I will NOT watch tonight's game. You guys take a look at the lineup and you will see why. Its crazy!

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I will NOT watch tonight's game. You guys take a look at the lineup and you will see why. Its crazy!
    yeah i just saw it, and made a post about it, this was just pissing me off, now i am at a complete loss for words