Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chad Moeller signed

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Chad Moeller signed

per Marc's Blog:

I thought Wayne Krivsky seemed a bit evasive when we asked him last week about Ross and Valentin serving as the only catchers following the LaRue trade. Lo and behold, the Reds have signed veteran backstop Chad Moeller, who spent last year in the Brewers organization, to a one-year contract. Not sure what this means in the grand scheme just yet, as Moeller appeared in just 31 big-league games last year, but I'm sure it's all part of the master plan.
    I would have to believe that Ross is going to be traded now. Anyone with news on how much this guy costs us, please let us know. Either way, I am not excited about this one at all.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    per Marc's Blog again:

Talked to Wayne Krivsky and he said he considers catcher a "shared position" on most teams -- those that don't have a Pudge Rodriguez, etc. It's definitely possible Ross or Valentin might be headed elsewhere in a trade sometime this winter, but this could also be the Reds' way of shoring up a troublesome position.

"You need depth," said Krivsky. "You need a team. You need guys with roles. You just can’t go with two catchers – you’d better have depth there. If someone gets hurt, a foul tip, you’re out there scrambling. You’d better have some depth at that position. That’s what we’re doing here."

And Moeller's .184 average in 29 games with the Brewers last year?

"He’s better than that," said Krivsky.
    Sounds like he will be with the MLB roster.

MLB ERA
    I have no problem with this signing, maybe see if we can't find another Benito Santiago among aging catchers for 1 good year. I dunno if this is smoke signals saying a trade is emminent because how was Valentin used farely often off the bench? As a pinch hitter in big spots. If Valentin's the only other catcher on the roster then we couldnt really use him in those spots because what happens if Ross were to get hurt or something? Having the extra "catcher" would allow the Reds to use one of our better pinch hitters when needed and not have to worry about if Freel would have to dawn the chest protector.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I see what you are saying man. Some are going to go crazy on your admittance to Valentin's ability to pinch hit. But I agree with you, he has pop off the bench, especially on the first pitch. But anyhow, I still don't want Narron to have the ability to play this guy on any case other than an emergency.

Besides that, this is another sub-.300 career OBP player. Yet another automatic out to go with Gonzalez and the pitcher when he plays. Not good, not good at all.

MLB ERA
    Moeller is an absolutely terrible catcher and if Krivsky thinks this gives them any more depth than a random 27 year old scrub AAA catcher, he is insane.

MLB ERA
    Corky Miller not good enough?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Or his brother from a Venezuelan mother, Miguel Perez?

I posted my thoughts on the other thread about this, but this is more from WK of what is now becoming his usual moves. Old pitchers of minimal talent, "scrappy" players, defense and a total disregard for anything of offensive upside. Moeller lacks all of this.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I see what you are saying man. Some are going to go crazy on your admittance to Valentin's ability to pinch hit. But I agree with you, he has pop off the bench, especially on the first pitch. But anyhow, I still don't want Narron to have the ability to play this guy on any case other than an emergency.

Besides that, this is another sub-.300 career OBP player. Yet another automatic out to go with Gonzalez and the pitcher when he plays. Not good, not good at all.
    Like I said about Crosby, he isnt guarenteed to make the team in ST. He could just be AAA filler and holy heck breaks loose he gets a chance. No different than him signing DeWayne Wise, Alex Sanchez, or anyone of about 5 guys last year.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    Or his brother from a Venezuelan mother, Miguel Perez?

I posted my thoughts on the other thread about this, but this is more from WK of what is now becoming his usual moves. Old pitchers of minimal talent, "scrappy" players, defense and a total disregard for anything of offensive upside. Moeller lacks all of this.
    Plus you got to have someone who can catch for those dreaded split squad days . My bet is AAA filler at worst.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

MLB ERA
    I just hope these boring and pointless moves don't give the team an excuse to not add some talent, whether that be FA or through trades.

I can't get too excited about moves like this one way or the other, but I just don't see the point of them.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Look at the Delluci signing today, a man who signed for less than the pathetic Alex Gonzalez and would of helped to restore the offense a bit closer to actually being competitive.... did anyone here the Reds even being remotely interested? We will make some half-assed trade in which we will be robbed blindly, filling one hole while opening up several new ones that we attempt to fill with poor signings. I have no hope at all.

There is a good chance that Ross will be moved in some deal, and this signing here just makes me wonder why we just didn't keep LaRue (an above average defensive catcher who is almost guaraneteed to improve) instead of what we will be seeing next year. I mean we're paying a substantial amount of cash with LaRue last I heard and I doubt the prospect is anything, so that move just really baffles me if this is the solution (as we keep ignoring our catcher depth problem in the draft like I've wanted addressed for three drafts now.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep and not to mention how much money is going to Moeller in the signing. Likely the league minimum (well hopefully) but that puts the LaRue deal at a $1.5 million savings. Whoopdee freakin doo. That won't help you at all.

Great times.

AAA ERA
    ok, I think the difference between LaRue and Moeller is Contract.. we won't feel Contractually obligated to play Moeller like we were LaRue... BUt i do say, if we do Move Ross say to get Bonderman.. holy shit do we have a serious hole at catcher.. as far as needing depth at catcher.. WTF.. thats how you give your minor league guys a shot when an injury occurrs.. Draft some catchers.. pick up young guys.. not guys like this who really has nothing to offer us.. you want depth, thats fine if it was really major league talent.. I mean could Miguel Perez really play at the MLB level worse than Moeller

MLB ERA
    Do we know who we are getting for LaRue yet?

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    Do we know who we are getting for LaRue yet?
    I havent heard anything yet. I really hope its David Dejesus but i am highly doubt that it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast