Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Hudson trying to stay patient

Hudson trying to stay patient
    Reds insider

By John Fay
    Enquirer staff writer

Luke Hudson feels the Reds' pain from 1,000 miles south.

Hudson is in his third month of what is beginning to seem like an endless rehabilitation.

"It's frustrating," Hudson said from Sarasota, Fla., "watching the games on TV. The team is struggling. Being down here and not being able to do anything is tough."

Hudson, a 28-year-old right-hander, felt great Friday in a five-minute bullpen session. But he has no idea when he'll begin a minor-league rehab assignment - much less when he'll be pitching for the Reds.

"It's been a lot longer than I thought already," he said.

Hudson was the Reds' best starter after joining the club in August. He went 4-2 with a 2.42 ERA in nine starts. Hudson's ERA was the third-lowest in the majors for any pitcher with five or more starts.

After years of tantalizing scouts and player development people with his stuff, Hudson finally had put it together.

But his shoulder tightened in an outing against the Boston Red Sox on March 5.

The outing turned out to be his only one of the spring.

Hudson had shoulder surgery April 11, 2003, and missed all of the 2003 season. His success last year was the culmination of a long rehab effort.

So the Reds were cautious with him. He went two weeks without picking up a ball and then was put on a throwing program aimed at building his strength gradually.

Hudson admits he wanted to go faster than the program allowed.

"I wanted to shave some time off the throwing program," he said. "But then I had a setback. It's been frustrating, to say the least."

The setback, which happened last week, was minor, with just some tightness and pain.

"But when I threw live batting practice (Friday), it went really well," he said. "No pain. I felt strong."
    Click here for the rest of the Reds Insider

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Come Hudson get back here soon. Man I hope he is back by June.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Same here. I just hope they take their time with him, I doubt his already battered arm from previous surgeries could take much more. So I hope he is back soon, but just when they are certain he has his health.