Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Freel's style irritates Kent

Freel's style irritates Kent
    Players quibble about intensity

By Kevin Kelly
    Enquirer staff writer

Since joining the Reds in 2003, utilityman Ryan Freel has become a fan favorite with his gritty, all-out style of play.

That style, however, rubbed one opposing player the wrong way Saturday.

Freel and veteran Jeff Kent, the Dodgers' second baseman, exchanged words after Freel slid hard into second base to break up a potential double play in the seventh inning.

"If I can do it again, then I'll do it again," Freel said after the game. "If he's in the way and it's my job to take him out, then I'll take him out.

"I'm not going to sit there and pull up because he's telling me that's something he doesn't approve of."

Kent, a four-time All-Star and former National League Most Valuable Player, responded to Freel's comments and the play in general when asked by a Los Angeles Daily News reporter.

"I just told him to keep his spikes down," Kent said. "If he doesn't respect playing up the middle, I guess he doesn't want to play there anymore."

Freel has made nine starts at second base this season, one shy of his 2004 season total at the position.
    Click here for the rest of Reds notes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yeah go Freel! I cannot believ Kent's comments. Is he scared? Play baseball stupid! Its part of the game and part of the way you are going to have to play your position. BTW, Freel may eventually be a better overall talent then you, so I suggest you close your unworthy mouth. Don't talk about this team and how Freel should not play 2B if he doesn't respect it. I hope Freel spikes him today!

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    While I agree that Kent is a baby, Freel is not and won't be a better overall talent than Jeff Kent. I can safely say that Freel will never win a MVP, nor will he ever even contend for a MVP. Having said all of that....I also hope that Freel spikes him again today.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Well, I have to be very biased on my thought there, but Kent still has no room to say that Freel shouldn't play. But you are right, Kent is the better player.