Thread: Reds interested in Marcus Giles?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Reds interested in Marcus Giles?

The emergence of Padres rookie second baseman Josh Barfield last season seemingly ended the chances of Marcus Giles joining his older brother, Brian, in San Diego.

Not so fast.
    The Padres, one of several clubs talking with the Braves about Marcus, would move him from second to third base, FOXSports.com has learned.

Marcus, 28, would gladly make the switch to become teammates with Brian, 35, for the first time, a source close to the brothers said.

The Braves, seeking an eighth-inning bridge to closer Bob Wickman, likely are interested in Padres right-handed reliever Scott Linebrink, whom they tried to acquire last summer.
    The Indians are another possible suitor for Marcus. The Reds could acquire him and move second baseman Brandon Phillips to shortstop. The Cardinals and Giants are among the other clubs with openings at second.

The problem with obtaining Marcus Giles, especially for budget-minded teams such as the Indians and Reds, is that he's becoming less productive and more expensive.
    Marcus Giles struggled when the Braves made him their leadoff hitter last season. Yet, his salary could rise from $3.85 million to the $5.5 million range in his final year of arbitration. And, after next season, he will be a free agent.

The Braves could always decline to offer Giles a contract, but then the team would receive nothing in return. A trade makes more sense, and the Padres represent a logical fit.
    Among the Padres' other possibilities at third, free agent Aramis Ramirez might be too expensive, Japanese third baseman Akinori Iwamura could go to a higher bidder and the White Sox's Joe Crede and the Astros' Morgan Ensberg might be out of reach in trades.
    The Braves pursued Linebrink in a proposed deal for third baseman Wilson Betemit last summer. The Padres balked, preferring to keep their bullpen intact, and the Braves traded Betemit to the Dodgers for reliever Danys Baez and infielder Willy Aybar.
    If the Braves traded Marcus Giles, Martin Prado, 23, would be one internal option at second. Shortstop Yunel Escobar, who has yet to play above Class AA, might be even more intriguing; he's showing significant offensive progress in the Arizona Fall League.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6139030

Man I would love to have Marcus Giles play for the Reds. I was just thinking about he and his brother Brian last night and thought that they would be excellent guys to have on this team. I would be extremely pleased to have Marcus on on the Reds.

But to have him for one season would be a big problem. It is not a long term solution as you have to believe he will catch a huge contract as a FA and teh Reds will not be able to afford it. So is grabbing him for one season worth it?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    "The Braves are listening to offers for second baseman Marcus Giles, who appears likely to be dealt for several reasons — his salary ($5.5 million or more in 2007), his pending free agency after next season, and organizational depth in middle-infield prospects... San Diego and Cincinnati are among teams interested in Giles."
    http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sp...mmeetings.html

Went from 4 teams to just 2 it seems. Looking like a greater possibility? I think so. I still imagine San Diego having the greater bid on him due to his brother being there. But, he would have to play 3B there so you never know.

If we could acquire Giles and sign Drew our offense would be in great shape. We have a small chance of getting either one by the looks of it tho, but we can dream.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sp...mmeetings.html

Went from 4 teams to just 2 it seems. Looking like a greater possibility? I think so. I still imagine San Diego having the greater bid on him due to his brother being there. But, he would have to play 3B there so you never know.
    I thought that was why they traded Barfield for that 3b spect???
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Yeah if Giles went to SD, he would play second. It said the Giants had an opening there but there has been no interest nor should there be. I rather go with a guy like Frandsen at second than Giles.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Looks like you guys are right. This may be done real soon now.

The Padres are believed close to acquiring second baseman Marcus Giles from Atlanta for setup man Scott Linebrink, a deal that could be consummated this week. One source with knowledge of the talks said that Cleveland was talking with Atlanta about acquiring Giles, which sped up the Barfield deal as the Padres look to obtain him.
    http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9788363/2

Looks like the Reds chances are slimming even further now.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    "And don't expect Scott Linebrink to go to Atlanta for second baseman Marcus Giles. 'With the way the relief pitching is shaking out, it would be difficult for us to trade Linebrink,' said Towers. 'Someone would really have to overpay. If we keep Linebrink, Giles won't happen.' Apparently, neither will Japanese infielder Akinori Iwamura. "
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...s15padres.html

So maybe Giles won't be going to the Pads afterall. Interesting...

But if it were to be a Linebrink for Giles, what do you think the Reds would have to give up. And would it be worth it? Remember, it will likely only be for one year because he is a FA in 2008.

AAA ERA
    Really I think the question is who Wouldn't we give up for Giles

MLB ERA
    Knowing Krivsky?

Griffey Jr. is untouchable and that's it.