Thread: Griffey shakes off calls to retire

MLB ERA

Griffey shakes off calls to retire

REDS NOTES

Griffey shakes off calls to retire

By Sean McClelland

Dayton Daily News

MILWAUKEE | Ken Griffey Jr. had just finished taking early batting practice Friday afternoon when he walked into the clubhouse and encountered ESPN host Jim Rome on a big television screen calling for him to retire.

This seems to be a popular theme these days. Jacob Luft of SI.com also is suggesting that Griffey's season-opening homer drought may be a sign he should hang 'em up and stop taking at-bats away from such rising stars as Wily Mo Pena and Austin Kearns.

"The sooner you shut it down, the sooner you get to Cooperstown," went Rome's TV take.

Rome has bashed Griffey through the years. Griffey thinks it's because he has refused several invitations to appear on his nationally syndicated radio show.

"I'm not one of his little clonies," Griffey said. "I should retire just because I haven't hit a ball out of the park? He should retire."

Fans of Rome's radio show commonly are called "clones." Professional athletes seem to fall into one of two camps with Rome — they either love him or hate him.

"Have you ever seen him at the ballpark?" Griffey wondered. "It's all because I won't go on his show. The only people I have to answer to is my family. Anybody else can say what they want."

Griffey entered the Milwaukee series having gone 73 at-bats without a home run, the longest season-opening dry spell of his career.

In the early hitting session, with manager Dave Miley and hitting instructor Chris Chambliss looking on, Griffey said he worked on "trying to hit the ball up the middle and just react to where it's pitched." The session was optional, but it's not unusual for Griffey to be out early getting in some swings.

"He does it a lot," Miley said. "He does it a lot at home, too."

Like Opening Day

Against right-hander Gary Glover, the Reds reverted to their Opening Day lineup, with Joe Randa hitting sixth and Kearns re-installed in the cleanup spot.

"We were talking when we got here and decided to go back and switch it up a little," Miley said.

Pena remained out of the lineup with a quadriceps strain, although he ran Friday and trainer Mark Mann said he might be available to start Sunday if he continues to progress.

Ortiz on Sunday?

Miley continued to hint that Ramon Ortiz will be activated from the disabled list and pitch Sunday in the Milwaukee series finale. At game time, the scheduled starter was still listed as "TBA," with Matt Belisle the most likely candidate to go if Ortiz can't. Ortiz, on the DL with a strained right groin, threw a 12-minute bullpen session Thursday without incident.

Milwaukee blues

A day off in Milwaukee is nobody's idea of a good time. Miley said he ate lunch, took a "power nap," then ate dinner Thursday. "There's not even a mall," the manager moaned.

For Griffey, Milwaukee holds at least one fond memory. It's where he asked his wife to marry him.

No luck at all

Minor-leaguer Rob Stratton, who tore up spring training before tearing his left Achilles' tendon and undergoing surgery April 19, tore the same tendon in a household accident and underwent his second surgery in 10 days Friday, the Reds said.

Look who's back

With radio voice Marty Brennaman away in Salisbury, N.C., being inducted into the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Assocation's Hall of Fame this weekend, Joe Nuxhall joined Steve Stewart in the booth.

Nuxhall, recovering from April 8 left knee replacement surgery, is getting around with the aid of a cane. Said a playful Griffey upon seeing Nuxhall enter the clubhouse, "You look 4 inches taller on one side."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Man I usually like listening to Rome too. But he gets a little out of hand at times. LOL at Griffey's comeback though. Go Junior!

Also, it really sucks to see Stratton getting no luck in the health department.

Jim Rome is a jerk...

AAA ERA
    yea ive never really liked rome at all.