Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Game Thread for 4/27--- Reds @ Cubs

No, your beating a dead horse. Nobody wants to see that shit.

The BoSox smacked that lil ***** Walt around last year in the playoffs.

AA ERA
    CRF: You should give LaRussa credit. He gets the most out of everyone every single year. Jocketty has been good, but LaRussa has been the brains of this organization since 1996.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    CRF: You should give LaRussa credit. He gets the most out of everyone every single year. Jocketty has been good, but LaRussa has been the brains of this organization since 1996.
    I think LaRusssa is an OK manager, but he has doon poorly in the playoffs with teams that have been expected to win the World Championship. ('90 A's for example

Jocketty has been the one who has built the Cards into a fairly consistently good team these days.

St. Louis is so lucky to have winning sports teams like the Cards and Rams.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Oddly enough, I purchased a book called "The Book on the Book" today at Barnes and Noble. Essentially, it's a statistic-geek type of book about baseball institutions and how legitimate they are from what I can gather (I haven't started reading). I took a quick skimming, and I found charts on GMs performance. Without going into specifics, based on overall performance (including acquired players in FA, trades, losing dead-weight/negative players, etc.), Jocketty placed a great 2nd place on the short term and 3rd on the long-term list. And 1st place? Wasn't Beane, Epstein, or Depodesta. Rather Flanagan-Beattie of the Orioles in the short term. As for long term, only Schuerholtz and Ryan (MIN) beat Jocketty.

As for O'Brien? 27th among active GMs on the short-term and unranked on the longterm, not as impressive. Figured I'd post it, just found it interesting.

Just for information's sake.

Top 5 short term (I think that means just 2004)

Flanagan-Beattie (BAL)
    Jocketty (STL)
    Epstein (BOS)
    Stoneman (ANA)
    Depodesta (yes, Depodesta) (LAD)

Bottom 5 short term (30th to 26th place, doesn't count residual GM moves from prior GMs)
    Garagiola (ARZ)
    Melvin (MIL)
    Bavasi (SEA)
    O'Brien (CIN)
    Baird (KCR)

I should note, CRF's swooning over Jocketty...so inappropriate. My posting of this author's ratings =/= an okay for CRF to move to Massachusetts with Jocketty and solidify their vows.

AA ERA
    Yes, but LaRussa gets a lot out of those players. They are good mainly because Tony knows to use them. Steve Kline has had a rough time with the Orioles and he talked about how he misses Tony and Stl.

I actually think Doug Melvin has done a good job in his short time with the Brewers. I am not sure why he is ranked low. He is right there in the pack for Good GMs.

I am guessing it is based purely on 2004's performance in that specific ranking group rather than his body of work. Once I read the book, maybe I can get you a better answer.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    I should note, CRF's swooning over Jocketty...so inappropriate. My posting of this author's ratings =/= an okay for CRF to move to Massachusetts with Jocketty and solidify their vows.
    Inappropriate, huh?

If realism is mixed up with "inappropriate" behavior these days, then I guess I do need to hed to Massachusetts.

Thanks for that excellent list, BTW.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    I'm just saying... LaRussa is known for choking with talented teams.

I'm not complaining(since he did it in '90 against the Reds), but it is certainly a known thing around MLB.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011