Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: reds draft

reds draft

grrrrrrr...

the reds drafted robert stubbs, a toolsy centerfielder out of texas with their first pick. Is Jim Bowden still calling the shots here? Well i suppose it makes sense, we haven't picked a highly rated tools oriented center fielder in a long time and they want to keep our farm system balanced... oh wait, crap.

Baseball America's 3rd rated prospect in the draft, RHP Tim Lincecum went 10nth to the giants.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Man this pisses me off! Why did they go with another outfielder? This is a definitely bad mark on Krivsky's "trying to be a good GM" resume. This is likely the most important part of his job. We need to get better through our system and get some more arms somehow. How is Krivsky planning on doing that now?

UGGGGGH

AA ERA
    Drew Stubbs, of
    School: Texas. Class: Jr.
    Hometown: Atlanta, Texas
    B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-4. Wt.: 201. Birthdate: 10/4/84.
    Scouting Report: Stubbs was considered a borderline first-round talent coming out of high school in 2003. He would have signed with the Astros for $900,000 as a third-rounder if Major League Baseball hadn't persuaded Houston owner Drayton McLane not to exceed its bonus recommendation. Had he turned pro then, scouts wouldn't have to fret over his bat now. The best athlete in college baseball, Stubbs is a potential Gold Glove center fielder with plus raw power, plus-plus speed and an average arm. Though he has improved his approach and is using the whole field more as a junior, scouts believe his bat is far from a sure thing. He has struck out roughly once a game throughout his Longhorns career, and his contact rate hasn't improved this spring. He also hit a soft .304 with wood bats while on Team USA last summer. He still ranks second behind only Evan Longoria among position prospects in 2006. In last year's draft, which was much deeper in hitters, Stubbs would have lasted until the late first round. But with a scarcity of position players this year, he could go as high as No. 6 overall to the Tigers and probably won't get past the top 10 picks.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    This tells me a few things.

1.) Bard and Lincecum.... great college pitchers on board (and Lincecum being very close the bigs) but who needs 'em? It's not like we have a lack of depth of quality arms..... seriously what is up with Krivsky? We have cut/traded away some marginal arms already and when we have a great slot to pick and guys who they didn't expect to stick around to us around, we go for someone that doesn't even address any of our organizational needs? Buckley is running the show here I know, but Kriv has to have final say.
    2.) Bowden, is that you?
    3.) Dunn and Griffey probably don't have much longer with Bruce and Stubbs, you know that's what they're thinking.
    4.) It's better than Colvin.
    5.) Drew freaking Stubbs? Come on!

MLB ERA
    Bard is pretty average. Stubbs is a legit top 10 pick (although not a very good one), Bard isn't. Lincecum would cost significantly more than Stubbs and has serious questions about his control and his arm due to enormous pitch counts. I'm pissed the M's passed on Lincecum too, but I guess I understand.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinersFan87
    Bard is pretty average. Stubbs is a legit top 10 pick (although not a very good one), Bard isn't. Lincecum would cost significantly more than Stubbs and has serious questions about his control and his arm due to enormous pitch counts. I'm pissed the M's passed on Lincecum too, but I guess I understand.
    Bard is better than average. We don't ****ing need Stubbs, that's it, end of story. And I don't care about draft budgets, we're going to continue to suck for years to come because we make poor choices (be it finacial or lack of scouting talent) in the draft each season. Look at the Red Sox, sure they have a ton of picks this year, but they're still extremely solid picks from top to bottom so far. It's catcher or pitcher or about anything other than outfield in terms of organizational needs.

And dude, I told you that about Lincecum on my last article. That doesn't mean I would be upset with him considering our shortage of arms and at the 8th pick. Miller's stock has fallen though considering the injury (or rumored injury, whatever it is now.)

Crap, Huff is gone to the Indians. I would of loved to get him in the 2nd.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It says to me that Bruce, Stubbs, and Kearns are the outfielders of the future. Dunn will either be a 1B or a DH for an AL team. Griffey will either be retired or a DH for an AL team as well.

C'mon, Kriv. Unless we have the same scouts that we had when we were picking the likes of Brandon Larson, this is a garbage pick. We need arms!
    rf28

MLB ERA
    Did you see Bard's number vs. teams in the top 40? His ERA was in the 8's IIRC.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Watson! I can live with that for pick 52.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I just know what I know from his stats and a few limited scouting reports like this. Anyone think we can try to risk it and convert him to a starter since he throws about 4 pitches?

Tennessee has developed a pipeline from South Florida, and Watson came to Knoxville after a celebrated prep career in Miami that included a stint on USA Baseball's youth national team. He was a 21st-round pick by the Giants in 2003, and blossomed into a hard-throwing reliever with an aggressive approach, after splitting time between the pen and Tennessee's rotation. Watson has two above-average pitches in his fastball and knuckle-curveball and can dial his fastball up to 94 mph, pitching at 90-92. His knuckle-curveball is a hard, tumbling pitch at 82-85 mph. Like his fastball, his secondary stuff is inconsistent, due in part to a lack of focus on the mound and inconsistent mechanics. Watson's arm works well, but he falls off the mound and spins out of his delivery, which leads to an inconsistent release point and erratic command. He's not timid, but his concentration seems to drift from outing to outing. He has some feel for a slider and changeup, and can be a successful reliever if he learns to command his two top pitches.

MLB ERA
    Watson is a fantastic pick. Didn't he have a dissapointing year though?

that's why i wanted Lincecum, who could have actually helped the reds in '08 when we're going to be really nasty. i hope for our sake that we can at least get stubbs hitting consistantly so this isn't a total bust.

i think i've figured out what krivsky is doing, it's sort of like a tribute to Jim Bowden. Second round: Sean Watson, inconsistant college closer! Ryan Wagner eat your heart out.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinersFan87
    Did you see Bard's number vs. teams in the top 40? His ERA was in the 8's IIRC.
    No I haven't bro, if you can provide a link, I'd be curious just to see how bad he was. But still, Stubbs upside is Mike Cameron. When a top ten pick's most questionable talent is his bat, that concerns me a lot when I'd rather take the gamble on a pitcher like Lincecum or even Bard since that does address an organziational need. Bruce last year I was fine with, but there is nothing that thrills me about Stubbs considering what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    I just know what I know from his stats and a few limited scouting reports like this. Anyone think we can try to risk it and convert him to a starter since he throws about 4 pitches?
    i certainly hope so. maybe we can turn him into mike mussina with that curve ball he throws and low ninties heat.
    Reds MVP Race

i guess we just have to hope that the strategy of taking the "best available" players, leads to more draftees turning into legit prospects percentage wise, that can be dealt if they don't fit our needs.
    Reds MVP Race

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast