Thread: Sportscenter: All Reds fans must see

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Sportscenter: All Reds fans must see

Harold Reynolds breaks down Griffey's swing in a way to show what his problem is. He shows a film of the Griffey of last season, and a film of the Griffey of this season. The problem comes with the placement of his hands. They are lower than usual which inevitably cause him to pull back further, then come through the zone later. So he is late on almost every fastball. A great find by the ESPN analyst and a great story told.

MLB ERA
    I think Harold is an excellent analyst, and this is exactly why. He is very good at seeing things such as this.

He also mentioned how one of Griffey's arms usually "disappears" underneath him as he's swinging, yet right now it isn't going under quite as much... meaning he probably isn't getting quite the lift he usually does.

I think he'll be OK and will start hitting soon, but I don't want him batting second regardless.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I'm cool with him hitting second if he is doing just that. Hitting second, not batting second. (or taking up the second spot in the batting order as he has been doing).

Could it be that Griffey's old teamate might become the savior of Griffey's problems. I bet he watches tonight, or gets a phone call from someone to tell him to watch and he may find his stroke soon enough. i wonder if Chambliss has caught this before Reynolds did. Maybe it is that Reynolds has seen his swing for years. And Chambliss for last year while he was healthy.

MLB ERA
    I miss the days he was with the M's. His golden years for sure. When he left, I didn't really care, because it was to the NL, and we knew he wanted out. Just so sad what happened to him.
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3...irosig6vx8.jpg
    http://strike3forums.com/images/Mari...riners-sig.jpg
    Mariners Artwork | Request a Sig
    Circular logic aside, Mr Mims, you have yet to provide a single credible reason why you are, in fact, hot.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I'm cool with him hitting second if he is doing just that. Hitting second, not batting second. (or taking up the second spot in the batting order as he has been doing).

Could it be that Griffey's old teamate might become the savior of Griffey's problems. I bet he watches tonight, or gets a phone call from someone to tell him to watch and he may find his stroke soon enough. i wonder if Chambliss has caught this before Reynolds did. Maybe it is that Reynolds has seen his swing for years. And Chambliss for last year while he was healthy.

I think this could help him out. You're right... he probably was watching that or someone told him/will tell him about it.

Reynolds has always been in Griffey's boat and I know he wants to see the hits(including HR) coming soon.

I think they will.

(BTW: I really think he should hit 4th or 5th in the lineup for now... and if he does in fact start hitting, I'd move him up to 3rd. I don't think the second spot his good for him)
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

AAA ERA
    Tracy jones was talking about his swing today, someone else had made a comment about it being longer then it used to be

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thanks NFLman. I hope something comes quick because of this.

Anyhow, the analysis will be on BBTN here shortly. Catch it if you can guys.

AAA ERA
    who is tracy jones?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by griffeyfan30
    who is tracy jones?
    He hosts the show "Extra Innings" on 700 WLW on weekends(after Reds games. He talks to callers about the team, etc.) and he used to play for the team.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    It is about 3 EST and Griffey really should be in the cages taking bp right now. Chambliss should be there with him as they await today's batting practice on the field. Get those hands up Junior. Work on it all day today as Pena should start in your place. Get it down and be prepared to go against Zambrano.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NFLman2033
    Tracy jones was talking about his swing today, someone else had made a comment about it being longer then it used to be
    Yep, due to what CRF and redsr mentioned, in order to catch up to those fastballs he is starting his swing earlier and that's why he looks so miserable on a breaking ball on a two strike count.

What Griffey needs is to talk to Sr. Phyiscally I see nothing wrong with him that would prevent him from having a great season, it's all mechanics. Shorten the swing and return to his old mechanics, and he will be back IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    Yep, due to what CRF and redsr mentioned, in order to catch up to those fastballs he is starting his swing earlier and that's why he looks so miserable on a breaking ball on a two strike count.

What Griffey needs is to talk to Sr. Phyiscally I see nothing wrong with him that would prevent him from having a great season, it's all mechanics. Shorten the swing and return to his old mechanics, and he will be back IMO.
    I'd like to believe it's nothing physical, but i think there is plenty of evidence at this point that players coming back from major surgery often have a bad but "healthy" year. Unfortunately griffey has never had that bad but "healthy" year, he keeps getting injured, and having to do it all over again (though his start to last year was strong for a while).

MLB ERA
    I don't think it's anything physical at all.

He has still made nice catches in the gaps. His swing has been the only big problem.

I think it'll come around, and soon.